Reinstalling the photo app in Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a couple of questions, I hope someone can help.

We're just starting to move to Windows 10 and we have a remote user who can't open pictures with the Windows Photo App. He gets the message Invalid value for registry. It seems to work if you open the picture using another app like a web browser.

First question:

I read that you can fix it by uninstalling the photo app and then reinstalling it. I was able to uninstall it using the following command.

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

This worked fine but I have been unable to reinstall it. I tried using the following command but nothing happened - No messages, no errors, etc. The cursor just went to the next line. Is this the correct syntax? How does one reinstall the photo app?

Get-AppxPackage *windows.photos* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Second question. Is there a better way to fix an error like this?

Thanks.

Chris Hansen

Monday, December 21, 2015 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi The Hansenator,

The main issue is to reinstall the photo apps with a command line, right?

Please try the following command line:
    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_15.1208.10480.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"}

We could run "Get-AppXPackage" to check the all the apppackages information. Replace the file location with the one you want to reinstall.

Here is a command line to register all the store apps.

"Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by The Hansenator Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:13 AM

All replies

• Installing enterprise metro apps without using Microsoft Store

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/uk_faculty_connection/archive/2012/04/03/installing-enterprise-metro-apps-without-using-microsoft-store.aspx

How to Add and Remove Apps

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx

Add-AppxPackage

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh856048.aspx

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, December 21, 2015 10:57 PM
  • Hi The Hansenator,

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_15.1208.10480.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"}

We could run "Get-AppXPackage" to check the all the apppackages information. Replace the file location with the one you want to reinstall.

Here is a command line to register all the store apps.

"Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by The Hansenator Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:13 AM
  • Hi The Hansenator,

This is what I was looking for, thanks!

I had to adjust the path a little and then it worked like a charm.

If you're reinstalling the photo app in order to correct the registry entries, is it necessary to remove the it first or can you just run the install?

Chris Hansen

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:47 PM
  • This worked for me!  I had no problem uninstallng the Photos app, but it would not display the "get" button in the store.  Used this method and it works great now.  Thanks so much

April 25, 2017

• Edited by BrieSmith0228 Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:50 AM edited to add date
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:49 AM
  • Thanks..

Its working 100%

Monday, March 26, 2018 4:33 PM

Working Great 100% you can try this who want to reinstall apps in windows 10

Monday, March 26, 2018 4:38 PM