none
KB4284826 leads to immediate Windows restart after network connection

问题

• Dear all,

after installing the Windows security update KB4284826 my PC immediately restarts after the start of Windows 7.

I recognised that the restart is performed when the network connection to the LAN is established so I tried to start Windows without the network cable plugged in. When doing so the restart is not performed directy after windows starts but rather 30 seconds later. In that time period I can cause a restart by plugging in the network cable. I already tried to update the driver for the network controller (Realtek PCIe GbE Familiy Controller) with no success.

When I remove the above mentioned Windows update everythink works perfectly fine.

I would really appreciate any help in solving this problem.

Best regards

user7044

--- some specs ---
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
    Realtek RTL8111DL

2018年6月17日 13:56

全部回复

• Hi,

When it restart, are there any message showing like "configure updates", just make sure the kb is installed completely. Otherwise, it will reboot to get it applied.

It is suggested that you go to device manager and rediscover the NIC and install drivers, select Scan for Hardware changes from the Action Menu.

In addition, you can type the command to reset NIC

netsh winsock reset 

netsh int ip reset

Netcfg -d

However, since you tried to restart without network, still getting reboot. I am wandering if it is not related to network. You can try to boot into Safe Mode, seeing what happens. Not sure if it is related to 3 party software, it is suggested that you can uninstall 3 party antivirus software.

In addition, in event viewer-windows logs-system/application, are there any errors related to it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2018年6月18日 8:50
  • I've seen this behavior as well with 32-Bit versions of Win7: As soon as any version of the Spectre/Meltdown patch is installed, the system reboots as soon as the network connects.

Doesn't matter what CPU nor what NIC: I've taken the SSD from a Core2 notebook, put it into a Haswell desktop, resets as soon as there is a network connection. Actually, since there was no matching NIC driver for the desktop on the Win7 SSD, it booted fine until I put a USB Wifi NIC in, that it recognized: Immediate reboot then, when the network came up.

On the notebook it resets as soon as I either connect the cable or as soon as I enable the Wifi NIC via the external switch.

I remove KB4284826 (or predecessors like KB4103718) it's ok again.

No issues with Win10/64bit on the very same hardware in both cases, it's the combination of Win7 and 32-Bit that seems fatal.

In all cases booting in safe mode, even with network connectivity avoids the reboot.

2018年6月27日 17:12