How to login to Windows Azure subscription using Office 365 account. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

I've been looking around the internet for a solution so that I'll be able to login to Windows Azure with my Office 365 account.

Here is the setup. The domain name are fictitious.

- I created a Microsoft Office 365 Partner account for a domain named avc.dk with a Microsoft account name avc.onmicrosoft.com.

- Later we have created a Trial Windows Azure account that has the domain abc.onmicrosoft.com

I know want to associate my Office 365 account with Windows Azure so that I'll will be able to login to Windows Azure with the same ID and password as I use for Office 365. I have seen a lot of suggestion how to do this when you first sign up for Windows Azure but I haven't been able to find anything on how to integrate an existing Office 365 account with an existing Windows Azure account. Do anyone know if this is possible and how to integrate if you have this kind of scenario?

Kinds Regards
    Hans Chr. Andersen

Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Hans,

It is possible to integrate Windows Azure account with an Office 365 account and here are the steps you must follow: 

1. Logon to the Windows Azure Portal https://manage.windowsazure.com.
    2. Click on Application Services | Active Directory | Directory | Custom Create.
    3. Change the Directory dropdown from the default Create new directory to Use existing directory and click the Check box.

Next you are logged out of the Windows Azure administrative account and you are redirected to the Windows Azure Active Directory logon.

1. Logon with a Global Administrator account from the Office 365 tenant that you would like to integrate.
    2. After sign in you are prompted to add the Windows Azure administrator account as a global administrator for the Office 365 Tenant directory, click on Continue.
    3. Logout of the Office 365 global administrator account and then logon to https://manage.windowsazure.com with your global administrator account.

The above mentioned procedure is fully tested and it works. Hope it helps

Thanks

Vaggelis Kappas

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Hans,

I think you need, create a Support Ticket.
    Try this one: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=14238&ln=en-us&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn

Maybe they will merge your accounts.

BR,

Emil Wasilewski

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Hey Hans,

Yes this is definitely possible. I have set this up a few times now - for exactly the reasons you specified!

The way I did it was like this:

1. Create Office 365 subscription. By default account used to create this will be a global admin.

2. Go to Windows Azure and sign up for a subscription using the same credentials as your Office 365 global admin.

It's as simple as that.

The thing to remember is that Office 365 by the fact of signing up to it, creates a Windows Azure Active Directory (WAAD) that it uses for its authentication mechanism. You can try to login to Azure with your Office 365 global admin account when you don't have an Azure subscription. It will authenticate you, but then says you don't have any active subscriptions and goes no further.

Once you do create a subscription using that global admin account from Office 365, have a look around the portal, and you will find your Office 365 services present, and also other users you may have created within 365 already.

Hope that helps.

adrian

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:01 AM
  • Adrian,

thanks for the clarity on this but I have 2 questions,

1. Is there any charge to createing the subscription?

2. I have a customer is that asking about the Self-Service password reset within O365 which I know required WAAD Premium. Is there any additional cost/charge for enabling this in WAAD?

Thanks!

Albert.

Friday, January 31, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Hello Hans,

It is possible to integrate Windows Azure account with an Office 365 account and here are the steps you must follow: 

1. Logon to the Windows Azure Portal https://manage.windowsazure.com.
    2. Click on Application Services | Active Directory | Directory | Custom Create.
    3. Change the Directory dropdown from the default Create new directory to Use existing directory and click the Check box.

Next you are logged out of the Windows Azure administrative account and you are redirected to the Windows Azure Active Directory logon.

1. Logon with a Global Administrator account from the Office 365 tenant that you would like to integrate.
    2. After sign in you are prompted to add the Windows Azure administrator account as a global administrator for the Office 365 Tenant directory, click on Continue.
    3. Logout of the Office 365 global administrator account and then logon to https://manage.windowsazure.com with your global administrator account.

The above mentioned procedure is fully tested and it works. Hope it helps

Thanks

Vaggelis Kappas

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:33 PM
  • I did this and when I login to my Azure account with my LIVE id I can see that my O365 domain was added, but I still cannot login to my Azure account with my O365 id, nor can I add the O365 id as an administrator of the Azure account. When trying to add my O365 user, I get this message in spite of the fact both my accounts show in the AD users list.

The co-administrator must be a Microsoft account, or a user in the Default Directory directory. You can only add a co-administrator from the Default Directory directory if you are also a user in that directory.

I can't even post this message because of this problem and have to sign out and back in if I did so elsewhere.

Dave

Monday, May 12, 2014 2:55 PM
  • I finally managed to add my O365 user as an admin but somehow the user that created the Azure account lost access. Maybe the original problem had to do with a delay after adding the directory to Azure even though I waited a couple hours? The userid that created the account, no longer sees the BizSpark account, even though when I log on with my userid, it shows that user as the service administrator for the BizSpark account. This stuff should not be so hard to use.

Especially irritating is that you can only sign in ANYWHERE at Microsoft, no matter the website, with one account at a time. How is that helpful? I could not even post here without signing out and back in since I had elsewhere signed in with different credentials! This stuff is SO SCREWED UP!

Dave

Monday, May 12, 2014 11:58 PM
  • Dave,

I understand your frustration with the signing in one site at a time.  If you use IE I found a pretty good workaround that allows you to sign another MS site without logging off the other user. In IE you can start an "In Private Browsing" session which basically forgets what your other browsers are doing (and it also doesn't save history, temp files etc.).  In IE 11 the option is on the Safety menu.  I have been using it a lot lately.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:51 PM
  • It is much worse a problem than appears.  The fact is that you can't publish to Azure using Visual Studio if you are logged into Office 365 with a different account.  And the suggestion to use private browsing does not help here.  You have to clear cookies and login with Azure account.  So this is unacceptable.  Microsoft needs to make sure cookies set for the Office 365 do not interfere with logging into Azure account.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:45 AM