none
Office 2016 App-V through ODT error 30016-7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. 

I'm trying to create an App-V package using the Office Deployment Tool from Microsoft. I'm doing this on a Virtual Machine that i do all my sequencing on. It's outside the domain with Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. I´ve also tried it on a Windows 10 OS Machine with errors. 

I've tried downloading and packaging with the below config file:

<Configuration>
       <Add SourcePath= "C:\Office2016" OfficeClientEdition="32" >
        <Product ID="ProPlusVolume">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
        <Product ID="VisioProVolume">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
      </Add>  

<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
      <!--  <Logging Path="C:\Office2016" /> -->
      <!--  <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Branch="Current" /> -->
      <!--  <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />  -->
    </Configuration>

I'm getting a 30016-7 and crashing during the stage of "Creating Package" once it reaches 20%. 

I've also tried both downloading and packaging with: 

<Configuration>
        <Add SourcePath="C:\Office2016" OfficeClientEdition="32" >
        <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail" >
        <Language ID="en-us" />
         </Product>
        <Product ID="VisioProRetail" >
        <Language ID="en-us" />
         </Product>
       </Add> 
        <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />  
      </Configuration>

Tried these configs on both the 2012 and Windows 10 machines with the error code 30016-7. 

Any ideas? I will post the log file from packaging below. 

Friday, January 8, 2016 11:25 AM

Answers

• Finally i have a solution. Its by no means a pretty one. 

What you have to do is the following steps. 

1. Get the newest version on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117

2. Create 2 folders in "C:\Temp".  "Office 2016" and "Office 2016 App-V"

3. Create/Modify your Custom.xml file to suit your needs. Mine was for Volume Licence Version of Office Pro and Visio Pro. 

<Configuration>
    <Add SourcePath="C:\Temp\Office 2016" OfficeClientEdition="32" Branch="Current">
    <Language ID="en-US" />
    </Product>
     <Language ID="en-us" />
    </Product>
    </Add>
    <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="True" />
    <Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />
    <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />
    </Configuration>

4. Run the command with elevated Command Promt inside the folder containing the extract from ODT. "setup.exe /download custom.xml" 

5. Run the command with elevated Commant Promp inside the folder containing the extract from ODT.

"setup.exe /packager custom.xml "C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV"

This should end up in failure around the 20% mark of adding files to package. 

6. Now browse to C:\Users\<user>\Appdata\Local\Temp and Copy "Microsoft Office" folder to "C:\Temp" and then rename it to MSO

After That run following command:
    C:\Temp\MSO\root\flattener\flattener.exe /Source:"C:\Temp\MSO" /Dest:"C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV" /Version:"16.0.6366.2036" /ProductReleaseIDs:"ProPlusVolume,VisioProVolume" /Cultures:"en-US,x-none" /Platform:"x86"

If done correctly your package will be created in "C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV.

This was done on a fully updated Windows Server 2012 R2 freshly installed. 

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:02 AM

All replies

• http://www.filedropper.com/av-is-app-seq02-20160108-1036
    Friday, January 8, 2016 11:32 AM
  • I've had this issue for about 2 months now. Posed the question to MS Support (at my cost) and they still haven't found a solution.
    Sunday, January 10, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Funny problem really. 

All the different package ID download fine. No problem during the startup of the packager (granted you have the config right) but when the packager starts using flattener.exe to put the actual files into the package it always crashed with the before mentioned error once it reaches 20%. 

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Are you using the latest ODT tool? Sometimes it will affect the result.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:10 AM
  • I downloaded it on the 07.01.2016 from this url: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117   -   The version on the OfficeDeploymentTool.exe is 16.0.6508.6350

ps. They seem to be up a number to 16.0.6508.6351 - I will try with the new version 

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:34 PM
  • I ran the download and packager again with the new version and default config. Same error at 20% and 30016-7. 

Updated the machine (Its a Server 2012 R2 Standard) and tried it again. Same error. 

Switched to a Windows 2008 R2 machine for test purpose and fully updated it. Same error.

Tried a clean boot. Same error.

I setup a brand new from the disk Server 2012 R2 Standard machine. Same Error. 

The config is now: 

<Configuration>
     <Add SourcePath="C:\Temp\Office 2016" OfficeClientEdition="32" Branch="Current">
     <Language ID="en-us" />
     </Product>
     <Language ID="en-us" />
     </Product>
     <Product ID="ProjectProVolume">
     <Language ID="en-us" />
     </Product>
     </Add>
    </Configuration>

I've tried using the /packager with absolute path

setup.exe /packager "C:\Temp\Office 2016\Config.xml" "C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV"

and running the cmd from the folder as well. 

setup.exe /packager config.xml "C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV"

Same error. 

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Ran it again with the New 2012 R2 Standard fully updated. Same error. 

Tried installing the package on that machine from the default config and that worked. 

Tried to package again with Office 2016 installed. Default configuration.xml. Same error. 

Basicly gotten to the point that the ODT is broken when it comes to creating the App-V Package? 

Friday, January 15, 2016 10:51 AM
  • I've tried every combination of client machine, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 2008, 2008 r2, 2012, 2012 r2, and even went as far as trying it with the RC for 2016.  I even tried it from different data centres to

All failed with the same error.

If you turn logging on, you will see that there are some files that are failing to download during the /download.  I have reported these to MS support, but still waiting to receive a solution.

Its definitely a frustrating one, as I am waiting to launch a hosted desktop product, and can't until this is out of the way.

David

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Finally i have a solution. Its by no means a pretty one. 

What you have to do is the following steps. 

1. Get the newest version on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117

2. Create 2 folders in "C:\Temp".  "Office 2016" and "Office 2016 App-V"

3. Create/Modify your Custom.xml file to suit your needs. Mine was for Volume Licence Version of Office Pro and Visio Pro. 

<Configuration>
    <Language ID="en-US" />
    </Product>
     <Language ID="en-us" />
    </Product>
    </Add>
    <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="True" />
    <Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />
    <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />
    </Configuration>

4. Run the command with elevated Command Promt inside the folder containing the extract from ODT. "setup.exe /download custom.xml" 

5. Run the command with elevated Commant Promp inside the folder containing the extract from ODT.

"setup.exe /packager custom.xml "C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV"

This should end up in failure around the 20% mark of adding files to package. 

6. Now browse to C:\Users\<user>\Appdata\Local\Temp and Copy "Microsoft Office" folder to "C:\Temp" and then rename it to MSO

After That run following command:
    C:\Temp\MSO\root\flattener\flattener.exe /Source:"C:\Temp\MSO" /Dest:"C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV" /Version:"16.0.6366.2036" /ProductReleaseIDs:"ProPlusVolume,VisioProVolume" /Cultures:"en-US,x-none" /Platform:"x86"

If done correctly your package will be created in "C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV.

This was done on a fully updated Windows Server 2012 R2 freshly installed. 

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Really dirty! But, it does work!  Well done!

Had to do a bit of hunting for the Microsoft Office folder in the App Data, as the location was slightly different to yours, but a quick search for Flattener.exe sorted that you

Now, if only MS would get their stuff together and fix it properly!

Thanks though!

D

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:41 PM
  • Thank you Trausti,

That's for sure a working fix and for me the only working fix! Used it on version 16.0.6741.2017 and make sure you have a space before the /Version. Also the "Microsoft Office" folder  is in C:\Users\<user>\Local\Appdata\Temp and I typed "Flattener" and "Flattener.exe" with an uppercase two times as it is so in the "Microsoft Office" directory.

Monday, March 21, 2016 1:54 PM
  • Thanks to both Erjen and Trausti!

I wonder how you managed to get this "dirty fix" in the first place, but it sure helped me a lot!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:46 PM
  • I have found another workaround[1].  The trick is to run the packaging process while logged in with an account whose user name is less than 8 characters.

[1] http://microsofttouch.fr/default/b/js/archive/2016/04/01/app-v-5-office-deployment-tool-renvoie-lors-du-s-quencement-packaging-d-office-2016

• Edited by Greg B [] Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by hmn_ Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:43 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:01 PM
  • I have found another workaround[1].  The trick is to run the packaging process while logged in with an account whose user name is less than 8 characters.

[1] http://microsofttouch.fr/default/b/js/archive/2016/04/01/app-v-5-office-deployment-tool-renvoie-lors-du-s-quencement-packaging-d-office-2016

Many thanks Greg, that solved the problem for me.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:44 AM
  • Hi , this process helped me to create Appv Package for 32 bit . but when i am trying to publish the package its not showing shortcuts , although deployment config xml file contains details of shortcuts .Is there any work around for the  same ?
    • Edited by Reply here Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:05 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:04 PM
  • This has been unbelievably helpful for me.

For those, such as me, who also want to use a different PackageGUID than the default flattener uses, which seems to get dropped from the command when detailed in the config XML file at the initial 0-7 error, you can add the following to the flattener command "PackageGUID=2BD94716-59A4-4A86-B074-1704D4981E4B", (believe letters must be in caps, as as in the config XML) e.g.:

C:\Temp\MSO\root\flattener\flattener.exe PackageGUID=2BD94716-59A4-4A86-B074-1704D4981E4B /Source:"C:\Temp\MSO" /Dest:"C:\Temp\Office 2016 AppV" /Version:"16.0.6366.2036" /ProductReleaseIDs:"ProPlusVolume,VisioProVolume" /Cultures:"en-US,x-none" /Platform:"x86"

took me far longer than I would like to admit to find out this.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:02 AM
  • The version number is also important to note as my version number was different (obviously as this fix was posted last year). This can be found in the "C:\temp\Office2016 AppV\WorkingDir\flattener.log" file . Just search for "Setting package version to" and the correct version number should be there.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 10:42 AM
  • Thanks to everyone.  I tried both the methods (Trausti & Greg B).  Both worked successfully.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:23 PM
  • By the way, if anyone stumbles on this thread it appears that with the latest ODT tool, the possibility to create a Office365 App-V Package is fixed. 

Just created a package the other day and the tool ran smoothly. Only thing needed was to add a Registry key to the package for SharedComputerLicencing. 

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:27 PM
  • Hi Trausti - Do you have the link for latest ODT tool?  Just want to keep it in my collection for future reference.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:22 PM
  • Just the latest link from Microsoft. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Trausti - Thanks for the link. 

I did use this ODT tool to create office 2016 app-v package and it failed.  Followed your old posting and Greg Posting listed above and it worked.

I guess MS has not fixed the issue yet.  

Ram

Thursday, August 9, 2018 12:56 PM
  • This didn't work for me sadly, but it helped me in digging around to find the issue.

I was trying to get both the 32 and 64 bit versions and only the 64 bit version would download, the other provided the annoyingly vague error Microsoft likes to provide.

My solution as it turns out was to run the tool on a machine that did NOT have office installed on it and I could download both 32 and 64 bit versions.  Apparently having 64 bit Office 2016 installed on my machine I tried to download and package the installer on was an issue.

Hope this helps anyone else finding this error if Trausti's suggestion doesn't help.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:07 PM