exchange and reverse DNS/PTR record RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

So I migrated my exchange server to another server, but I'm having an issue with sending mail to specific domains, so I figured it's a reverse DNS issue.

I tried telnetting into the mx record of one of the domains that I cannot send mail to and sure enough I receiving a message saying I do not have a PTR record set up. (but I do)

I have 2 mail relay servers, my MX records point to them. When I do a reverse DNS lookup on both of them, it shows that my PTR records are set up, I also confirmed with my ISP that they are set up.

So I logged in to my old exchange server that is still in coexistence with the new one and tried telnetting to the mx record of one of the domains that I cannot send mail to, and I was able to do that successfully (whereas on the new server, I am getting the PTR doesn't exist message)

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:31 PM

Answers

• Well, when you telnet to the server, that isnt necessarily the same as the message flow outbound.

In other words, does the old Exchange Server have a PTR record defined and/or NATed on the Firewall  for it in external DNS and the new one does not? It sounds like you are smarthosting to those SMTP gateways yes? If so, are you sure the new Exchange server is sending mail though those outbound SMTP relays?

Twitter!:

• Proposed as answer by ZA85 Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, February 25, 2013 2:18 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 8:21 PM

All replies

• Did you check via the online tools such as :

http://mxtoolbox.com/ReverseLookup.aspx

Twitter!:

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Sure did, I used both mxtoolbox, nslookup and my ISP to confirm that PTR records exist.

It's just that the old server can telnet to the specified domain's mx, but the new server can't (getting a message saying a PTR record doesn't exist) and I don't see how this is related to the exchange servers, cause my PTR records point to my relay servers.

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Well, when you telnet to the server, that isnt necessarily the same as the message flow outbound.

In other words, does the old Exchange Server have a PTR record defined and/or NATed on the Firewall  for it in external DNS and the new one does not? It sounds like you are smarthosting to those SMTP gateways yes? If so, are you sure the new Exchange server is sending mail though those outbound SMTP relays?

Twitter!:

• Proposed as answer by ZA85 Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, February 25, 2013 2:18 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 8:21 PM
  • You may wish to check on your email Internet header to see your email going out with your MX record IP or not.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:28 AM