none
install Remoteapps on window server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I try to install RemoteApp on a fresh install window server 2012.

Can any one let me know the all steps

I did try the steps below which is fails:

1. add feature and role (role base and feature base install) remote desktop service

2. install ADDS, create domain and join to domain. I do this because when I do the remote desktop service installation, it said server need to john the domain before doing it.

3. do remote desktop service installation, and fails on the stop:

Any one can help me please?

Or please show me the right steps that install the remoteApps on server 2012.

many Thanks in advance

Wayne Xuan

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:15 AM

Answers

• Yes, Best Regards,
    Please vote posts that are helpful.
    • Edited by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by xuanyinwen123 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Restart the server, Please vote posts that are helpful.
    • Edited by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Hi, I can see that you have joined the domain, Try adding the dc To the server manager on the rds host. Mark answers and also mark helpful posts located on the left Hand side.
    • Marked as answer by xuanyinwen123 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:33 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Please see the following link http://ryanmangansitblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/create-server-group-for-rds-2012/
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you trying to install RDS on the Domain Controller as the installation of the Remote connection Broker role will fail on a DC.

Please see the following links: 

RDS 2012 Connection Broker Role not supported on DC

Deploying RDS 2012 Single Server – Session Based deployment 

RDS 2012 Publishing a RemoteApp 

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:34 AM
    • Edited by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:53 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Hi there, No I don't want to install RDS on the domain Controller, I just want to create RemoteApp then I can running the app through the internet.

on the server 2008 R2, I just install remote desktop service and then create the RemoteApp, nothing else require,

but on server 2012, it said need to john domain first before I install the remote desktop service.

Would you mind show me all I need to do from the beginning?

many thanks

Wayne Xuan

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

The links i included show how to install and publish Remote Apps. 

you would need a minimum of a connection broker, Web Access and a session server. 

From the screen shot you provided, it looks as if you have tried to deploy a the Virtualisation Host Role.

you would need to deploy a session based deployment to achieve your goals. please see the link below for guidance on the deployment and configuration. 

Deploying RDS 2012 Single Server – Session Based deployment

Best Regards.

• Edited by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:38 AM wrong link
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Hi there, I follow your instruction,

from your link: http://ryanmangansitblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/deploying-rds-2012-single-server-session-based-deployment/

is it mean I have to create the OUs and Security Groups required for my deployment

if yes,  I have to add the ADUC, right, but after I add the ADDS, and add the server to a domain, I can't add any role and feature:

http://xuanyinwen.com/Image4.jpg

When I do the Remote Desktop service installation, I got the same fail message as your first link:

http://xuanyinwen.com/Image3.jpg

when I install the AD DS I follow the steps of:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12370.step-by-step-guide-for-setting-up-windows-server-2012-domain-controller.aspx

What should I do now. please help?

Wayne Xuan

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Hey Wayne,

first I would check if the Servers are in the Domain. Run on a Server where you want to intall the roles sysdm.cpl and check if the machine is in the Domain. If the Server is in the Domain plz start an elevated powershell on the Server and try to install a role by Hand with:

install-feature RDS-Connection-Broker

and see what is happening.

Matthias

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:10 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

You would need a Active Directory Domain to install RDS 2012. You cannot install the connection broker on the Domain controller, when you attempt an install you will see the following: 

I would recommend using two servers, one for the Domain controller and one for RDS.

I would also check that the servers are domain joined before you start using the following powershell CMD> Get-ADDomain, naturally you would not need to check the domain controller as this hosts the domain. 

From the screen shot you provided, it looks like you are trying to install RDS using a Quick install, if you wish to use the DC for RDS roles (Not RD Connection Broker) then i would use a standard install as the Quick install will try to install the connection broker which is not supported on a domain controller.

Can you try the same RDS installation on a new server that is not a domain controller but domain joined. This should answer your question.

You can receive error messages when a server is pending a reboot, so i would recommend rebooting the servers regularly during the deployment process. 

I have included the PowerShell Cmds to deploy a a Basic RDS Remote app config if you wish to use them:

New-SessionDeployment -ConnectionBroker <Server Name> -WebAccessServer <Server Name> -SessionHost
    <server Name>

New-RDSessionCollection -CollectionName TestSessionCollection -SessionHost <Server Name> -CollectionDescription “Demo Collection" -ConnectionBroker <Server Name>

If you are using PowerShell Remember to change <Server Name > to the FQDN of the servers you would like to deploy RDS to. 

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

Are you any further with this ?

Best Regards,

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:53 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

When you said I need Active Directory Domain, is it mean AD DS, I have done that and john my server to domain, can you check the screen shot below see does it mean I done that?:

http://xuanyinwen.com/Image5.jpg

when you said I need two servers, is it mean I need two computers?  But I only got one server at this stage, and I only want to set up the RemoteApps, none other thing I want to do with the server.

I did try to tick the standard deployment option when I install Remote Desktop service, but it got the same result

I can try to do it again on a fresh install server, can you show me what to do to make the server is not a domain controller but domain joined? Or please tell me the steps from the beginning if you can.

many thanks

Wayne

Wayne Xuan

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

The AD DS computer (server) cannot install the RDS Connection Broker Role. You would need a second computer (server) with server 2012 installed and the you will need to Join it to the domain.

Please see the powershell cmd:

add-computer -Credential SalesPartner\administrator -DomainName SalesPartner.local

Then you would be able to install RDS 2012.

Best Regards,

• Edited by Ryan Mangan Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:36 PM
  • HI Ryan

ok, I will try that, does it mean I need two computers all the time, or after I join the domain and install RDS 2012, just using one server, the other can be removed?

cheers

Wayne

Wayne Xuan

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:45 PM
  • You would need two, one for AD DS and one for RDS. 

Have you looked at Hyper-V as this will allow you to use multiple computers on one.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:48 PM
  • ok, I will try that. will let you know how it go soon.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Wayne Xuan

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:02 PM
  • sorry, Ryan,

if I need two, does it mean I have to buy two licenses for it.

that's not reasonable.

cheers

best regards

Wayne

Wayne Xuan

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:11 AM
  • sorry Ryan,

its not working to join the domain. where should I check please?

error here:

http://xuanyinwen.com/Image6.jpg

the steps I set up the AD DS on my first server is following link

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12370.step-by-step-guide-for-setting-up-windows-server-2012-domain-controller.aspx

thanks

Wayne Xuan

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

You can join the domain under the system properties menu, you showed this is image 5. Ensure that you change the DNS server on the second server to point to the first so that it can detect the domain.

Best Regards,

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got any further with this. 

Best Regards,

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:50 PM
  • sorry, quite busy this morning, didn't have the time try it yet, but will give a try soon.

would you mind show me where I can change the DNS server on the second server to point to the first so that it can detect the domain

and as I asked before, if I need two server, does it mean I got to have two licenses for both of them?

cheers

Wayne Xuan

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

You would change the DNS settings on the Network card.

With regards to licencing using windows server 2012 standard, if they are both physical you would need a licence per server. You can have 2 VM licences per physical licence.

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:49 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:15 AM
  • HI Ryan,

Could you tell me more instruction for how to add server to server pool. and add which server, AD DS server or another one?

cheers

Wayne

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Please see the following link http://ryanmangansitblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/create-server-group-for-rds-2012/
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Thanks, do you mean I need to do that on the RDS server, right?

cheers

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:48 PM
  • Yes, Best Regards,
    Please vote posts that are helpful.
    • Edited by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50 PM
  • thanks, when I go to the second step, it show me :

the local computer is either not domain-joined, or it cannot access a domain controller, your computer must be both joined to a domain and able to access a domain controller to search for other computers by using active directory domain services, you can still search for or import computers that are on your net work

but I have join my RDS server to domain, why still showing this message.

sorry

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Restart the server, Please vote posts that are helpful.
    • Edited by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:57 PM
  • I already restart, it doesn't help, any other thing I can try?

do you mean I should click on mark as answer on your every post?

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Could you please check out : http://xuanyinwen.com/Image9.jpg

is that mean I have join to domain?

cheers

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Hi, I can see that you have joined the domain, Try adding the dc To the server manager on the rds host. Mark answers and also mark helpful posts located on the left Hand side.
    • Marked as answer by xuanyinwen123 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:33 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Finally, I have go through, but on the last step still got the same result:

http://xuanyinwen.com/Image3.jpg

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:34 PM
  • see below which is I create server group:

http://xuanyinwen.com/Image1.jpg

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:38 PM
  • another question is should I log in both computer as salespartner\administrator?

cheers

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:58 PM
  • HI Ryan,

I have sorted it. thanks for your help.

do you know how to set two server within the same network. what I need to set on the router?

cheers

Wayne

Wayne Xuan

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:56 PM
  • Hi Ryan

all working now, and thanks for your help.

my last question is so even I use Hyper-V to run two server on one computer, but I still apply for two licenses for them. is that right?

is there any way I can set all thing up in one server, and pay one license?

thanks

Wayne

Wayne Xuan

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Dear Wayne,

One Standard Licence will licence 2 VM's.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechnet/archive/2013/02/28/windows-server-2012-licensing-made-simple.aspx 

Best Regards,

Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:08 AM