none
VIRTUALIZING BUSINESS OBJECTS Crystal Reports Pro 11.0

Question

• Hi All,

We have virtualized BUSINESS OBJECTS Crystal Reports Pro 11.0. We have checked the functionality of the application and all the options work expect a particular option under View tab (View-->Repositiry Viewer).

When we select the option, the main exe (crw32.exe) crashes and the application closes. Have anyone come across this error in BO? Kindly give me some suggestions :-)

• Moved by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:38 AM Please do not post questions in the Sequencing Recipe forum (From:App-V Sequencing Recipe Forum)
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:43 AM

Answers

• A bit late to be of any help, but thought I'll post this for anyone looking at this in future.

I've have successfully sequenced all versions of Crystal Reports including XI.

The issue is usually caused by DEP. Either disable DEP completely by running "bcdedit /set nx alwaysoff" in 'Admin' mode, or create an Application SHIM database using the App Compat Toolkit for the "CRW32.exe" process to disable DEP accordingly. 
    The SHIM flag is "DisableNX"

Hope this helps.

Carl

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Okay..... Finally we have convinced to give it as a MSI package.... i have other versions of BO and will try to virtualize them :-)

Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:02 PM

All replies

• What does a Process Monitor capture show you when the application crashes?
    • Are the dependencies of the application in the same package or installed on the client PC/sequencing PC?
    • Have you confirmed that the crash does not occur if the software is installed instead of virtualized?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Hi Aaron

Thanks for your reply.

• What does a Process Monitor capture show you when the application crashes?

We did perfom a procmon capture. it was showing some dll files as NAME NOT FOUND. Those were the applications DLL files and they are actually present in the virtual package. And the Error Reporting Service process was captured which says FAST IO DISALLOWED for the app *.*DLL within the bubble 

• Are the dependencies of the application in the same package or installed on the client PC/sequencing PC?

The application does not install any dependency and we actually dont have dependency for this app

• Have you confirmed that the crash does not occur if the software is installed instead of virtualized?

Yes the locally installed app is working without any issues. This app comes with vendor MSI and we have created the MST. It works fine without any issues.

I have checked with many of them who work on APP-V and no one have done sequencing for Bussiness Objects Crystal Reports. Hence i would like to know if sequencing BO is  a feasible solution? We have taken the Flexera Virtualization suitability report for the app and unfortunately it says Green :-(, as a result we were directed to deliver this as a virtual app.

Thanks again for your help

***what forum i am supposed to select while posting question???

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Don't worry about FAST_IO_DISALLOWED, that's not an error.

Are you performing a VFS install or an install to the Q: drive. Is the Q: drive in your sequencing VM a dedicate vDisk?

What version of the sequencer and client are you using? See the full list of versions here: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/app-v-faq-5-what-are-the-current-versions-of-app-v/ 

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Thanks Aaron.

We are performing a Q drive install and the Q: drive in my sequencing VM is a dedicated vDisk.

For sequencing i use App-V 4.6 and the client version is App-V 4.6 SP1

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Sorry I can't help with your particular issue, but I have sequenced 11.5 and just checked the Repository Explorer and it works fine.

Sequenced on 4.6 SP1 with latest hotfixes (try applying these if you haven't already!), nothing special done during sequencing.  Only known issue so far is smart tags don't appear when pasting content into Office documents (since the local Office cannot see the smart tag reg keys).

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Okay..... Finally we have convinced to give it as a MSI package.... i have other versions of BO and will try to virtualize them :-)

Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:02 PM
  • I don't know if I go against the grain but I've put middleware like Business Objects, Visual C++, Flash Player, Silverlight and Java down locally and managed them as local installs. In some cases I'll come across apps that can't be virtualized but need those common middleware components. If you've virtualized them the app that can't be virtualized will need the app local because it won't be able to see into the virtual environment.

I also just think it makes it easier to manage when you split the middleware out and leave it local. App-V can help in the rare cases you may need multiple versions for one offs. Just my 2 cents.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:13 PM
  • thanks for your valuable comments Rory......  i ll have a finall call with customer and decide on how to deliver BO :-)

Gopi

Monday, October 1, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

I am new to Citrix/ Virtualization.

Can you please provide me the steps on how to sequence crystal reports 11.5 version.

Thanks,

Reddy

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:00 PM
  • A bit late to be of any help, but thought I'll post this for anyone looking at this in future.

I've have successfully sequenced all versions of Crystal Reports including XI.

The issue is usually caused by DEP. Either disable DEP completely by running "bcdedit /set nx alwaysoff" in 'Admin' mode, or create an Application SHIM database using the App Compat Toolkit for the "CRW32.exe" process to disable DEP accordingly. 
    The SHIM flag is "DisableNX"

Hope this helps.

Carl

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:19 AM