none
Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2 hangs during Windows Patches installation

问题

• I've been seeing this issue since Microsoft changed to the new Cumulative update style patching of Windows Server OS, a few months ago.

Exchange server 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2 hangs during Windows Patches when installing the latest OS patches. We install both the Security and Quality updates on the OS. It installs the patches in live mode, reboots and then when it's starting back up it hangs for a very long time in "Preparing to configure Windows ... Do not turn off your computer."

It doesn't seem like it's actually unavailable, it seems like it's doing its thing in the background, you can still browse to the server shares, event log, etc, but it seems like nothing is happening. I've needed to reboot the server every month in the last few months. If you do reboot it, then it just reboots, goes through the process and starts windows as usual (with 2 more reboots, after configuring patches). If you do not reboot it, it just stays like that for hours with no change.

While I do understand that the general idea is to leave it to complete, but I'd say over 2 hours is a very long time for 2 cumulative updates to install.

I have 6 Mailbox servers, and 6 CAS servers and each one of them does that. Mailbox servers almost every single time, while CAS servers only occasionally.

Has anyone else seen such behavior, and if you have, how are you dealing with it?

• 已编辑 Elle T 2018年6月9日 8:53 spelling errors
    2018年6月9日 8:52

全部回复

• I've been seeing this issue since Microsoft changed to the new Cumulative update style patching of Windows Server OS, a few months ago.

Exchange server 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2 hangs during Windows Patches when installing the latest OS patches. We install both the Security and Quality updates on the OS. It installs the patches in live mode, reboots and then when it's starting back up it hangs for a very long time in "Preparing to configure Windows ... Do not turn off your computer."

It doesn't seem like it's actually unavailable, it seems like it's doing its thing in the background, you can still browse to the server shares, event log, etc, but it seems like nothing is happening. I've needed to reboot the server every month in the last few months. If you do reboot it, then it just reboots, goes through the process and starts windows as usual (with 2 more reboots, after configuring patches). If you do not reboot it, it just stays like that for hours with no change.

While I do understand that the general idea is to leave it to complete, but I'd say over 2 hours is a very long time for 2 cumulative updates to install.

I have 6 Mailbox servers, and 6 CAS servers and each one of them does that. Mailbox servers almost every single time, while CAS servers only occasionally.

Has anyone else seen such behavior, and if you have, how are you dealing with it?

If these are windows updates, I would ask in the Windows forums. 

Having said that, since Exch 2010 and Win 2008 R2 are both out of mainstream support, I would recommend building out new servers instead and migrating to Win/Exch 2016. 

2018年6月9日 12:17
    版主
  • I've posted this in the Exchange forums because it only happens to the Exchange 2010 servers.
    2018年6月11日 7:08
  • Well, any security update for Exchange server?

During the Windows update, the last step is installing update and apply update in Windows, for example: replace file.
    It will cause some times to apply it when system rebooting.

Also, please note that the update page is different between Windows server versions, thus it does not indicate that the Exchange 2010 is the cause of it, even though this issue only arise on those Exchange 2010.

Based on my experience, I will check the WindowsUpdate.log (C:\Windows) and CBS.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS) to find more information.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年6月11日 9:26
    版主
  • Hi,

Any further help we can do for you?
    If it's solved, would you please post the solution here to share it with us? Thanks.
    Also, please free to mark the useful reply as answer. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年6月15日 1:55
    版主