none
Repeatedly failed to install Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

问题

• Repeatedly failed since June 20, 2017 to install Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems.

All other updates have been successful.

Troubleshooting advice has not been helpful.

Can you please tell me what to do?

2017年11月26日 16:40

全部回复

• Hi,

Is there any error message when install Security Monthly Quality Rollup failed?

Did you try to download and manually install the update?

If no, please try to download and manually install the update.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

Please try to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check system files and recovery corrupted files, here are steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.

3. After the scan is finished, try to install updates again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2017年11月27日 2:27
  • Hi, 

Hows everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2017年11月29日 2:21
  • I have tried numerous times to download and manually install the update, and failed to update each time.

I do not know where to locate the System File Checker Tool.

2017年11月30日 19:07
  • Hi,

Is there any error message when install Security Monthly Quality Rollup failed?

Please take following steps to use System File Checker tool (SFC.exe).

1. Type CMD in search box, right click Command Prompt to choose run as administrator.

2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.

3. After the scan is finished, try to install updates again.

If it can’t work, please try to reset the Windows Update Components, please refer the following link.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

If it still can't work, in order to troubleshoot the issue deeply, please help us collect the cbs.log (%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) , windowsupdate.log (%windir%\windowsupdate.log) , CheckSUR.log (%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log), then upload the log to OneDrive and paste the link here. We will help you to analyze them.

Note: If the logs contain the privacy information, please hide it.

2017年12月1日 1:27
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

2017年12月4日 10:34
  • I have the same problem so I'll jump in here.

2017-08, 2017-09, 2017-10, 2017-11, 2018-01, etc. have all failed. Code 80073712.

I tried installing 2017-08 KB4034664 manually and the package says "This update is not applicable to your computer." 

2018-01 KB4056894 "This update is not applicable to your computer."

This is after SFC, windowsupdate.diagcab, and file system check.

I ended up just hiding them all.

Files: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlQP8n7Qzp_rhiITRGExAJMVO-Yv

2018年1月29日 14:20
  • Please create a new thread. Your problem is different with the original post.

Thanks for your understanding.

2018年1月30日 1:27
  • No, Christopher Barth's problem is the exact same problem as the original post. Which is the exact same problem I am having and the suggested fix, did not fix it. Trying to install the updates manually does not work and the SFX finds no problems and even after the scan, still does not install the Monthly Quality Rollup updates 

So, still an open issue and still waiting to see something that works besides hiding the updates.

2018年1月31日 7:58
  • Good Morning, I have been having the exact same problem - has anyone found a solution other than a format/reinstall?

2018年2月20日 11:37
  • I am also having this problem but when I attempt to run SFC from the command prompt I get the following reply

" 'sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

I am running window 7 x64

2018年2月26日 13:04
  • Same problem here with Win 7 64. This has been going here since last year. Nothing has helped and I've tried every single thing that I have seen suggested including multiple runs of SFC, numerous attempts of manual install, numerous resets of Windows Update Components, etc., etc.

Would be nice if there was a fix.

2018年3月29日 19:02
  • The last security monthly quality rollup for Win 7 64 that I have been able to install is Sept. 2017. All offered since then, Oct 2017 through Apr 2018 have failed. I also tried many suggestions that did nothing.
    UPDATE: I have sucessfully manually downloaded and installed Security-Only Quality Updates for Oct 2017 through April 2018.
    2018年4月14日 13:06
  • 2018-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4103718).  This update and all others for the past year have not worked.  I get a "Failed' messaged.  I have tried the manual download mentioned above, but that doesn't work either.  If there are any Microsoft technicians reading this thread, I'd appreciate a solution.  I'm running Win 7 Pro of a 64-bit Dell laptop.  Thank you. 

2018年5月11日 19:50
  • Same problem, Security Monthly Quality Rollups repeatedly fail to install since February 2018, and now May 2018 doesn't work either.  All other updates install successfully.  I am running Windows 7 Pro, 64bit, on a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge. 

I have run sfc /scannow and chkdsk and both report no problems.  I have also run hardware scans, tried installing the updates manually, and reinstalled Windows Update.  There are no error messages when these KB's fail.  This problem seems to be prevalent among Windows 7-64bit users.  All suggested fixes on this website and other websites DO NOT solve the failure to install the monthly quality updates.  Surely to heaven there is a Microsoft tech somewhere who can help with this issue.

2018年5月13日 1:09
  • Wholehearted concur with all the above posts. This is not acceptable, MS. It's making me paranoid, are we being punished for not updating to Win 10? Or are we getting trainee devs?
    2018年5月13日 10:09
  • Have been putting up with this same problem for months.  The troubleshooting advice hasn't helped.  Is anyone at Microsoft listening?

Here is the result of running Windows Update...

2018-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4284826)
    Installation date: ‎6/‎12/‎2018 7:12 PM
    Installation status: Failed
    Error details: Code 1
    Update type: Important

2018年6月13日 0:47
  • I've had same frustrating issue since late 2017 - all Security Monthly Quality Rollups fail installation.  Did same things you listed in your post too to no avail.

MSFT has really gone downhill on basic things, not impressed or amused with this failed installation each month.

I resorted to just hiding the update, not ideal from a security standpoint.....thankfully I have a robust security software program.

Would be nice if msft actually provided  a solution though.

2018年6月13日 0:51
  • yes I have the same problem on Win7x64 Dell E6410; why
    2018年6月14日 9:37
  • Having the exact same problem, tryed all the suggestions on this thread but nothing seems to work..
    2018年6月18日 9:10
  • Add me to the list of failures.

Windows 7 Panasonic CF-52.

KB4284826 failed to install. Install reaches the point where it has restarted and flashes the massage saying Update in progress, do not turn off you computer and crashes. It then stays in the loop until I F8 and boot up in Safemode.

It then displays a message that Update failed to install and Safemode is rolling back.

It then reboots and starts up in normal mode and displays the same Update failed to install, windows Rollback message.

It then finally boots back up in normal windows7.

I deselected all updates and then installed them one at a time. KB4284826 is the only one that causes the crash. All others have installed correctly.

2018年6月19日 9:51
  • Same. I am starting to think this is an effort to force me to upgrade to windows 10. Microsoft having trouble fixing a patch this prevalent?
    2018年6月20日 3:36
  • Hi All,

This error may be related to Internet Explorer 11 missing security updates.

As you may know, Monthly rollups includes security only updates + IE, so to fix it do the follow steps:

- Install all 2018 security only updates and all 2018 IE updates up to May.

- Reboot Windows, and then, install June Monthly rollup.

- Reboot Windows, open Windows Updates history and check if all is good.

Please, let me know if this will fix your issue.

Best Regards,

Renan

Renan A. Rodrigues MCSA-MCITP-MCTS-CCNA-CCENT-ITIL (renanrodrigues.com)

2018年6月20日 22:38
  • My IE is up to date, so not that.

April monthly (3118) rollup finally installed end of May
    Haven't been offered any security updates since, other than for Office 2010 (which install OK).
    So, where are May and June updates? When I check for updates I get an 'Unknown Error' message.
    This is not going well.
    2018年6月23日 21:05
  • try to uninstall the latest successfully Security Monthly Quality Rollup then check

Cherif Benammar

2018年6月23日 21:37
  • Same here: Server 2012r2. All other patches install - except any and all 'Security Monthly Quality Rollups'. 'View Update History' shows 'succeeded' each time after it fails, however 'Installed Updates' shows no new 'Sec Monthly'. This is a DFSr File Server with 2TB of data... I Do Not intend on blowing it away!! :(
    2018年6月25日 11:06
  • Same problem with one of my windows7 x86 computer.

problems begin since 201803

Other computers with windows7 x86 doesn't have that problem

2018年6月27日 13:00
  • Same problem here.  About 700 Windows 7 x64 computers that update fine and around 50 that fail on just the Monthly Roll Up month after month after month!
    2018年6月28日 15:14
  • I have had the same problem since November of 2016. It provides a failure code of 80073712 but I cannot find any help for the code. I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 but had seriously problems so returned back to Windows 7 and this seems to be the result..not sure. But it's pretty serious business NOT to be able to install any security monthly quality roll ups for Windows 7 for such a long time. MS is NOT taking care of this problem.
    2018年7月10日 21:53
  • Hi 

I have had the same issue as well, so i have looked back at a list of updates and kb numbers that are ,missing

Date KB Description Windows Version Status
    Oct-16 3185330 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Update Not Applicable
    Nov-16 3197868 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Update Not Applicable
    Dec-16 3207752 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Update Not Applicable
    Jan-17 3212646 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Update Not Applicable
    Mar-17 4012215 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Installed
    Apr-17 4015549 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Installed
    May-17 4019264 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Installed
    Jun-17 4022719 Monthly Security Roll up 7 Installed
    Jul-17 4025341 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Aug-17 4034664 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Sep-17 4038777 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Oct-17 4041681 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Nov-17 4048957 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Dec-17 4054518 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Jan-18 4056894 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Feb-18 4074598 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Mar-18 4088875 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Apr-18 4093118 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    May-18 4103718 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Jun-18 4284826 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed
    Jul-18 4338818 Monthly Security Roll up 7  Installed

So i have downloaded all those that are applicable to one folder and started to try to install them.

Right click the file and goto properties check to see if the file is blocked at the bottom. click unblock

At present they are installing. Long winded solution but i have tried all other options. For me i have one machine with this issue but their was a long period where no updates were installed on the machine.

You may wish to not install KB4088875 and KB4093118 as they have known issues.

You may wish to install first the microsoft system rediness tool KB947821 this will basically try to fix windows update issues. Their is no run command as such installing the patch will run the tool.

It will show windows updates as blank when you view "view update history" however you can view 

updates actually installed from the installed updates option, you may wish to add the columns update id and update info link to the view then you can sort by update id.

Information - Windows 7 x64 Vmware machine so lucky for me a super quick reboot after each install. You may wish to try installing March 17 then July 18 just those two. I did not test this

Good Luck

• 已编辑 KSovivo 2018年7月11日 13:32
    2018年7月11日 12:26
  • Here is my tin penny.

Just spent nearly my entire day trying to "clean up" the "Security quality roll up" failure. In my case, it has been failing since 1/1/2018.  My failure has been 80004005.  Downloaded & installed the "security only" update for Jan. through June. Jan. failed with the 80004005, but all others suceeded. I've also installed the most recent "cumulative security updates" for IE 11.  July roll up still fails with 80004005.  Move on to the various other manual things to "clean up" the problem. (sfc, windows update trouble shooter, clean boot,...)  Now I've managed to change the error to a 80010108.

So, in all of the times I have tried to fix this (today was not my first), I have yet to see anyone from microsoft actually try to determine WHY the updates are failing.  It's always "try this and see if it fixes the problem".  When none of those things work, then no one ever hears from Microsoft again.  Someone from Microsoft needs to spend some time analyzing the problem rather than telling hundreds of user: "Let's use trial and error to see if we can circumvent my problem".  As for me, this thorough waste of time has led me to decide that I will always HIDE the monthly roll ups...  

2018年7月11日 17:35
  • Have to agree.  There's been no apparent effort to FIX it or to simply make the installs separate vs a big monolithic rollup that doesn't function.

I've only got the one 7 machine left and if the manufacturer of the hardware I need ever updates their drivers to something stable under Win 10 or linux, it's gone.  But....it would be nice to be up to date on patches.  Especially security related ones.

2018年7月18日 15:49
  • In my case, I opened CBS.log (c:\windows\logs\cbs) and searched for 80004005.  Found it right next to regsvr32.exe trying to register themeui.dll.  Inspecting properties of regsvr32.exe on this particular system found an apparently corrupted version which displayed no Microsoft info in the details tab of the executable.  I replaced with a copy from another computer which did display correctly, but have not yet been able to steal the machine to verify the fix...its out in the field and I was poking at it while it was connected via VPN.
    2018年7月30日 20:43
  • I just had my system compromised (someone hacked my Epic Games account, played for a while, and changed the password). This was right after someone tried to hack my Ubisoft account. I looked into my security measures and found that my security for windows was not updating for some reason. Everything else (I had Avira, Spybot and Malware Bytes), were up and running. My issue was that many updates for windows were not applied, despite me having it on auto. I went in and applied them myself (along with switching my anti-virus to Avast), but now the "2018-07 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4338818)" refuses to update.  I have tried clean booting, manual install and erasing the logs in the computer by disabling the two functions in services.msc temporarily. It STILL wont install. The above suggested fix wont work because I can't open the CBS log and can't seem to search regsvr32.exe or themeui.dll.

This is obviously a widespread issue, MS, and it likely lead to the compromise of my system. You're starting to wrack up a lot of complaints from users which could land you a nasty little lawsuit if it gets out of hand. 
    2018年8月5日 15:02
  • I am experiencing a similar issue on my Server2008r2 system. I have been able to take all available updates except KB4338818 (2018-07 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based): Systems (KB4338818)
    Installation date: ‎8/‎8/‎2018 5:23 PM
    Installation status: Failed
    Error details: Code 8000FFFF
    Update type: Important

Apparently, this issue has been commonly encountered.  Is there some way to attract the attention of a Microsoft Support agent to provide some guidance?

Perhaps we should start a new thread for the issue. Unfortunately, none of available the Forum Categories lends itself particularly well to this problem.

Definitely frustrated.

Update: I have created a new Forum post for the issue here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/50f1e466-79b6-4080-8a39-d30168c9348c/repeated-update-failure-for-kb4338818-security-monthly-quality-rollup-for-windows-server-2008-r2-for?forum=win10itprosecurity

2018年8月9日 18:11
  • Just fixed this on several systems:

Search your CBS.log for items that mention "store corruption"  The KB listed seems to be the one causing the issue - in 3 cases now I've downloaded that particular package (was different on each) and reinstalled/rebooted.  After correcting that the newest Monthly Rollup applied fine.

2018年8月10日 15:16
  • Hi David,

What do you mean "After correcting" ?  Can you supply a link to the correct update please.

Thanks

Glenn

2018年8月21日 8:47
  • I had a similar problem; took me months to figure it out but I did. Check services.msc, if branch cache is set to disabled set it to manual...

Follow my advice here, see if there is anything in there you need:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a3c6d30a-d59c-4ee7-9cd2-afa0c014a66c/solved-windows-update-bug-windows-update-failure-7sp1-x64-kb4074598-hresult-0x80004005-?forum=w7itprogeneral

2018年8月27日 13:56
  • Here is what is most important:

Check your C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log; search for "error" or "Failed execution" know very well whatever app is failing to install, be it IIS as quoted below-> they disabled IIS and it fixed their problem, or peerdist for me (branchcache as it is known under services.msc -> I had to set it from disabled to manual, so make sure you fiddle with enabling or disabling the failing install service using services.msc or under the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ 

If it is another windows service, find the name of it under the aforementioned registry key or in services.msc.

Change the entry "start" to demand or auto, or disable if it was already enabled, then try your update.

0 Boot
    1 system
    2 Automatic
    3 Demand (aka manual)
    4 Disabled

Here is how another user solved this issue:

I can also attest that IIS seemed to be the culprit for me.

I disabled the services World Wide Web Publishing Service, IIS Admin Service and some others for good measure, set them all to manual, rebooted, then tried to install SP1 RC Refresh and that finally succeeded.
    I would get certain GUIDs in my CBS.log:
    Code Block
    2008-01-17 12:28:30, Error CSI 00000d42 (F) Failed execution of queue item Installer: Task Scheduler ({386b5911-b69e-4d2d-a3ab-796d2ec6af38}) with HRESULT 80041315 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_ITF,Code=4885 (0x1315)]. Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable (2)[gle=0x80004005]
    Old component: Microsoft-Windows-IIS-HttpErrors, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
    New component: Microsoft-Windows-IIS-HttpErrors, Version = 6.0.6001.17128, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
    CSIPERF:AIDONE;{81a34a10-4256-436a-89d6-794b97ca407c};Microsoft-Windows-IIS-HttpErrors, Version = 6.0.6001.17128, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral;274
    2008-01-17 12:28:41, Error CSI 00000f12 (F) Done with generic command 110 (0x0000006e); CreateProcess returned 0, CPAW returned S_OK
    Url reservation add failed, Error: 6

• 已编辑 tutudids 2018年8月27日 14:14 no reboot required
    2018年8月27日 14:00
  • BTW I did the last two posts, my failure was 80004005, same as another poster above, 80004005 is the same for both branchcache/peerdist and ISS... perhaps other numbers may be remedied the same... follow my instructions and hopefully you'll be well on your way, this is a windows update bug.

• 已编辑 tutudids 2018年8月27日 14:30
    2018年8月27日 14:09