none
Windows Server Technical Preview Hyper-V Update-VmConfigurationVersion Boot Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I wanted to try out the new features in Windows Server Developer Preview released this week so I installed it and ran a live migration on some virtual machines which worked but then I tried to run the command to update the virtual machine configuration format to version 6 which enables the new features.

I ran:

Update-VmConfigurationVersion NameOfVm

This is detailed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn765471.aspx#BKMK_ConfgVersion

But now the VM refuses to boot and switches to PXE Network Boot.

Please can you let me know how I can fix the VM and get it to boot again.

The VM is running Windows Server 2012 R2

Thanks

Robin

Edit: I have now found that the VM will boot if I turn off the Secure Boot option in the VM settings but is there a way to enable it to boot with the secure option turned on?

Robin Wilson

• Edited by robinwilson16 Sunday, October 5, 2014 4:55 PM
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:44 PM Relocate to a more appropriate forum
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 4:27 PM

Answers

• Can you try enabling secure boot and running the following PowerShell cmd:

Set-VMFirmware -VMName "Name of your VM" –SecureBootTemplate MicrosoftWindows

And let me know if that works?

Cheers,
    Ben

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:56 PM

All replies

• Can you try enabling secure boot and running the following PowerShell cmd:

Set-VMFirmware -VMName "Name of your VM" –SecureBootTemplate MicrosoftWindows

And let me know if that works?

Cheers,
    Ben

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Hello Ben

Thanks for the help in this thread as well!

Again your command has fixed the issue.

Do you know if I upgrade my VMs to version 6 is this likely to cause incompatibilities later as could the specification for version 6 change or do you think it will be ok?

Thanks

Robin

Robin Wilson

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:09 PM
  • Thanks Ben, your solution worked for me as well. Did an upgrade from 2012R2 to the preview in my lab. Also, upgrading solved my issues with adding the 3dremotefx adapter back to the vm's. 
    Monday, October 13, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Just as a further followup I have now migrated about 15 VMs to the new version (not version 6 as I said previously) and it has gone well and all VMs are working well including a Linux generation 2 VM.

Hoping this won't cause issues with future versions of Server 10!

Robin

Robin Wilson

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:40 PM
  • For VMs running Linux the PowerShell command to get them to work with Secure Boot is:

Set-VMFirmware vmname -SecureBootTemplate MicrosoftUEFICertificateAuthority

Robin Wilson

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 1:17 PM