Create first Domain on Windows 2008 Server R2 Foundation RRS feed

• 問題

• Dear Sirs,

I have purchased PowerEdge Server and Windows 2008 Server R2 Foundation (OEM) from Dell. Dell engineer have installed the Windows software and hardware drivers. I just provided the basic configuration information such time/currency setting, static IP and administrator password during startup. 

I could change the computer name, but I was not able to change the Domain name in the "Computer Name/Domain Changes" page!!!  The error message is "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "project" could not be contacted."

My understanding is that the page "Computer Name/Domain Changes" only allows me to join the existing domain in the newtork. The Dell Server is the first Windows server on the network and I want to configure it as the Domain Controller. My question is how can I promote the Windows 2008 server from WORKGROUP to domain controller ?

Please kindly give me some direction.

Thanks all!

Richard Studio

2010年6月9日 上午 02:45

解答

• Dear Sirs,

May I describe more specific about my question. I am plannig to build a very small MS network for project. Can I create a simple domain controller for authentication purpose instead of building an complex Active Directory infratstructure with Forest, Domain and OU definition ?

Thank again!

Richard Ho

2010年6月9日 上午 05:40

所有回覆

• Dear Sirs,

May I describe more specific about my question. I am plannig to build a very small MS network for project. Can I create a simple domain controller for authentication purpose instead of building an complex Active Directory infratstructure with Forest, Domain and OU definition ?

Thank again!

Richard Ho

2010年6月9日 上午 05:40
  • Richard,

It sounds like you just want to promote a member server to a domain controller.  Running DCPromo will do that for you.  You cannot change the domain name unless there's a DC available to create your server account.

But if you want to make a 2003/8Server in a 2003/8Domain, you'll need to create a domain with AD.  If you run DCPromo and follow the prompts, you'll have everything done in a few minutes.  The DCPromo wizard will automatically install AD and DNS.

For the domain/forest name, just keep it simple with something like: test.local

BTW: From your first post.  You cannot change the forest/domain name (not easily).  If you mess up the first domain controller setu, you can run DCPromo to demote the domain controller.  Reboot...  Run DCPromo again to recreate the domain/forest/DC with your new information.

Ikky68...

2010年11月22日 下午 08:06