FTPS / SFTP / HTTPS file transfer via ie7 or later RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to make an agnostic transfer site that does not require the outside user to have a client of any kind. We would like it to work via browser, IE preferably, since that is the most widely proliferated browser. Both Chrome and Firefox have add-ons, but we're trying to avoid that.

Does anyone know of native support for sftp? We have sites up right now that run that on linux. There is also the ftps solution that is native to iis/ftp.

But is there a way of setting up a secure directory in iis7 (7.5?) that would allow someone to browse and transfer a file using https. This would interdict people from seeing the contents of the directory, but could still place files there.

TIA,

Steve Wasser

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:46 PM

Answers

• Sorry Digriz.... I'm a PC development fellow.... sounds sorta like WebDAV is a solution for you...

http://www.webdav.org/other/faq.html#Q19

Since DAV works over HTTP, you get all the   benefits of HTTP that FTP cannot provide. For example:   strong authentication, encryption, proxy support, and   caching. It is true that you can get some of this through   SSH, but the HTTP infrastructure is much more widely   deployed than SSH. Further, SSH does not have the wide   complement of tools, development libraries, and applications   that HTTP does.

DAV transfers (well, HTTP transfers) are also more efficient   than FTP. You can pipeline multiple transfers through a   single TCP connection, whereas FTP requires a new connection   for each file transferred (plus the control connection).

I am sure that there would IIS API's to dynamically manage it.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:56 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the FTP(s) console is under the IIS6 console on windows server versions 2008 and higher.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Sorry, I wasn't clear. I know an FTP site can be set up there, but is there native support for IE to get to a secure FTP site. Or, what the proper formation of the URL should be to get there. We tried on SSH with using :22 appended, but it didn't go.

So we thought about using IE to get to an IIS FTPS site and that didn't seem to fly either. I use Filezilla, and it sort of works with FTPS, but there is some wrangling to do. In any case, we wanted to make it as easy to use with a browser, assuming most people aren't tech savvy enough to know about different clients and setups.

Thanks!

Steve

Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Sorry Digriz.... I'm a PC development fellow.... sounds sorta like WebDAV is a solution for you...

http://www.webdav.org/other/faq.html#Q19

Since DAV works over HTTP, you get all the   benefits of HTTP that FTP cannot provide. For example:   strong authentication, encryption, proxy support, and   caching. It is true that you can get some of this through   SSH, but the HTTP infrastructure is much more widely   deployed than SSH. Further, SSH does not have the wide   complement of tools, development libraries, and applications   that HTTP does.

DAV transfers (well, HTTP transfers) are also more efficient   than FTP. You can pipeline multiple transfers through a   single TCP connection, whereas FTP requires a new connection   for each file transferred (plus the control connection).

I am sure that there would IIS API's to dynamically manage it.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:56 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 6:38 AM