none
Cannot send email on Exchange Resource Forest Spanned between two domains separated by WAN

問題

• Hi All,

Our Exchange Server resource forest environment spanned on two AD sites consisting two DAG, two mailbox and htcas servers on AD site A , and also two mailbox and htcas servers on AD site B. This environment hosting email for 3 domains. All accepted domains configured on Internal Relay. It works until we experience WAN disconnected for long time between two sites. While disconnected, email from domain C (which servers located on site B), to domain A & B (which servers located on site A) cannot be delivered, still queued on htcas servers on site B, and vice versa. If email sent from domain C to Internet, we have no problem because send connector for Internet configured to Ironport on site B.

While WAN disconnected, I tried to create new temp send connector on htcas server on site B, for send email to domain A & B , pointing smart host to the ironport IP on site B. I assume htcas server will deliver email to IronPort and then IronPort contact the mx gateway of domain A&B through Internet. After creating send connector, restarting MS Exchange transport service, tested sending email from domain C to domain A&B, IronPort still not receiving email from htcas server. Instead, email still queued on htcas server. How can we set DR plan on this scenario, if WAN disconnected, user domain C can still send email to domain A&B via connector through IronPort on site B, and also user domain A&B can still send email to domain C via IronPort on site A? FYI, domain controller of resource forest that hosting all fsmo roles located on site A.

Thanks for your support.

2018年7月8日 上午 10:45

解答

• A send connector doesn't work for internal mail, i.e., mail within your organization, so quit trying to do that.

What you should consider doing is configuring a temporary WAN replacement using a VPN tunnel when your regular WAN connection breaks since your problem is really a network problem, not an Exchange problem.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• 已標示為解答 Read One 2018年7月12日 上午 08:29
    2018年7月9日 上午 05:38

所有回覆

• A send connector doesn't work for internal mail, i.e., mail within your organization, so quit trying to do that.

What you should consider doing is configuring a temporary WAN replacement using a VPN tunnel when your regular WAN connection breaks since your problem is really a network problem, not an Exchange problem.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• 已標示為解答 Read One 2018年7月12日 上午 08:29
    2018年7月9日 上午 05:38
  • Hi Read One,

When you said "Exchange Server resource forest environment", did you mean that you have a account-resource forest environment described in the following article?

Deploy Exchange 2013 in an Exchange resource forest topology

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998031%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Or you have two Exchange organizations on Site A and Site B? I noticted that all accepted domains configured on Internal Relay, we usually need to add a Send connector that's sourced on a Mailbox server and configured to send email to the shared address space. Did you configure like that?

If they are two separate Exchange organization in Site A and Site B with different domain names, we do not need to add each other as internal relay domain to send email. Could you give us more information about your environment?

I am looking forward to your reply. 

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年7月9日 上午 06:11
  • Hi Gavin,

We have a account-resource forest environment, one exchange organization hosting for multiple company domains. As Ed Crowley said, it doesnt work. We solved it by creating backup WAN.

2018年7月12日 上午 08:29
  • Thanks for your feedback, if there is any further question, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年7月16日 上午 08:52