none
VMM and Shared VHDX

问题

• According to the VMM documentation, if I want to use Shared VHDX I need to define and use it in a service template.

If I created two VMs in Hyper-V using a shared VHDX, would the shared VHDX be recognised by VMM? Could I still reconfigure these VMs in VMM?

In other words, is this a limitation of how VMs are created in VMM, or is VMM incapable of recognising and working with shared VHDX outside a VMM set created by a service template?

2018年6月3日 5:56

答案

• Hi!

To add a shared VHDX you will need to use the Failover Cluster Manager (if it's a cluster) or Hyper-V Manager (if it's a standalone) as this is no longer under the control by VMM.

If I remember correctly VMM would just see the shared VHDX drive as a normal VHDX drive. VMM should be able to operate virtual machines with shared VHDX drives normally, but it has it's limitations.

Also Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016 brings a new feature called VHD Set, this type of disk enables to share virtual hard disks between several servers to implement guest cluster.

As VHD Set, Shared VHDX enables to share a virtual hard disk between multiple virtual machines. This feature is useful to implement a guest cluster where shared disks are required (as SQL Server AlwaysOn FCI or File Servers). Shared VHDX and VHD Set are great to avoid the use of virtual HBA and virtual SAN to present a LUN to the VMs. They are also necessary if you have implemented a SMB3 based storage solution. However shared VHDX feature as some limitation:

• Resizing and migrating a shared VHDX is not supported
    • Make a backup or a replica of a shared VHDX is not supported

The VHD Set feature has not these limitations. However, VHD Set is available only for Windows Server 2016 guest operating system. When creating a VHD Set, two files are created:

• A .avhdx file that contains data. This file is fixed or dynamic;
    • A .vhds file that contains metadata to coordinate information between guest cluster nodes. The size of this file is almost 260KB.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

2018年6月3日 13:15
  • Hello Tony, 

Although the shared VHDX is created by Hyper-V Manager or FCM, the VMs using the shared VHDX still can be managed by the VMM.

In addition, according to the blog article below, you can use the PowerShell cmdlets to provision shared VHDX files remotely from the VMM.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/storageserver/2013/11/25/shared-vhdx-files-my-favorite-new-feature-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2018年6月4日 7:09

全部回复

• Hi!

To add a shared VHDX you will need to use the Failover Cluster Manager (if it's a cluster) or Hyper-V Manager (if it's a standalone) as this is no longer under the control by VMM.

If I remember correctly VMM would just see the shared VHDX drive as a normal VHDX drive. VMM should be able to operate virtual machines with shared VHDX drives normally, but it has it's limitations.

Also Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016 brings a new feature called VHD Set, this type of disk enables to share virtual hard disks between several servers to implement guest cluster.

As VHD Set, Shared VHDX enables to share a virtual hard disk between multiple virtual machines. This feature is useful to implement a guest cluster where shared disks are required (as SQL Server AlwaysOn FCI or File Servers). Shared VHDX and VHD Set are great to avoid the use of virtual HBA and virtual SAN to present a LUN to the VMs. They are also necessary if you have implemented a SMB3 based storage solution. However shared VHDX feature as some limitation:

• Resizing and migrating a shared VHDX is not supported
    • Make a backup or a replica of a shared VHDX is not supported

The VHD Set feature has not these limitations. However, VHD Set is available only for Windows Server 2016 guest operating system. When creating a VHD Set, two files are created:

• A .avhdx file that contains data. This file is fixed or dynamic;
    • A .vhds file that contains metadata to coordinate information between guest cluster nodes. The size of this file is almost 260KB.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

2018年6月3日 13:15
  • Hello Tony, 

Although the shared VHDX is created by Hyper-V Manager or FCM, the VMs using the shared VHDX still can be managed by the VMM.

In addition, according to the blog article below, you can use the PowerShell cmdlets to provision shared VHDX files remotely from the VMM.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/storageserver/2013/11/25/shared-vhdx-files-my-favorite-new-feature-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2018年6月4日 7:09
  • I understood that the new VHD Set feature wasn't supported by VMM.  While I understand that VMM wouldn't be able to create a set of VMs using VHD Set, does this also mean that VMM wouldn't be able to manage those VMs?  For example:

• Could it successfully migrate the VM around the cluster?
    • Could it successfully modify VM properties (provided the disk properties weren't modified of course)

Basically, if I create a guest cluster using VHD Set, can I manage the constituent VMs from within VMM?

2018年6月6日 5:48