none
Mail crashing in WINDOWS 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows 10, no problems at first but now, everytime I try to read my mail

it crashes.  I start over and it will let me read a couple then its closed again. Wasn't doing this the first day

but it is now. I am on an HP desktop but it is also occurring on my HP Laptop.  Neither are very old.

Thanks

Saturday, August 8, 2015 9:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• In order to help you effectively we need to know exactly what email system you are using.  You can see the differences here

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:48 AM
  • Hi,

If you use Mail app, you can try following FAQ to repair this app: (steps are ok for Windows 10 RTM)

[Forum FAQ]How to fix built-in Apps that cannot work correctly in Windows 10 Insider Preview
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2ca4d19d-66a5-49ee-b8f1-f94fa52eb7c2/forum-faqhow-to-fix-builtin-apps-that-cannot-work-correctly-in-windows-10-insider-preview?forum=WinPreview2014General

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 10, 2015 5:00 PM
    Owner
  • Same problem here!
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:54 PM
  • Perhaps try the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter, open Settings search for 'trouble' select Troubleshooting. Select 'Hardware and Sound' (bear with this), then towards the bottom under the Windows heading 'Windows Store Apps'. Does that find any issues?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:26 PM
  • No - the problem persists. Mail app keeps crashing (over an over) seconds after opening, without error msg.
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 3:01 PM
  • No - the problem persists. Mail app keeps crashing (over an over) seconds after opening, without error msg.

If would be beneficial if you start a new thread with you own question for assistance with this. There is a 'Ask a question' (in a blue box) and the top of the page.

Not sure what you have tried exactly or how long your issues has been affecting you. So can you ask a question with those details and perhaps have a look at How to ask an effective question a guide by Team ZigZag.

Thanks

Saturday, December 12, 2015 5:27 PM
  • There was , imho, nothing wrong with OP question, it was stated correctly and with plenty  of detail.

I know, because, that's exactly how I likely would have phrased it.

Because, the same thing, is happening to me , right now here in windows 10.

I doesn't happen a lot, just started yesterday and continues today.

I wish I could go back to windows 7, and I might even try.

I paid $38.00 for windows 8 several yrs ago, and it been one catastrophe after another.

Hardly worth the purchase price. I actually think Microsoft, given the mess the windows mobile updated was, owes ME and many, a lot of money for the circus of support we've endured, often via non native English speakers.

I will save my money ,earnestly, and go macosX very soon and hopefully leave problems behind me.

THis is not a 'bash' Microsoft, its more of a help sign in bold letters.

I also got nowhere, trying to return my phone ( MS lumia 649 LTE), because unless I go into a store ( did not buy from Microsoft store, kinda wish I had ?) its proven impossible, as Microsoft has turned support for those devices, online anyway, over to Germany at support.b2x.com

The ironic thing about that, is the page's form makes no sense, it asks for  phone # info, in the first field of line 4, in the form of " +XX " which nobody seems to be able to make sense of.

That was as of 2 days ago, and its still that way.

Does anyone wonder why  many are interest in Microsoft products at least those who use windows 8/10/mobile ?

I've been a LONG time user of their products, but I'm at my breaking point, and I'm a incredibly patient person.

Shameful.

• Edited by gleej Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:00 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 3:57 PM
  • I agree. The first post is perfectly worded. I've been searching the internet for an hour now trying to find a fix for exactly this problem, and nothing covers it. I see that 57 minutes ago Gleej reported this issue, too. I am logging this to mention that after months of using Windows 10 Mail without issues, today (and probably last night) it started closing automatically on me every time I try to preview e-mails. This makes the windows 10 Mail useless and makes my last four months of e-mail not retrievable.

I've even run the Windows store app trouble shooter five times, and it doesn't help.

Edit: And I won't risk uninstalling the mail ap. I can't risk losing my e-mails. I need it fixed, not a clean slate.
    • Edited by Drupix57 Saturday, October 22, 2016 5:02 PM Elaboration
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:55 PM
  • I have this same problem today. I talked to Microsoft support who had me create second user profile. It still did it there. I was then given steps to download ISO and run the setup to reinstall windows 10 files. I did that and it also did not work. Its only my one PC. I use mail on another PC just fine. It worked fine for months just noticed it starting today.

On the second profile it did bring message up on resetting default html to Microsoft Edge. I have a feeling its an issue when the mail tries to read HTML page and crashes. However no message and it happens only when I click mail to read it. I still have no idea on a fix.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 5:17 PM
  • I HAD the same problem.  Been using the Mail app for 4 months on a new PC with Win 10 without problem.  Was working fine 8 days ago.  Yesterday when I opened Mail for first time since 8 days ago, the Mail app would open, download and display emails in the left pane but when I selected an email to read it, after a few seconds the Mail app would auto close to desktop.  On another laptop with Win 10, Mail was still working fine.

The only thing that had happened on the new PC (where Mail wasn't working) in the last 8 days was an Nvidia driver update that I'd installed a couple of days ago.

This morning I installed the latest Nvidia driver update (375.63) and now the Mail app works correctly again.

Not sure if this is just a coincidence or if the previous Nvidia driver was causing the problem with Mail crashing but it looks like the latest Nvidia driver installation fixed the problem for me.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

• Proposed as answer by hythloday005 Monday, October 24, 2016 1:08 PM
    Sunday, October 23, 2016 8:57 PM
  • I had the same problem with Mail and so I rolled back the NVIDA driver and Mail works ok now.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:05 PM
  • Thanks for that, John987n. That solved it. I had Nvidia driver 375.57, and looking on NVidia.com I found a driver 375.63 which just came out a few hours ago. I installed it, and now the Windows 10 Mail no longer closes when previewing e-mails.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 4:59 AM
  • thanks.  fixed the problem for me too.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Thank you for posting your fix!  My mail started crashing about a week ago.  I have been searching the web, running scans, fixes, and resets for the last few days and nothing has worked. 

I also had an Nvidia driver update right before my mail went wacky, in fact I got a quick warning pop up during the update process but was unable to read it.  Since the initial bad update, I had another update a few days ago but it did not help the Mail/Calendar problem.  Thanks to your email, I just checked for the latest driver which was released 10/23  and it has fixed the Mail problem.

Thumbs up.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:06 PM
  • Hi there

I have the same problem with Mail and Calendar app crashing. 

Triied with another account and it worked perfectly sp no problem with graphics driver. 

Any other ideas?

I have tried all, removing, reinstalling, with PowerShell, without powershell. Nothing. 

Any ideas?

Svein

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:04 PM
  •  yes me too.  can't send hyperlinks by email , went on for a long time now outlook doesn't even work.

it would be nice to get rid of the useless crap like office, cortana and a whole bunch more useless crap.

i an afraid to take this shit off and have to screw around with this clumsy program to get my basic functions back. clutter is a problem. let us lose the crap without taking the basic stuff out,

i am trying to use firefox to escape the huge volume of pathetic crap cluttering up Microsoft

FYVM

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

This worked for me - using NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, Lenovo Thinkpad W520.

Right click on desktop and choose 'NVIDIA Control Panel' then 'Manage 3D settings'.

Under tab Global Settings, choose 'Auto-select' under 'Preferred graphics processor'.

Monday, March 19, 2018 7:15 AM