none
Exchange 2010 SP3 Management Shell stopped working with Windows 10 1709 update

問題

• The tool worked fine until this update was installed. I am now getting this error when I launch the shell:

GetComputerSite : Exception calling "GetComputerSite" with "0" argument(s): "Configuration system failed to initialize"
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\ConnectFunctions.ps1:164 char:92
    +     $localSite=[System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectorySite]::GetComputerSite <<<< ()
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

FindAll : The following exception was thrown when trying to enumerate the collection: "Configuration system failed to i
    nitialize".
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\ConnectFunctions.ps1:253 char:17
    +     $search.FindAll <<<< ()
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], ExtendedTypeSystemException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExceptionInGetEnumerator

ToString : You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\ConnectFunctions.ps1:146 char:33
    +                 $siteName = $siteDN.ToString <<<< ().SubString(3).Split(",")[0]
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (ToString:String) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

WARNING: No Exchange servers are available in the Active Directory site . Connecting to an Exchange server in another
    Active Directory site.
    Failed to connect to an Exchange server in the current site.
    Enter the server FQDN where you want to connect.:

Does anyone know what can be done to rectify this? We are running a hybrid deployment with Exchange 2010 SP3 and O365 and I would like to keep using the tool on my desktop computer.

Note the Management Console appears to be working fine.

2017年11月14日 下午 08:58

解答

• Hi Fuzzy,

In official document, it's not supported to install Exchange 2010 management tool on Windows 10, details see:

Supported operating system platforms

The following table identifies the operating system platforms on which each version of Exchange can run. Supported platforms are identified by an X character.

ImportantImportant:
    Releases of Windows Server and Windows client that aren't listed in the table below are not supported for use with any version or release of Exchange.

Operating system platform Exchange 2016 CU3 and later Exchange 2016 CU2 and earlier Exchange 2013 SP1 and later Exchange 2010 SP3

Windows Vista SP2

X1

Windows Server 2008 SP2

X

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

X

X

Windows 7 SP1

X1

X1

Windows 8

X1

X1

Windows 8.1

X1

X1

X1

Windows 10

X1

X1

Windows Server 2012

X

X

X

X

Windows Server 2012 R2

X

X

X

Windows Server 2016

X

1Only for Exchange management tools

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

2017年11月15日 上午 02:28
    版主

所有回覆

• I've been getting the same results as you, and I read elsewhere that neither the console or the shell are supported on Windows 10. Oh well.

Peter

2017年11月15日 上午 12:37
  • Hi Fuzzy,

In official document, it's not supported to install Exchange 2010 management tool on Windows 10, details see:

Supported operating system platforms

The following table identifies the operating system platforms on which each version of Exchange can run. Supported platforms are identified by an X character.

ImportantImportant:
    Releases of Windows Server and Windows client that aren't listed in the table below are not supported for use with any version or release of Exchange.

Operating system platform Exchange 2016 CU3 and later Exchange 2016 CU2 and earlier Exchange 2013 SP1 and later Exchange 2010 SP3

Windows Vista SP2

X1

Windows Server 2008 SP2

X

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

X

X

Windows 7 SP1

X1

X1

Windows 8

X1

X1

Windows 8.1

X1

X1

X1

Windows 10

X1

X1

Windows Server 2012

X

X

X

X

Windows Server 2012 R2

X

X

X

Windows Server 2016

X

1Only for Exchange management tools

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

2017年11月15日 上午 02:28
    版主
  • I understand that EMS 2010 on Windows 10 is not supported, but thats not statisfying ;-)

So a collegue and I did some investigations and found an easy solution:

Deleting C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe.config fixed it (powershell.exe.config is owned by TrustedInstaller so you have to take ownership if you want to delete it).

I have no idea if deleting that config file has other sideeffects.

• 已提議為解答 ngagne 2018年1月11日 下午 06:35
    2017年11月27日 下午 12:57
  • "Deleting C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe.config"

Thank you! That fixed it for me as well. :)

The only setting in that file appears to be: <add name="http" genericUriParserOptions="DontUnescapePathDotsAndSlashes"/>

Probably some kind of security enhancement that breaks the older scripts. 

2017年11月27日 下午 04:18
  • Hi Fuzzy,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

2017年12月4日 上午 03:08
    版主
  • Thanks that worked great.
    2017年12月13日 下午 11:34
  • This should be the real answer.  Thanks!
    2018年1月11日 下午 06:35
  • Worked for me as well.. Great ! 
    2018年2月6日 上午 07:31
  • You and your colleague are amazing! I spent hours looking for a solution to this. 

Thank you.

2018年2月16日 上午 12:24
  • I just migrated a couple PCs from Windows 1607 to 1709 and this broke.

lucky me I found this after a day of looking... what I did is to rename the current one to powershell.exe.config_OLD

go to the windows.old file > find the config file on the same path and do a copy and paste on the new path.

Solved the issue.

Thank Austrian Bossfan

2018年6月13日 下午 08:29