none
Unsupported Cluster Configuration

Question

• While trying to migrate a win2000 box to hyper-v I made some changes to the cluster disk (going from a volume guid to a drive letter) The VM is up and running but with a snapshot take before I changed the volume to a drive letter. My hunch is that VMM is stating it is in an supported cluster configuration is because the snapshot location is still pointing to the volume guid, but the vm is running on a drive letter now. 

I don't need the snapshot now, the vm is running fine in it's current state. But I'm still new to Hyper-V and not quite sure how to fix the issue. I won't be able to access the data via volume guid as it is now a drive letter. I can view the snapshot directory while exploring the drive letter. Deleting the unneeded snapshot via Hyper-V will probably fail since the volume guid is inaccessible and I can't change the path of the snapshot location because one exists.

My thoughts are as follow....

1. Use the export / import to move to a new disk location?
                            2. Modify the xml file manually to change the location of the snapshots to the new drive lettter?

Thanks for any guidance

Chris

Friday, June 05, 2009 2:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I am sorry that I am a little unclear as to the exact issue. To have a better understanding to the problem, please answer the following questions:

1. You mentioned that "made some changes to the cluster disk (going from a volume guid to a drive letter)". Please describe in detail how you perform the change.

2. Please describe in detail how you migrate the Windows 2000 box to Hyper-V. Was the Windows 2000 VM run on virtual server or VPC?

3. You mentioned that "The VM is up and running but with a snapshot take before I changed the volume to a drive letter." Do you mean that you create a snapshot before change the volume to a drive letter in Hyper-V?

Generally speaking, we don’t recommend that you keep VM in the system drive. In Hyper-V manager, when you create a VM, you can choose and change the location for a VM. (We don’t recommend that you change the settings of VMs after the snapshot created, it will cause some unexpected problem) Usually, most of us set path for VMs like D:\VM, this is inconvenient and will cause some problem if the driver letter is changed. So we suggest that you use volume GUID for the VMs. For example, the GUID of my D:\ drive is \\?\Volume{9ef04e00-ba21-11dd-93b8-806d6172696f}\, so I set \\?\Volume{9ef04e00-ba21-11dd-93b8-806d6172696f}\VM as the path of VMs. Nothing will involved the VMs if the driver letter changed.

If you don’t need the snapshot, you can delete the snapshot in Hyper-v manager. We can’t delete the files related to snapshots directly in the VM’s folder. This will cause some problem. In Windows Server 2008, you can type the volume of the GUID in Run and press the Enter key to open the corresponding drive.

In addition, I include some articles about Hyper-V snapshots, you can refer to:

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Snapshots: FAQ

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560637.aspx

Managing Snapshots with Hyper-V

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/01/16/managing-snapshots-with-hyper-v.aspx

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, June 08, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Answers to your questions...

1. I changed from a volume guid to a drive letter from within the failover cluster management snap-in. right click, change drive letter to "None". 

This is quite handy when you forget to remove the 2005 VS additions from a guest before migrating it so you can open the virtual machine in virtual pc across the network so you can manually remove them... By the way, why doesn't the migrate wizard in Virtual Machine Manager 2008 perform this for you?

2. The VM was running on VS 2005 SP1 and I used VMM 2008 to "migrate", since it didn't remove the vm additions and I forgot to manually remove, I had to convert the disk to a drive letter so I could get to the vhd from across the network to open in virtual pc without blue screening. Accessing the volume guid drive from 2008 server core installation seems to be a little difficult.

3. I took a snapshot right after I migrated the VM before making crazy changes to get past a blue screen, which was successful. But now it's running on a drive letter which I want to keep, but there is a snapshot taken and the configuration of the VM is to put snapshots on the old volume guid, which is now a drive letter.

Thanks,

Chris
    • Edited by chmeehan Monday, June 08, 2009 3:48 PM
    Monday, June 08, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

According to the description, you have changed from the volume GUID to drive letter after you made a snapshot. I do not have such an environment to test whether it will work to delete the snapshot directly. I suggest that you first test whether it works by exporting and then importing the current virtual machine settings to a new virtual machine. After that, you can then check whether it works to delete the snapshot on the problematic virtual machine and the newly created virtual machine.

As for editing the .xml configuration file manually, we can do it; however, it is not supported. So if the above operation does not work, I'd suggest that you perform the migration from Virtual Server 2005 to Hyper-V again. I understand that it may be time consuming; however, it is the most reliable thing to resolve this issue. Please follow the best practices on Virtual Server 2005 R2 to Hyper V Upgrade.

Hyper-V migration from VS 2005 general questions..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/3aaff842-1181-47cd-87c9-1fc4ac39f878

Migration from MSVS 2005 to Hyper-v and the reverse

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/22160870-a2dd-4c9f-9ec7-44effea96fe1

Best practices on Virtual Server 2005 R2 to Hyper V Upgrade

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/fb2e66d3-f7fd-4820-8dd6-d43720aa62bb

Migrate Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 VM to Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-server/migrate-microsoft-virtual-server-2005-r2-vm-to-windows-server-2008-hyper-v/

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 11:34 AM