none
Issue with Corrupt Contact Group

问题

• I have already asked in the Outlook 2016 forum but it was recommended I check here as well.

I have encountered a very strange issue with a user involving a very large contact group that they have created. The group appears to be corrupted as it cannot be opened from the contact directory stored within the Exchange mailbox (Exchange 2010). I tried to export the contacts and then repair the pst file and connect the data file. When I do this I am able to open the contact group from the pst file and it is usable. If I attempt to delete the contact group from the exchange mailbox I typically get an error but it does appear to be removed. Then if I try to drag the contact group from the pst file (or import) back to the exchange mailbox the exact same behavior occurs which prevents the contact group from working.

I also tried using The MAPI tool to go in and remove the list and then put it back and I still had the same behavior. Which leads me to several questions:

1. Is there a realistic or identifiable limit for contact groups in outlook 2016 (32 bit)? I have looked and found no documentation which explicitly defines this.

2. How can I repair or replace the contact group in the mailbox?

3. Aside from patching the client are there any other things I should be looking for that will prevent this from occurring in the future.

Question 1 was somewhat answered but any additional info as it relates to the exchange mailbox is appreciated.

2018年5月18日 15:41

全部回复

• Have you tried deleting it with OWA?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

2018年5月18日 19:08
  • Hi Karl,

Except above suggestion, you can also try to recreate the contact group and check if any helps. We can use a previous email that you sent to recreate this group:

Create a contact group or distribution list in Outlook for PC -- Use an email to create a contact group 

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年5月21日 7:46
    版主
  • Hi Ed,

Up to this point I had not. I did try your suggestion and encountered the same behavior in Outlook after re-importing the group. It does delete as far as I can tell however.

More interesting to note is that when I use OWA I can open the contact group from the mailbox without any problems so the issue seems to be isolated to the Outlook client and not the mailbox I think. But if that is the case then what in the heck is it that Outlook is doing differently that causes the problem.

2018年5月21日 14:50
  • Hi Karl,

If you change another PC and use outlook to open this contact group, does the same issue occur? 

If not, that would be an outlook client related issue, you can use outlook safe mode to check again

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年5月23日 9:22
    版主
  • I haven't tried another computer yet but I did try safe mode and that did not work.
    2018年5月29日 17:18
  • I went ahead and gave my account full access to the other users mailbox and when I attempt to open the list from my computer I also encounter the error message. This makes it very complicated to understand what is occurring since it behaves the same regardless of which user opens the file using Outlook however the list opens if it is exported to a pst or if OWA is used.
    2018年5月29日 20:47
  • Hi Karl,

My mean is to setup your outlook profile on another computer (not your computer).

Moreover, did you try to recreate the contact group as a workaround ? and how about the result?

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

2018年5月30日 9:50
    版主
  • The group can be recreated from scratch but I don't think that is what you mean.

As for the profile my mailbox profile was not the original profile so I assumed this would suffice for testing. I can definitely just setup an entirely new one however and get back with the result although my intuition says the result will be the same.

2018年5月30日 20:26