none
Add range of IP address on DNS server

Question

• Hi,

We are having Windows 2003 R2 server configured with AD & DNS. We need to add *.example.com with a range of IP address ( for example 192.168.1.0 /23) on the DNS server. Actually *.example.com is using dynamic IP address within the mentioned range. How can this to be added on DNS server? Any help will be appreciated.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, if you want to add a new IP range for your domain, you need to configure that on your DHCP server. DNS server just stores zone date for name resolution.

Besides, please refer to the link below, it may be helpful.

Increasing the number of IP addresses on a subnet in DHCP Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255999

In addition, I would be appreciate it if you can provide detail information about your needs.

Best regards,

Susie 

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:36 AM
  • in your example supernet 192.168.1.0/23, you will have 512 addresses, 510 of which can be assigned to hosts, and one or more of those may be used for router interfaces or similar.
    So you will have maybe 509 addresses you can use for hosts.
    You want to create in bulk, DNS "A" record and DNS "PTR" record for each of these?
    e.g.
    host01.example.com  192.168.1.1
    host02.example.com  192.168.1.2
    etc

?

Or, you wish to have a large range of IP addresses, resolve to a single hostname?
    e.g.
    host01.example.com  192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3

Or, you wish to have a large number of hostnames, resolve to a single IP address?
    e.g.
    host01.example.com  192.168.1.1
    host02.example.com  192.168.1.1
    etc
    (or you could use CNAME instead of A)

It's not quite clear from your question, which scenario is your goal?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

@Susie.. Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestion obviously.

@Donpick... On your example, its scenario 1 or 2. But as its huge number of IPs, bit difficult to add like this. Is there anyway to add range of IPs?

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Any updates?

Please feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:49 AM
  • Hi Susie,

I have not tried that solution till now due to some other priority activities. I will let you know ASAP.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

Have you solved this issue?

If yes, I would appreciate it if you can share your troubleshooting steps with us.

Best regard,

Susie

Sunday, November 24, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Hi Susie,

As per your suggestion, we have increased number of IP addresses on DHCP server. Also added another DNS as forwarder. On the first look, everything is working very fine. Also some manual test passed without any issue. Now we gave it to our Test team to finalize the testing. It will be completed by EOD today. But as per unofficial information, everything is working fine.

Really thanks for the prompt help and sorry for the delayed response from my side.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:42 AM