none
Rebuilding Health Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to rebuild healthmailboxes in exchange 2013? In an effort to control the gobs of mail that these mailboxes have, I created a retention policy and applied it to all the heathmailboxes using the cmdlet:

Get-Mailbox -monitoring | Set-Mailbox -RetentionPolicy "Health Mailbox Retention Policy'

That policy deletes all mail older then 2 days.

The command worked but had a weird side effect, now all the HealthMailboxes show in the ECP recipients list as well as the GAL.

I did some research and discovered that the RecipeientType parameter of all the HealthMailboxes got changed to "UserMailbox" when I ran the above command.

The odd thing, when I go to try and fix the box by setting the propoerties back, (both the RetentionPolicy and the RecipientType), I'm now getting an error that says those properties are Read-Only now. Odd how setting the retention policy seemed to "break" the mailboxes. By "break", I mean lock out any more configuration changes and list the healthmailboxes in the GAL.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know to to fix or repair these mailboxes? Microsoft's documentation on healthmailboxes is non-existent... other then saying they monitor your mailbox databases.

---Trent W.

• Edited by Talmen Monday, February 18, 2013 4:44 PM Grammar Edit
    Monday, February 18, 2013 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I haven't experienced this myself but I probably would if I hadn't read Tony Redmonds blog post about this problem.
    See: Applying a retention policy to control Exchange 2013 Health Mailboxes (or trying to, anyway)

It doesn't seem to be a resolution for this yet, but if the below exchange attributes changed on the Monitoring Mailboxes, see if changing them back in Attribute Editor helps.

msExchRecipientDisplayType: <not set>
    msExchRecipientTypeDetails: 549755813888

...and when done, it might also be a good idea to run Update-GlobalAddressList Default*

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Talmen Monday, February 18, 2013 5:45 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I haven't experienced this myself but I probably would if I hadn't read Tony Redmonds blog post about this problem.
    See: Applying a retention policy to control Exchange 2013 Health Mailboxes (or trying to, anyway)

It doesn't seem to be a resolution for this yet, but if the below exchange attributes changed on the Monitoring Mailboxes, see if changing them back in Attribute Editor helps.

...and when done, it might also be a good idea to run Update-GlobalAddressList Default*

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Talmen Monday, February 18, 2013 5:45 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Hi,

Martina Miskovic

Wow, thank you so much! That did it. Still curious as to why setting a retention policy flipped other attributes on the mailbox.

Verified that the health mailboxes no longer appear in the ECP as well as the GAL.

This also made the mailboxes keep the retention policies so maybe the items in the healthmailboxes will be at a more reasonable level.

I'm marking your response as an answer.

• Proposed as answer by v.boots Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:57 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Wow, thank you so much! That did it. Still curious as to why setting a retention policy flipped other attributes on the mailbox.

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

I don't have any more information about the Monitoring Mailboxes than you do, but I really hope to see some documentation on them soon and how to deal with the thousands of emails stored in those mailboxes.

Martina Miskovic

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:53 PM