none
Can't connect to shared printer on Windows 7 Pro x64

Question

• I have a print server on Windows 2008 Standard and I have drivers installed for both x86 and x64 archs. The ricoh printer seems to work fine on windows 7 pro x64 but the hp printer will not work correctly. It seems to download/install the drivers but when actually connecting to the printer it errors out.

It says cannot connect to printer.

I can add the printer manually if I use tcp/ip printing instead of connecting to the shared printer. I can't figure out why its not working. Has anyone else seen an error like this? I'm not really sure what is causing this issue.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:47 PM

Answers

• Contact HP and explain the issue.  What I have seen from other HP drivers for printers installed on 32bit machines is a printer registry reference to a 32bit file in the BIDI key of the printer.  The 64bit machine cannot load this file.  If you install the same printer on a 64bit machine the HP driver installer does not write this file key.  I complained about this to one of the HP driver developers here in Redmond.  He does not know why they have this key.  He did state it is part of the HP network printer monitor.    This key was removed from any 32bit machine sharing a printer that uses those drivers but here in MS land all the print servers are x64 and have been for a couple of years so we are no longer impacted by this HP driver issue.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTERNAME\CopyFiles\BIDI

spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\hpzpnp.dll

If you have something like this, you can export the key, then delete the value or the key. 

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:41 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Is there a hexadecimal error associated with the failure?  Error 2 is file not found.  I've seen this fail when there are color profiles associated with the device that are not installed on the server.  Error 5 is access denied but you will normally hit this before any files are installed on the client.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Please also let us know the exact model of this HP printer.

If possible, please reproduce this issue on the Windows7 client and collect the relevant information for further research.

Step 1: Download Process Monitor

======================

1. Please download the Process Monitor at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2. Extract the zip file to Desktop.

Step 2: Clean Boot
    =============
    Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:  

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.  

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Step 3: Collect the Information

=====================

1. Open Procmon.exe (Process Monitor).

2. Reproduce this issue.

3. After that, please click Capture in the tool bar (or directly press Ctrl+E) in Process Monitor.

4. Click Save, in the prompt window, selects “All Events”.

5. Click Browser Button (The button is right to “Path”), in the prompt window, click Desktop, type “test” (without the quotation marks) in the File Name box and press Enter.

6. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=7f161e43-e9d9-4654-9077-88c9f57137c6)

Password: YK]yhkqqV0L

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:06 AM
  • I did some more testing last night and realized it works on 32 bit systems. So I made a print server with 2008 r2 as a test. I added the printer and shared it out and it worked perfectly with the win 7 64 bit system now. I don't get why that would happen because I'm positive I have the 64 bit driver installed on the server for the regular print server that is running windows 2008 standard (32 bit). 

Also, I'm using an HP 2320fxi laser multi-function printer. I did the capture with procmon and uploaded the zip file to that workspace.

I found a workaround but i'm not sure why it works exactly. If i add the same shared printer from the 2008 r2 print server and reboot the printer on the 32 bit server shows up just fine. Any idea why that would work?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:59 PM
  • The client now has the proper file set to use the printer after getting the files from the 64bit machine. 
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:01 PM
    Answerer
  • But the server has 64 bit drivers for that printer. I also have another printer and installed the x64 driver there and it works without needing to do that. I just don't get why I have to do that just with the HP printer. I have two other printers and I only have 32 bit drivers installed on the server and it works out of the box fine. Is there something I can do so I don't have to connect it to the 64 bit server? 

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:35 PM
  • I would contact HP and explain the issue you are experiencing.

What I have seen from other HP drivers when installed for a printer on 32bit is a registry key that points to a 32bit file (I've already complained to HP about this).  This file cannot be loaded by the 64bit system.  The thing that annoys me is HP total gets this.  When you install the same printer on 64bit, their driver installer does not create this registry key and file pointer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTERNAME\CopyFiles\BIDI

If you see an entry like this, export the key, then delete either the pointer to the 32bit file or the entire BIDI registry key.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:30 AM
    Answerer
  • Contact HP and explain the issue.  What I have seen from other HP drivers for printers installed on 32bit machines is a printer registry reference to a 32bit file in the BIDI key of the printer.  The 64bit machine cannot load this file.  If you install the same printer on a 64bit machine the HP driver installer does not write this file key.  I complained about this to one of the HP driver developers here in Redmond.  He does not know why they have this key.  He did state it is part of the HP network printer monitor.    This key was removed from any 32bit machine sharing a printer that uses those drivers but here in MS land all the print servers are x64 and have been for a couple of years so we are no longer impacted by this HP driver issue.

If you have something like this, you can export the key, then delete the value or the key. 

Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:41 AM
    Answerer
  • Scenario:

Printer servers :  Windows 2003 R2 SP2( Server A)

Print ques working if Client PC is windows XP 32 bit for the follwing printers:

Kyocera Mita FS1800+

HP Deskjet 500+

HP Business Ink jet 2800

But when I add x64 drivers and trying to connect Windows 7(64 bit) it displays "cannot connect error : operation failed error 0X00000003

All the 3 Printer queue has been installed on Server B ( Win 2003 SP2 32 bit) - [NOT R2]) and all test print worked from both 32 & 64 Bit client versions. The same test has been conducted on another server Server C which has W2003 R2 SP2 ( same version as Server A) and all printing tested successfully. The drivers used for the testing are as follows

For 2 HP Print queue - Universal PCL 5 Version

For 1 Kyocera Print Queue - Native drivers ( 32 bit & 64 Bit)

I can see CopyFiles\BIDI registry key for HP printers but not for Kyocera printer so I doubt this may fix the issue I am facing.

I have no clue what to check in my Server A.any suggestions ?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:32 PM
  • this is error 3

C:\>winerror 3
         3 ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc000003a STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
         3 ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc000009b STATUS_DFS_EXIT_PATH_FOUND
         3 ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc00000fb STATUS_REDIRECTOR_NOT_STARTED

How did the printers and drivers get installed on the server?  Is Server A using any DNS alias or Cname record?

Launch printmanagement.msc on one of the client machines.  Take a look at the installed print drivers.  Now make the connection to A.  Does the driver get installed, then error 3 or no driver with error?

If the driver is not installed, check the list of files required by the driver and confirm they exist on the machine sharing the printer.  If there is a print processor required in the printer definition make sure the same file name is used by the 64bit driver.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:19 AM
    Answerer
  • launched  printmanagement.msc and  removed all the existing installed driver from windows 7(64 bit) PC. Now if I am trying to connect \\servername\printer it says " Printer cant connect" . My print server already have the drivers .....but its not connecting to the printer at first place in order to download and install the driver from Print server.and if I make other server a printer server (server B & C mentioned above) it works without any issue. 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:15 PM
  • When making creating a printer connection on Windows 7, the first thing that occurs is the driver files are copied from the server OR the driver files are copied from Windows Update if the policy is set to search WU.  The next thing that occurs is the print driver is installed on the client machine.  Once the print driver is installed, the settings for the printer that are on the server are copied and the connection is added to the client machine.

When in the above process is the failure occuring?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes ..correct !! I can browse to the printer from \\Servername . And when I right click on printer and press connect it would give me the error " Printer cant connect" . It happnes for all the prnters that I mentioned above.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:10 AM
  • I mean that process is not happening in this case that you mentioned.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:20 AM
  • I assume this is the true machine and not an alias or Cname.  When you open the Printer Folder on the remote machine (it's in the explorer window near the top) can you see any printers?

Also, open a command prompt on the client

dir \\servername\print$

you should see something like this

<DIR>          .
    <DIR>          ..
    <DIR>          color
    <DIR>          IA64
    <DIR>          W32X86
    <DIR>          x64

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Here is the output for \\servername\print$

04/29/2010  02:09 AM    <DIR>          .
    04/29/2010  02:09 AM    <DIR>          ..
    04/29/2010  02:09 AM    <DIR>          color
    02/27/2007  03:34 AM    <DIR>          IA64
    02/27/2007  03:34 AM    <DIR>          W32ALPHA
    04/29/2010  02:09 AM    <DIR>          W32X86
    02/27/2007  03:34 AM    <DIR>          WIN40
                   0 File(s)              0 bytes
                   7 Dir(s)  298,291,253,248 bytes free

I could not understand about true machine or alias name ???

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:08 AM
  • I know that this thread is pretty old, but we had the same issue with a hp p2055 series shared by a server 2008 x86 to windows 7 pro 64bit clients stopping installation with 0x0000007e error.

Deleting the registry key/value did not solve the problem, but installing the same driver version for x86 and x64 did it.

(we installed the x86 driver months ago on the 2008 server and I just added a recent x64 driver I found at HP's support area. so the installed drivers did not have the same driver version number. deleting both and installing them again with the recently downloaded drivers did the trick)

HTH
    • Proposed as answer by maxschaf Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Even though this is pretty old this helped me today. we had a print server Windows 2008 32 bit and I was trying to install a HP Printer on Windows 8 64 bit machine but didn't work out. I had to delete the BIDI key and it started working!!!

Thank you very much  and appreciate the well explained solution.

Monday, December 02, 2013 2:13 PM
  • We have an HP color printer that threw the same error described above today!
    I replaced the path of the BIDI entry in the registry with the  (English?) BIDI PNP dll,
             C:\Windows\System32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\hpcpn155.dll

Seems to function correctly now.
    Note: Deleting the key didn't change the error for us.

Our Server is a Windows 2003 R2 sp2 x32 Standard

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Any time you change printers and especially a HP UPD upgrade, you should recreate the print queue. Do it manually or use HP's AutoUpgradeUPD tool (found in the PARK). Otherwise devmode corruption can/will occur.

No reason not to use the HP UPD for the P2055 printer.

Error code likely means STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND:

Q:\>winerror 0x0000007e
       126 ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc0000135 STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:40 AM
  • We had this issue with an HP M602 Series printers on our Windows 2008 Print Server.  We reinstalled the printers on the print server and that resolved it.  We were thinking a bad driver may have progogated down to the printers
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:29 PM