none
capture Image with Imagex and USB Storage

Question

• HI

I am capturing a SysPreped image with Imagex, the PC is booted via WinPE CD/DVD. I have DHCP issues so i can not map a network path, so i just inserted a USB (NTFS formatted). And when i give command to capture image and and specify the destination path to USB, i got error that "Access is denied" or "not have permission" etc.

I also tried to copy the image on the same drive i mean i am capturing image of C drive and i tried to check if i can save this image on C, but again failed to do so.
    http://mcitpsuccess.blogspot.com/2008/04/run-sysprep-and-capture-image.html confirms that i can save it on C as well.

So anyone can help me with this?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:05 PM

Answers

• i m very thax to u . i m trying to capture image system drive c. but when i booted my computer from winpe disk. then my system drive not drive c in winpe. u give me very good adivice to check. thankx a lot sir!

Hi,

Its normal... in WinPe drive letters get changed. All you need to do is the following.

1. Boot from WinPE
    2. run the Diskpart.exe
    3. run the list volume to see which letter has been assinged for OS partition (I am sure the OS drive or operating system drive will get the "D" letter)
    4. exit (so can get back to WinPE tools)
    5. Now lets assume you now which letter is it, go ahead to capture the image (for example imagex /capture SOURCE: DESTINATION\name.wim

If any issues, just let me know.

N.A.Malik

• Marked as answer by N A Malik Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please use the following method to create the WinPE disk and capture the image:

Step 1 Create WinPE disk:

1. Install WAIK on a technical computer.

2. Right-click Windows PE Tools Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

3. Type the following commands and press Enter.

Copype x86 c:\winpe

Imagex /mountrw c:\winpe\winpe.wim 1 c:\winpe\mount 

4. Copy imagex.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86 to c:\winpe\mount\Windows\System32.

5. Type the following commands and press Enter.

Imagex.exe /unmount /commit c:\winpe\mount

Copy d:\winpe\winpe.wim c:\winpe\iso\sources\boot.wim /y

Oscdimg -n -h -bc:\winpe\etfsboot.com c:\winpe\iso c:\winpe\winpe.iso 

6. Burn winpe.iso using Nero and you will get a WinPE with ImageX disk.

Step 2 Sysprep:

Type the following command and press Enter on the reference computer:

sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown

Step 3 Capture the image:

1. Restart the reference computer and boot into WinPE disk immediately.

2. Run the following command and press Enter:

imagex /capture /compress maximum /check c: d:\enterprise.wim "Enterprise"

Note: d is your UBS drive or another local partition.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, November 13, 2009 4:06 AM
  • Hi

Yes i am doing this, but got error telling something like access is denied or cant find (similar).
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

Please verify you booted the computer from the WinPE disk. If you boot from the WinPE disk, you should have enough permission to capture the image.

In addition, please use diskpart commands to check what drive letters your system partition and your USB drive are in WinPE. You system partition may be not Drive C in WinPE.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, November 16, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Hi

Here is updates:
    I have captured the image on the external USB Hard Disk, I can see the image in F:\myimage\myimage.wim and its size is nearly 7 GB.
    Now when i try to apply image i get error: Path cannot Found or Unable to Open the file.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Please also verify what drive letters your destination partition and your USB drive are in WinPE before applying the image.

For example, if your USB drive is Drive F and your destination partition is Drive C, please use the command as below:

imagex /apply F:\myimage\myimage.wim 1  C:

Please also make sure you have enough disk space on your destination partition. For example, if your used disk space (total space – free space) is 20GB on your system partition before capturing the image, you must have a partition with no smaller than 20GB to apply the image.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, November 16, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Hi

The destination path in my case f:\myimage.wim  shows the error, it say path can not be found or can not open path  specified.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just reading over this I noticed that you have stated two different paths:

F:\myimage.wim
    F:\myimage\myimage.wim

So can you please verify where the image sits?

Regards.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Hi,

In addition, please also let us know the result when you run the following commands in WinPE:

Diskpart

List volume

And let me know on which volume you would like to apply the image.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:36 AM
  • I doubt the OP will see this but someone else may.  Aside from possible incorrect paths, the issue may be caused by they way some USB drives are configured.  Newer ones have 2 partitions, the first contains software and is seen as cdfs which is read only.  You need to find the 2nd NTFS partition.  In my case (WD Passport) partition 1 (cdfs) was mounted as G: and partition 2 (NTFS) was mounted as J:
    Friday, November 11, 2011 12:08 AM
  • i m very thax to u . i m trying to capture image system drive c. but when i booted my computer from winpe disk. then my system drive not drive c in winpe. u give me very good adivice to check. thankx a lot sir!
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:26 PM

Hi,

Its normal... in WinPe drive letters get changed. All you need to do is the following.

1. Boot from WinPE
    2. run the Diskpart.exe
    3. run the list volume to see which letter has been assinged for OS partition (I am sure the OS drive or operating system drive will get the "D" letter)
    4. exit (so can get back to WinPE tools)
    5. Now lets assume you now which letter is it, go ahead to capture the image (for example imagex /capture SOURCE: DESTINATION\name.wim

If any issues, just let me know.

N.A.Malik

• Marked as answer by N A Malik Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:55 PM
  • N A Malik,

Thanks You saved my morning today :)

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Try with administrator privilege.
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:24 AM