No Menu Bar on Microsoft Edge RRS feed

• Question

• I do not see any menu bar option in MS Edge (File, View etc.). Is there any plan to put it back?

As IT professional, I find the use of menu very efficient, especially memorizing all key-stroke to get to specific function.

Do I need to go back to ie. 11? Upgrade should not have taken out ie 11. 

Monday, August 3, 2015 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How about workaround this with "show Favorites bar"? You can click ... - settings and choose On under "Show the favorites bar".

When you adding a favorite site, choose Favorite Bar as "Save location".

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by exxplorer Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:50 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:59 AM

All replies

• Microsoft Edge will be improved... Remember that it's only the first version and you can use the Feedback app to propose this.

Anyway, Internet Explorer is still present if you prefer to use it...

You can find it in Start --> All Apps --> Windows Accessories and use Default Programs to use it as the default browser instead of Edge

Gerald

Monday, August 3, 2015 4:58 PM
  • Is there a reason for leaving the menu bar off of MS Edge? Or was this planned? Oversight?
    Monday, August 3, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

To me Edge is a "light explorer" without too many functions. The purpose is to "make it easier and quicker". I cannot confirm if more functions will be added but it will not be another kind of IE, so some functions may disappear from Edge. And as Gerald said, IE11 is still available if you prefer. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 5:08 AM
  • The problem with these functions disappearing is that it should never come at the price of UI causing a user more work to do the same things they could previously do.

The Favorites bar being an example it now takes me 4 clicks to do what used to take me 1 click. That isn't losing a feature that is losing functionality which is not good...

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:04 PM
  • Hi,

How about workaround this with "show Favorites bar"? You can click ... - settings and choose On under "Show the favorites bar".

When you adding a favorite site, choose Favorite Bar as "Save location".

• Proposed as answer by exxplorer Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:50 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:59 AM
  • Thanks... I didn't see that under settings... I was looking for a section to turn on all the toolbars...

That will work...
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:45 PM
  • I agree 100%. Something that is so basic. Why were these things removed in the first place? How does it make the Edge better? These items like the Menu Bar and the Tools Bar should be brought back in ASAP.

Raj Goyal

Thursday, August 13, 2015 11:55 PM
  • I also agree, but why should Microsoft be helpful. Each incarnation of Windows leaves something useful out. Why should Windows 10 along with Windows Edge be any different. Snobs will be snobs.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 4:06 PM
  • No that will not work, unless all you want is favorites and the favorite is a poor design
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:45 AM
  • I agree, Microsoft edge is not as great as we are being told. It might be great for a cell phone or someone just scrolling web pages killing time or for people playing, but if you want real work, it is very very limited. All these people saying how great it is sounds like Sec Kerry and Obama telling use how good the IRAN Deal is.

I Tried to get back to a web page the started playing music, but for the life of me I could not. Back arrows or forward arrows even the circle was dead. The only way was kill the whole browse then go back in.

You can try to tell us this is great but it seems we have a bunch of Bagdad Bob's out there. Please get some controls. 

So far this is the most confusing peace of software Microsoft as released, Even Windows 8.0 was easy compared to this.

If Microsoft wants to get market share back from Apple, Android,  Unix have devices running windows software this is not the way to go.

It Junk, so quit trying the say it great.

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:07 AM
  • I totally agree we need the Menu Bar back in Edge, why do we seem to have all this dis function every time

anything new comes out. Is it so hard to learn what users like about the browsers and the programs then trash them for no reason. I for one will not use Edge at all until the Menu Bar is re introduced.

PS A few answers here would do us all the world of good. If we are supposed to inform you people as to what works and what does'nt some feedback to us would be an encouragement

Aussieit

Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:33 AM
  •   Why use Edge it you don't like it? There are plenty of other browsers. I still use IE11.

Bill

Sunday, November 1, 2015 6:10 AM
  • I agree, i installed Firefox as my browser and it has the menu bar. Edge is way over rated I think.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:26 PM
  • Not sure why this was voted an answer, it isn't.  Favorites bar has nothing to do with the menu bar.....
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:30 AM
  • Thanks Gerald, see ya MS Edge.  I realize things take time to get adjusted to.  But with no menu bar, a lot of functions are lost.  I mean?  where is the print button for petes sake.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:32 AM
  • I, too, need the Menu bar for browsing.  I use Go To and Duplicate Tab the most, and they don't show up on any other browsers.

I've heard recently that Microsoft is planning to discontinue IE in favor of Edge.  Very dumb move.

GS

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hello everyone,

Sooner and later the IE11 will be abandoned. Microsoft Edge will be existed for next few years. Microsoft loves to dictate users to see pre-configured pages or sites. You can use other browsers instead to fill your flavors.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 5:36 PM
  • There is no answer to the where is the menu question, Microsoft decided you don't need it and we all know they knows better than you what you need.  I don't think it will be added back, as it has been almost a year now since Windows 10 was released and it is still not there.  The answer, just use IE is bogus, just try to set IE or chrome or fox as the default and you will be harassed to death with "which app do you really want to use", every time you click a link. Set the default back to Edge, no more questions.  The facts point to Microsoft wants you to use Edge and they do not care whether you like it or not.  Microsoft knows that you only have two choices Apple which is expensive and restrictive or Microsoft cheap.  Most pick Microsoft because it is cheap and therefore Microsoft does care what you think. 

Heil Microsoft

Richard Britt Jr

• Edited by SoggyBottomComputers.com Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by bugrit Friday, May 26, 2017 2:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bugrit Friday, May 26, 2017 2:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by bugrit Friday, May 26, 2017 2:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bugrit Friday, May 26, 2017 2:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by bugrit Friday, May 26, 2017 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:33 PM
  • I've been in the tech industry since 1988, completed all of the Microsoft Certifications, CCNE, JNCP, and PMP. All of which only guarantee a combination of certainties; I either test well, I have a level of knowledge, I have a bunch of issues documents that I can (and don't) hang on the wall, or that I can at least puke out a library of technical terminologies. And prior to Microsoft pulling all private Platinum Beta Test sights (pre MSDN - TechNet), I got anything (software wise) that I wanted from Microsoft.

All of that bs behind us, in theory I should be running down the middle of the Interstate carrying the banner and wearing head to toe Microsoft garb - but I don't. What I do is give fair and technically accurate assessments of old and new tech (hard or soft). I read all manner of "my browser is the fastest made" comments, that often look to be plagiarized from standard reviews. As soon as a fastest browser review comes out I read it and trash it, because 99 out of a 100 have an obvious slant or bias. They all look and function a bit differently, and my candid suggestion to anyone new or inexperienced to the computer world is this. Try the top 5ish, and which ever is easiest to use is the browser you should choose. The average person does not need the power functions of any browser, as their internet interaction is random browsing, a legacy favorites list of news sights, facebook, twitter, skype, pintrist, and a few other personally valuable trinkets. Not one of which needs a fast browser, or the power that comes with such a browser.

As to the missing Tool bar - I 100% agree that removing it was a horrible decision, and it's absence has not positive impact on Edge being faster. Not being able to quickly and easily View Source is a pain, and you've got to go the long way. The find function was an invaluable tool when on massive pages or sites. And for people who don't use keyboard shortcuts there are many other benefits. If I'm wrong about the load or impact, then put it in advanced options as a choice, and throw a pop up and tell people that there could be a negative impact on browser speed.

My browser preferences are as follows: Safari when I'm on a mobile Apple device. TOR when I want security over performance, Edge when I'm on my Microsoft desktop, and Firefox when I'm on my Mac. I'm not a Chrome fan, but then I don't care for most things Google (they have too much power and influence, when restricts technology advancements, and sways government to their bidding). Same could be said for Apple, as they got to big and influential, now they are suffering a 3 year technological drought.

For a while I was hoping that Next browser, but it seems to be on a slow to infinite development timeline. UC seems to be doing good things. But the one I want to see grow independently is CM Secure.

The choosing of your browser is akin to choosing a handgun. When you draw it do you get a good sight picture, and are you accurate down range. When it comes to Microsoft removing functionality to make a deadline - QUIT IT.
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:42 PM
  • nope.  Yes it is there to appear to select as default.  But it will not.  Edge really is a step back in browsers from my perspective as an IT professional.
    Monday, August 15, 2016 6:36 PM
  • I have 11 and edge doesn't have a menu bar with 11 either. I'm ready to go to a MAC. SICK OF MICROSOFT SINCE THEY LEFT XP IN THE DIRT. HAVE NOT CARED FOR MICROSOFT PRODUCT SINCE.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 12:35 AM
  • Favourite bar is not the same as the Menu bar.
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 10:17 AM
  • I would like to get back to IE 11, which is more user-friendly than all the rest.  But Yahoo says it's "unsupported", and an upgrade is nowhere to be found.  Will Microsoft just provide an upgrade to IE 11? Please! I tried MS Edge that came with Windows 10.  A lot of the useful features in IE 11 are now missing: the menu and toolbar, internet options, and "organize favorites" are gone.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 5:39 AM
  • The Favorites bar is still present in Edge, now called the Hub (top right, 3-line icon). Creating and getting Favorites is as easy in Edge as in IE 11.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 5:51 AM
  • not having a menu bar is such a show stopper for us middle aged gals using it for years and years.   i will go back to firefox.  While i see your point to "show your favorites bar" this is turned on for me, but i still see nothing! Instead what i see is an annoying message "add to the favorites bar by selecting or by getting them from another browser, import your favorites" so i did this and imported my favorites it says it's done but still see nothing... ! very frustrated over here.....
    • Proposed as answer by bugrit Friday, May 26, 2017 3:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bugrit Friday, May 26, 2017 3:03 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2016 3:06 PM
  • I totally agree with you and share your frustration.  Not being a computer geek, I don't understand any of the MS geek-speak.  All I know is that I am very dissatisfied with Windows 10 an totally frustrated with MS Edge.  Don't know if I will ever buy another computer, but if I do, it will not be an MS operating system. 
    • Edited by cobradoc Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:51 PM
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:50 PM
  • I agree. Don't take away what's working well.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:41 PM
  • I totally agree.  Whatever I do, I cannot get the Favorite bar to show.  I go to Settings and make sure I am toggled to show the Favorites Bar.  No use, still does not appear.  I have LastPass installed and it will not fill in any passwords in Edge.  Works fine in Firefox and Chrome.  Will not be using Edge.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 7:09 PM
  • "Will be improved" is not good enough. We were up to IE11 yet there is not enough wisdom gained to produce aa decent browser. If you don't like menus turn them off. Just don't make it not possible to have a menu for those who might prefer one. Please get new batteries for your crystal ball before writing any more software.
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:48 AM
  • I tried using it as it was reported (by MS) to be the latest and greatest like no other browser on earth. In addition it rejected viruses and worms. My IE11 seems to run slower and will no longer be updated (I suppose since we have a replacement that needs no fixing!) and the replacement is here.
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:53 AM
  • The menu bar gave us the option to print and save ect. the favorites does not give them options. I would prefer having the menu bar back as I have not noticed the menu bar slowing anything down.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:11 AM
  • How about the good old standby?  Such as,

"CONTROL B"

then a place to put the bookmarks should appear.  The trouble with ALL the icons, when they first appear, NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY STAND FOR.  With a menu, you can READ the word and click it, the only time that this goes wrong is when you get a twitch in your hand/arm.

Friday, May 26, 2017 2:34 PM
  • It would be nice if people knew it said settings?

Friday, May 26, 2017 2:35 PM
  • Any browser except IE (any number)
    Friday, May 26, 2017 2:38 PM
  • It could do?
    Friday, May 26, 2017 2:39 PM
  • "Control P" could do it???  but knowing Microsoft, that wouldn't work either.
    Friday, May 26, 2017 2:40 PM
  • totally the wrong move.  ONE WAY street the wrong way comes to mind.
    Friday, May 26, 2017 2:42 PM
  • BING has hijacked ALL of my search engines, I type something into google (my home page), but when firefox has finished loading the results, the stupid blue "b" is always there.  It's about time EVERYBODY stopped this hijacking malarkey.  All it does is wind people up.
    Friday, May 26, 2017 2:51 PM
  • We have a relevant saying in the UK, it is:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.  NUFF SAID.

Friday, May 26, 2017 2:56 PM
  • THIS IS MICROSOFT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.  What can you expect.  They're not bothered about ordinary punters, they just say "GIMME THE MONEY".
    Friday, May 26, 2017 2:59 PM
  • It is IF you know what the squiggles mean?????
    Friday, May 26, 2017 3:01 PM
  • It's the same for us 68 year old men too.
    Friday, May 26, 2017 3:05 PM
  • LINUX is a good replacement
    Friday, May 26, 2017 3:05 PM
  • How about a BOOKMARKS BAR too?
    Friday, May 26, 2017 3:07 PM
  • It's been over 20 months and we've received many updates and no command or menu bar. Do you still believe Microsoft will improve Edge? Or the way favorites are copied over? Or the way they install updates no matter how you schedule them? Very disappointing...

Joe in Austin, TX 

Sunday, July 2, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Why is Microsoft ignoring a simple request? All people are asking for is there their trusted Menu Bar! We don't want to go to "Favorites" and fool around there. 

Bring back the Menu Bar please.

Friday, July 14, 2017 1:32 PM
  • This is the reason I go back to using IE over any other browser. The menu tabs are important to use. The feature is missing on all other browsers except IE. Why would you eliminate those tabs? I Find them all useful. File, Edit, View, Tool, Internet Option, Page Set UP, Print Preview, Sizing and Etc. You have to go into their drop down menu or setting to get to the little that is offer. Why break something that doesn't  need to be fixed. I want my features back. I tried to use the other browser but go back to IE. I make sure I have a that window included and minimized when using other browsers. It is a pain to go back and forward because of a missing feature. I want my tabs back on top in the left corner to click on them when I need to.  Along with some other tabs on the right side top. I don't want have to work to get to all the tabs I am use to using. I do like some of the edge features when clicking on the task bar the tabs are all grouped and displayed. It would be so likeable and more people would prefer this new browser if you incorporated all the regular original menu buttons from IE. This is the only reason I don't care to use it and the many times it took to long to open this browser.
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:59 PM
  • AGREE!
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Somwhow Edge launched after a Windows Update.

I still don't see any edge development.
    Menu bar missing
    The tap bar cannot be moved below the favourites bar.
    Too many floating menus.

At almost every Microsoft Application you can customize the menus.
    Just not at this browser.

I continue to stay away from Edge while working with none Microsoft browsers.

Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:32 PM
  • I have the Favorites Bar.  I want to know about the MENU Bar.  It is now Aug 2017.  I don't see any improvements.

lap39

Sunday, August 6, 2017 10:38 PM
  • Hello   all   I agree with Ray. 

Edge menus are not friendly.    I am retired tech and now a hobbyist.

However this has nothing to due with my skills……  I am Left handed!   This dam this is set up for a right handed person (no offence).     Menus at the top or on the left…..  Firefox lives.

Don Keeley

Friday, December 1, 2017 10:43 PM
  • Another Vote for the Menu Bar.

I Learn More When Things Go Wrong...

Sunday, January 7, 2018 5:31 AM