none
Difference between 2 approaches: VLAN-based configuration and direct access to the logical network with no isolation

Question

• Hello everybody,

I confused by the two approaches of configuring VLAN networks with VMM.

I have a VLAN-divided corporate network in my environment.  Some of my VMs will have different VLANs. I do not want to use network virtualization (software define network) because

1.  All VM are just corporate servers
    2.  Encapsulation (GRE) will decrease network speed
    3. I use only seven VLANs on this cluster farm.

As I understand, I have two approaches:

1. One connected network with no isolation

In this case, I add all my VLANs in Site section on Logical Network configuration. After this i need assign right VLAN on each VM.

1. VLAN-based configuration

In this case, I add logical network with ISOLATIOТ. After I create deferent VMnetwork for each VLAN. After I need crate Virtual Adapters for each VMnetwork. At the end, I need assign this VMnetwork for each VM.

Microsoft recommend use second variant by I don’t find any information – what is the difference? In First case VM with different VLAN not connect with each other. Only through a router – it is a same behavior as Second case.

What is a Pros and Cons using second Variant?

Monday, February 6, 2017 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Based on the scenario you described, both of the two approaches can meet your requirements.

However, if you have two or more overlapping networks with different VLAN IDs, such as one network is for testing, while the other one is for production, then that makes the difference. 

To isolate the overlapping networks, you need to use VLAN-based configuration, or One connected network with network virtualization enabled.

On the other hand, with One connected network with no isolation, you even don't need to assign the VLAN ID to VMs, the VMs still can communicate with each other, if they are in the same subnet. It just like all the VMs are connected to a switch without VLAN configured.

In addition, from the point of management, I would recommend to use VLAN-based configuration. You can create VM networks with the same VLAN as the physical network. This makes it more logical clear for management.

Best regards,
    Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by lock2007 Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:51 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:19 AM