none
Online maintenance not working on Exchange 2010 SP3

問題

• We have a 4 member DAG running Exchange 2010 SP3 RU18. We have all 4 servers configured identically via Powershell configuration script. One of the servers does not seem to be running online maintenance to mark whitespace in all of the databases mounted on that server. When we look at the AvailableNewMailboxSpace property as part of our daily database report, all databases show 0 for that one server. This includes databases with no mailboxes. Since the databases aren't marking space for reuse, all the databases on the server grow every day even as mailboxes are moved or deleted.

We've rebooted the server already. I have also set diagnostic logging for MSExchangeIS | 9000 Private | Background Cleanup to High, but I'm just seeing event 1102 informationals "The background cleanup on message 1-2010CB6B5 is delayed (in use) on database ......." and not much else.  If I move a database to another DAG member, then it does indicate whitespace after the background cleanup runs on that second server.

Any ideas what other things to check?

2018年5月1日 下午 04:59

所有回覆

• Hi,

As we could see from the blog: Database Maintenance in Exchange 2010, we need to use ESEUTIL /MS to check the available whitespace in a database and AvailableNewMailboxSpace is not representative of the white space within the database.

"How can I check whitepace in a database?

You will need to dismount the database and use ESEUTIL /MS to check the available whitespace in a database. For an example, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996139(v=EXCHG.65).aspx (note that you have to multiply the number of pages by 32K).

Note that there is a status property available on databases within Exchange 2010, but it should not be used to determine the amount of total whitespace available within the database:

Get-MailboxDatabase MDB1 -Status | FL AvailableNewMailboxSpace 

AvailableNewMailboxSpace tells you is how much space is available in the root tree of the database. It does not factor in the free pages within mailbox tables, index tables, etc.  It is not representative of the white space within the database."

Any questions, feel free to post back!

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年5月2日 上午 07:47
    版主
  • I know eseutil /ms is the most accurate way to measure whitespace of an offline database. The issue here is that 3 servers are behaving in the normal way we've seen over time by reusing whitespace and only growing when necessary. One server has every database cumulatively growing in size every day, regardless of actual data. I have moved off 60 out of 80 users on a database, and the next day that database still grew in size. I'm sure that some databases will be full and need to grow, but 100% of them doing this on one specific servers suggests something else is wrong.
    2018年5月2日 下午 07:34
  • Hi,

After a deep research, in Exchange 2010, I found that we could monitor online maintenance by checking out the available 70x Event IDs, please check if they exist in the Event Viewer’s Application Log.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2018年5月4日 上午 10:05
    版主
  • I'm assuming these 70x events would be in source ESE? Not seeing any events with those numbers for ESE (or MSExchangeIS or MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store)
    2018年5月15日 下午 12:52
  • Sorry for the delay, if there is any emergency, to better resolve the issue, we suggest you open a ticket on Microsoft support. 

Thanks for your understandings!

Regards,

Manu Meng

2018年5月18日 上午 09:09
    版主