none
Error 2155348249 When trying to backup systemstate on windows 2008 using windowsserverbackup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I have Windows 2008 standard R2. Whenever I tried to backup systemstate via windowserverbackup, it failed and gave me event 521 and error 2155348249 and saying there is not enough space to create vss.....
    However, if I did backup other folders, it went though fine.  I have lot of free diskspace on C.  I couldn't find any solution on web.  I increased vssadmin shadowstorage, and no help.
    Any ideas?
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

System State Backup or Bare Metal Recovery backup involve all the "Critical" volumes for VSS snapshot. Each of these critical volumes will require the free space mentioned earlier by Dale Qiao earlier. You can get the list of critical volumes by doing: wbadmin start backup -systemstate -backuptarget:<> OR wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:<>. Make sure you are meeting the free space requirements for all these partitions.

If the free space on System partition (100 MB) is < 50 MB then you can free up the space by deleting "USN Change Journal". Deleting this should not have any negative impact.

• Through Diskmgmt.msc Assign a drive letter to System partition (S:)
    • Query the USN journal: fsutil usn queryjournal S:
    • If enabled, delete the journal: fsutil usn deletejournal /D S:
    • Verify the free space on System partition & retry Windows backup.

If the free space problem does not get solved, then follow this link on how to change your system partition using diskmgmt.msc & bcdboot.exe. You can make your boot (Windows) partition as the System partition.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce

For helping others, please also do the investigation if there is an Application that is putting extra files on System partition. Please confirm if this helps.

Regards,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]
    ------- This information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.-------

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, error code 2155348249 could be caused by small size of System volume. Please check what the system volume size is, the default size is 100 MB. If the system volume is smaller than 100 MB, please take the following steps to extend the size:

1)      Create a new volume at the end of the disk that was 150MB in size

2)      Move the contents of the original system volume to the new volume.

3)      Set the new volume active.

4)      Boot into WinRE and 'fixed' the BCD so that it had the correct pointers to the proper volumes.

5)      Delete the original system volume.

Meanwhile, I found the following similar issue saying that the problem could also be caused by boot volume created by OEM tools. You could visit it for more information:

Win2008 Backup Failure: Volume Shadow copy operation failed for backup volumes with following error code '2155348129'

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/d5daada2-b78b-4935-bd9e-80726c26c4a8/

If the issue persists, please check the C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup_Error-XX-XX-XX.log and see if any detailed information could be found.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Thanks for response.   I checked and found the system volume size is 100MB.  All I found from log is file is etl extenstion.  I used tracerpt to convert to txt file and find the content like below

<Events>

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Guid="{9e814aad-3204-11d2-9a82-006008a86939}" />

<EventID>0</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>0</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x0</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-04T16:27:02.923462900Z" />

<Correlation ActivityID="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" />

<Execution ProcessID="3736" ThreadID="6840" ProcessorID="0" KernelTime="45" UserTime="0" />

<Channel />

<Computer />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BufferSize">   10240</Data>

<Data Name="Version">83951878</Data>

<Data Name="ProviderVersion">    7600</Data>

<Data Name="NumberOfProcessors">      16</Data>

<Data Name="EndTime">129437594090204505</Data>

<Data Name="TimerResolution">  156001</Data>

<Data Name="MaxFileSize">       5</Data>

<Data Name="LogFileMode">0x2</Data>

<Data Name="BuffersWritten">     170</Data>

<Data Name="StartBuffers">       1</Data>

<Data Name="PointerSize">       8</Data>

<Data Name="EventsLost">       0</Data>

<Data Name="CPUSpeed">    2127</Data>

<Data Name="LoggerName">0x5</Data>

<Data Name="LogFileName">0x5</Data>

<Data Name="BootTime">129437577975343966</Data>

<Data Name="PerfFreq">2078085</Data>

<Data Name="StartTime">129437584229234629</Data>

<Data Name="ReservedFlags">0x1</Data>

<Data Name="BuffersLost">       0</Data>

<Data Name="SessionNameString">WbadminUIInBuiltTracing</Data>

<Data Name="LogFileNameString">C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\WbadminUI.0.etl</Data>

</EventData>

<RenderingInfo Culture="en-US">

<Opcode>Header</Opcode>

<Provider>MSNT_SystemTrace</Provider>

<EventName xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/trace">EventTrace</EventName>

</RenderingInfo>

<ExtendedTracingInfo xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/trace">

<EventGuid>{68fdd900-4a3e-11d1-84f4-0000f80464e3}</EventGuid>

</ExtendedTracingInfo>

The same info keeps repeating over and over.  I don't think I get any useful information from this log. I am totally lost now.  
    I still couldn't backup systemstate.  I have another identical server and the backup for systemstate work fines.  All partitions on both servers are the same.  It's so strange.
    Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Ensure that the backup destination is formatted in NTFS. Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) requires an NTFS volume with enough free disk space for each physical or virtual disk volume to cache the data. Meanwhile, check the free space of backup destination, for all volumes to be backup up, the minimum required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. This applies to both the backup storage destination and volumes included in the backup. Minimum requirement: For volumes less than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 50 megabytes of free space. For volumes more than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 320 megabytes of free space. At least 1 gigabyte of free disk space on each volume if volume size is more than 1 gigabyte.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, March 11, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Thanks,

I checked and all meet minimum requirement including NTFS, and back up still failed.  I will try to see if I can open the case with Microsoft today and will post if the solution if found.  In the meantimes, if you have any other ideas, and I am willing to try.

Thanks

Friday, March 11, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hello,

System State Backup or Bare Metal Recovery backup involve all the "Critical" volumes for VSS snapshot. Each of these critical volumes will require the free space mentioned earlier by Dale Qiao earlier. You can get the list of critical volumes by doing: wbadmin start backup -systemstate -backuptarget:<> OR wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:<>. Make sure you are meeting the free space requirements for all these partitions.

If the free space on System partition (100 MB) is < 50 MB then you can free up the space by deleting "USN Change Journal". Deleting this should not have any negative impact.

• Through Diskmgmt.msc Assign a drive letter to System partition (S:)
    • Query the USN journal: fsutil usn queryjournal S:
    • If enabled, delete the journal: fsutil usn deletejournal /D S:
    • Verify the free space on System partition & retry Windows backup.

If the free space problem does not get solved, then follow this link on how to change your system partition using diskmgmt.msc & bcdboot.exe. You can make your boot (Windows) partition as the System partition.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce

For helping others, please also do the investigation if there is an Application that is putting extra files on System partition. Please confirm if this helps.

Regards,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]
    ------- This information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.-------

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hi

when you start to backup from systemstate ,first system create a volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and boot partition .

this error appear when system try to create volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and free space of this partition is low .

for repair this problem following this instruction :

type "compmgmt.msc" in run or open computer managment

1- go to storage --> disk managment

2- right click on system reserved partition and click properties

3- go to shadow copies tab and then click setting

4- change " located on this volume" to another partition

5- now , start backup systemstate agian.

GoodLuck

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Thanks for the above reply.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi, Hamed !

I'm having the same problem with my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit  (see Error Codes 0x80780119 and 0x81000019...) : the "Windows Back-up" and "System Image Back-up" don't work !!

But... I'm not able to find the 'Shadowcopy Tab' options in my "Computer Management" utility, I mean after right-clicked 'property' on system-reserved partition.... (as in Your above proposed solution).

(sigh)

Can anyone help me, please (if You can) ???   I'm wondering all of this in many threads about Windows 7, and this Yours solution was to seem to be the best !!!

Many Thanks a lot in advance,

Alfredo from Italy

Sunday, May 1, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Hi Xevios

you use this command in windows 7

vssadmin resize shadowstorage

befor use this command you start volume shadow service in services.

use this link for more help:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342534,00.asp

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:17 AM
  • This problem should not exist.  It is a windows program utility disagreeing with a windows operating system flaw that sets the System partition too small.  There should be a utility program provided by Microsoft to fix this problem without all of these workarounds.  Why isn't the default system partition 200 MB instead of 100MB.  This is a flaw in the engineering of microsoft products.  People should beable to create a back up with NO problems.  I would expect microsoft to pay more attention to its customers. 

This is why people get annoyed with microsoft.

So far all of these solutions put user Data at risk of being lost.  So lets risk losing our data so we can create a back up.  How backward is that.  Microsoft needs to create a utility program to fix it and not just rely on customers who are smarter than microsoft is to provide solutions

Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Just today faced this problem... restarting VSS was enough to me, so, thank you very much! My problem was that after restoring OS from external HDD to my internal SSD, VSS turned off. So i ware unable to create new image with major changes in it. (Strange, it did not happen previous two restoration operations... )
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hi

when you start to backup from systemstate ,first system create a volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and boot partition .

this error appear when system try to create volume shadow copy of system reserved partition and free space of this partition is low .

GoodLuck

This worked like a charm and was by far the simplest solution as I could take some free space at the back end of the drive.

Thanks, -=Chris

• Proposed as answer by jodiddy Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:31 PM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Nice workaround progentCT!!

My System Reserve volume is 100MB, and it only had 38MB free.  I did not want to go through the steps of assigning a drive a letter and all that jazz recomended above, I felt that presented a significant risk to the overall stability of the system I was working on.

Moving the location shadow copy, increased the free space from the 38mb to 70mb, after doing that the Windows Backup ran just fine.

FYI - The server I am working on is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with SP1, running Exchange Server 2010 SP2 in a VMware enviorment.

Your workaround solved the problem, and ther was NO downtime necessary for reboots or anything like that.

Josiah

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Thank You!!!
    Friday, December 14, 2012 7:45 PM
  • My backups have been running fine for almost two months and now the USN Journal has started to grow all of a sudden and cause these failures.

Deleting the journal as you described only works for a few days and then it grows again.

How do I stop the growth or find what is causing the USN Journal on this volume to increase?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Hi

GoodLuck

Thank you. I have a Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials that worked perfectly using the method above! I am now able to use the Windows Server Backup as expected.

-Hiphoptech

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:08 PM
  • thanks! saved my time!
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:09 PM
  • Thanks a lot!!!

I was trying to fix backup issues on Windows 2008R2 and only this solution can do miracle!!!

- Changed location for Shadow Copies for System Reserved partition

VC

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:19 PM