Manually decrypt world file. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a encrypted document, I know the password. However, After I forgot my windows user password, so I needed to change it, I used the "net user User *" command from cmd. But now the file will not open, assuming because the link to my user has been broken. How to I decrypt or re-establish this link?
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 3:08 AM

Answers

• If you have a document encrypted in Word and you know the password then, providing you can access the document, it can be opened in Word. It has no links to anything.

If you have encrypted the document some other way or have it on an NTFS-encrypted volume (which seems more likely from what you say) then I suggest you ask in an appropriate Windows forum, because Word can't do anything at that level.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:27 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:51 AM

All replies

• If you have a document encrypted in Word and you know the password then, providing you can access the document, it can be opened in Word. It has no links to anything.

If you have encrypted the document some other way or have it on an NTFS-encrypted volume (which seems more likely from what you say) then I suggest you ask in an appropriate Windows forum, because Word can't do anything at that level.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:27 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:51 AM
  • No,  I cannot decrypt it with word,  even though I encrypted it with word.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:00 PM
  • All you need to decrypt a document is the document itself and the password (well, strictly, you also need the encryption provider but if that were going to be an issue I doubt very much that you would have asked the original question).

So, if Word won't decrypt it, something is wrong with either the document or the password. What happens when you try?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:21 AM
  • When I open the file in word,  It throws a generic "Could Not Open File" error,  If I try to decrypt the file with Windows,  It gives a permission error.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 11:42 PM
  • A generic error message, without asking for the password, means Word isn't finding anything it can understand, let alone decrypt. Perhaps the file is corrupt.

Sorry, but I know nothing of Windows decryption. Permissions errors can be a pain, and I have never fully understood them, but I have found that perseverance going through the myriad dialogs usually pays off.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Hello Ian,

Have you enable the BitLocker Drive Encryption?

Is there any other file in the same situation?

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Hi ecnepsnai,

You don't need to decrypt the word doc if you know the password. Why not simply copy the data from the encrypted word file and paste it into a fresh one..??

It worked for me.

Thanks,

Vidys

Monday, March 19, 2012 12:10 PM
  • If the document has been encrypted, how could you be able to open it to copy the content without password?
    Monday, March 19, 2012 12:28 PM