Windows Server 2008 R2 Local Profile Corruption

• Hi,

I am trying to get find what could be the reason that we have users profile that gets corrupted where as inside the user profile folder the "windows folder" looks like a notepad after it gets corrupted. Is there any reason why this happens and what is the resolution for this?

Appreciate your response or input.

thanks in advance!

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 19:04

Todas las respuestas

• There could be many unknown reasons. One of the reason which I think could cause profile corruption is dirty shutdowns ( hard boots ).  One more reason which I suspect: abruptly closed application's connection with registry keys.

Thanks !

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 20:20
  • Are there other symptoms or is shortcut icons the only issue?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

jueves, 28 de junio de 2012 1:59
  • First of all disable any antivirus on the server and test again. 

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

jueves, 28 de junio de 2012 2:12
  • Hi,

It looks like the file association is corrupted.

Please backup the registry and try to import the default associations for File Folders from the following link to check the result:

If it does not work, please create a new user and copy the user profile to the new user account.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

jueves, 28 de junio de 2012 5:56
  • Thanks to everyone. It makes sense with all your answers. I have never seen such type of corruption on Win2K3. I know profiles gets corrupted which is not uncommon, but to the extent where the users daily complain that they cannot access application it is something which I was surprised.

Let me try all your suggestions and let you all know what is the outcome. Again thank you all for your response and I did not check the forum for very long.

miércoles, 22 de agosto de 2012 13:43