I have a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server which is being used to remotely connect 4 doctors to our billing service.
When first put in service, everyone was able to connect with no issues. Time passed and we forgot to upgrade our temporary RDC licenses to the paid version and it stopped allowing connections. We promptly purchased a 5-user pack from Microsoft and upon receipt
of the license we entered the information into the required location and expected our connections to resume immediately.
All the systems that could connect prior to this problem get the following message: "The remote connection was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop client access licenses available for this computer".
I can still connect by going to a system that had not connected previously and use the same credentials that were used originally . . . but my four doctors cannot connect their computer.
I found the problem . . . for some strange reason, the process of the temporary licenses expiring and the new ones being installed caused my settings to change from Per User to Per Device. When I found it and changed it back to Per User everything
went back to working as expected.