none
Android RDP client Right Shift Key BUG - Easy to reproduce RRS feed

• Question

• When having a physical usb keyboard  (normal full size QWERTY with 2 shift keys) attached to any android tablet tested so far, the following issue exists.

Connect with RDP to your RDP server

Open notepad

Type a captital E with the RIGHT SHIFT key pressed 
    Release the RIGHT SHIFT key, while keeping the E key pressed 
    While still keeping the E key pressed, press the RIGHT SHIFT key 2 times

Voila, now your shift key is stuck. 
    Typing 123 turns to !@# … And there is no way to undo other than disconnect and reconnect.

This issue exists in connecting to Server 2012R2 / Server 2016. Tested with several tablets and android versions. Also tested the Beta version. tested various Logitech and Microsoft USB attached keyboards. My guess it it present in all Android versions, supporting the Microsoft RDP app.

It happens also when typing capitals, but this is the simplest way to reproduce the bug.

• Edited by HellRaiser666 Friday, February 15, 2019 6:00 PM forgot stuff
    Friday, February 15, 2019 5:59 PM

All replies

• hi,
    if you Type a capital E with the left SHIFT key pressed ,does the problem persist ?
    if you Type a capital B with the right shift key pressed ,does the problem persist ?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 18, 2019 7:27 AM
  • With the left shift key no issues. No matter what letter you type.

With the Right Shift key, as discribed, it does not matter what letter you type. So yes, with a B the issue persist.

With the left key, it does not matter what letter you type..

As discribed in the Opening Post, Type ANY capital letter (With the Right shift key) and keep the letter key pressed. When you (with the letter key pressed) hit the Right shift key TWICE the shift key is locked. Of course only with a physical keyboard.

Monday, February 18, 2019 2:52 PM
  • I have several users experiencing the same Stuck 'Shift' key behavior....including myself.  In our scenario we are using Samsung Galaxy S9 and Note 9 devices to RDP into Windows Server 2012, 2016 2019 and Windows 10 desktop systems.  It's breaking the usability for a strategic scenario we were pursuing. :(

Monday, February 18, 2019 10:15 PM
  • hi,
    "And there is no way to undo other than disconnect and reconnect." Not exactly.
    "My guess it it present in all Android versions, supporting the Microsoft RDP app." Not exactly.

yes ,when we use Microsoft Remote Desktop app on Android device ,if there is no third party input software which is installed on mobile phone to be used in remote session ,I can reproduced your issue.(I tested it on oppo R9S phone by using Microsoft Remote Desktop version 8.1.61.323)
    if there is third party input software which is installed on mobile phone to be used in remote session ,your problem will disappear. like picture ,
    The yellow tripartite input software which is installed on my mobile phone by default is forced to be used first in remote sessions. (I test it on XIAOMI 4 phone by using Microsoft Remote Desktop version 8.1.61.323 )

So thanks for your feedbacking this issue ,i will summarize this case and send it to related team.
    Now when we occur this issue ,we can click left shift key to unlock this stuck mode temporarily . It seem no need to disconnect the remote session.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 3:42 AM
  • TY for your investigation.

Since this is a workaroud, and not a solution of the issue, i would not mark it as solved :)

The problem of course exists with a hardware attached (External Physical) keyboard.

If i attach a hardware keyboard, it would not make sense to add another 3rd party input software? Correct? Since i would use the 3rd party input software, and not the hardware keyboard.

Good you could reproduce the error though. Looking forward to see the implemented solution.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:46 AM
  • OK,It will take some time to fix this problem. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Monday, March 4, 2019 3:36 AM
  • I am also experiencing this and its making RDP unusable, any updates?
    Monday, October 14, 2019 6:47 PM
  • Very annoying ! Why don't we have a fix ?
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Yes, agreed.  I'm having the same problem.  Could you please investigate and get a bug fix as soon as possible?

Thanks!

Monday, November 11, 2019 4:52 AM