Dashboard Designer Download Error Message - The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assista RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to access and run the dashboard installer from my monitoring server.  While I am able to hit the IIS website and successfully run the download from the monitoring server itself, I am not able to do so from a client computer.  While I can pull up Monitoring Central, when I hit Run for the download, I get an error message popup of Cannot Start Application.  Cannot continue.  The application is improperly formatted.  Contact the application vendor for assistance.  The details button yields the following:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.1433
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://dev-pds01.develop.colohfa.org:40000/DesignerInstall/

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of http://dev-pds01.develop.colohfa.org:40000/DesignerInstall/ resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Exception reading manifest from http://dev-pds01.develop:40000/DesignerInstall/: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
      + '>' is an unexpected token. The expected token is '"' or '''. Line 1, position 55.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [9/8/2008 1:42:44 PM] : Activation of http://dev-pds01.develop:40000/DesignerInstall/ has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [9/8/2008 1:42:44 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
      - Exception reading manifest from http://dev-pds01.develop:40000/DesignerInstall/: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Xml.XmlException
      - '>' is an unexpected token. The expected token is '"' or '''. Line 1, position 55.
      - Source: System.Xml
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.DtdParserProxy.System.Xml.IDtdParserAdapter.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.DtdParser.Throw(Int32 curPos, String res, String[] args)
       at System.Xml.DtdParser.ThrowUnexpectedToken(Int32 pos, String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)
       at System.Xml.DtdParser.ParseExternalId(Token idTokenType, Token declType, String& publicId, String& systemId)
       at System.Xml.DtdParser.ParseInDocumentDtd(Boolean saveInternalSubset)
       at System.Xml.DtdParser.Parse(Boolean saveInternalSubset)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDoctypeDecl()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()
       at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Thanks!

Bill

Monday, September 8, 2008 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill,

Have you tried connecting with IP address, look like error message displaying with FQDN dev-pds01.develop.colohfa.org as well as dev-pds01.develop

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

Have you tried connecting with IP address, look like error message displaying with FQDN dev-pds01.develop.colohfa.org as well as dev-pds01.develop

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:17 PM
  •  

Sundar,

I don't have an issue getting to the site using the fqdn + the port.  Monitoring central opens just fine.  It's when I hit the "RUN" button on that site to download dashboard designer that I get the error.  The monitoring server is set up in our dev environment.  I am hitting it from our production environment (which is why I need to use the fully qualified domain name.)  I'm wondering if I have to make changes in the designer xml manifest file as the error seems to be there.  I was hoping that someone else would have had a similar problem so I could more easily get to the problem in the xml (if that is the problem.)

Thanks,

BIll

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I  have problem like you.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Hello,

What account is running the Monitoring Central Application pool?  It should be a domain user account that has access tot he PPSMonitoring DB.

Aseem Nayar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

from monitoring server itself when I click on Run it try to connect to some Microsoft site and then it ask confirmation to run dashboard designer application
    and when I click on Run it tries to download and then after sometime return back with an error as follows:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.2.3790.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.3053
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://hou150ntah3v379:40000/DesignerInstall/
          Server  : Microsoft-IIS/6.0
     Application url   : http://hou150ntah3v379:40000/DesignerInstall/3.0/PSCBuilder.exe.manifest
          Server  : Microsoft-IIS/6.0

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Scorecard Builder.app, Version=3.0.3520.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c3bce3770c238a49, processorArchitecture=x86
     Application Identity  : Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Scorecard Builder.exe, Version=3.0.3520.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c3bce3770c238a49, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
     * Online only application.

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of http://hou150ntah3v379:40000/DesignerInstall/ resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Downloading http://hou150ntah3v379:40000/DesignerInstall/3.0/PSCBuilder.exe.config did not succeed.
      + The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [5/6/2009 1:13:58 PM] : Activation of http://hou150ntah3v379:40000/DesignerInstall/ has started.
     * [5/6/2009 1:13:59 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [5/6/2009 1:13:59 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [5/6/2009 1:13:59 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
     * [5/6/2009 1:14:02 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [5/6/2009 1:14:02 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
      - Downloading http://hou150ntah3v379:40000/DesignerInstall/3.0/PSCBuilder.exe.config did not succeed.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
      - Source: System
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

any help will be appriciated...
    *Note - My server was offline but I seted up my server to by-pass proxy and connect to internet by doing proxy settings in InternetOption --> Connection --> Lan settings.

I think I have to do this setting some where else also but I am not sure where.

Yash

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Hello Yashvi,

Here are a couple of things to try.

1 - Install Dashboard Designer manually using the PSCBuilder.application install instead of Monitoring Central. This file is located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\DesignerInstall.
    2 - Try giving the logged in user full control rights to the PPSMonitoring_1 directory on the PPS server. It can be found here C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1.

Thanks,
    Jon Thomas
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Thanks Jon

The first option worked out for me perfectly....

When I run PSCBuilder.application at that time it downloaded all the required files from PerformancePoint installation folders(local drive)

So it raised a question -- What is the meaning of one click technology?.. Why it is required?. Why didn't they keep it simple and install DD at the time of installation or give it as an option tht time..?

Thanks again
    Yash 
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:38 PM