none
When will Search Server Express 2013 be released?

Question

• Hi.

Simple question: does anyone happen to know if search server 2013 will have an express version and when its expected release date is?

Monday, July 30, 2012 2:38 PM

Answers

• I doubt there will be any replacement. All solutions are now enterprise level. On Premise that means Enterprise SharePoint with Enterprise Search. For SMB the option will be Office 365 all in the cloud. I doubt that much emphasis will be provided for any SharePoint Foundation 2013 products.

Hopefully I am wrong but I doubt there is any benefit to Microsoft in providing Search Server Express any more.

Thanks Robert Crane [MVP-Office365] www.ciaops.com

• Marked as answer by Ronald Schilf Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:56 AM
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:37 AM

All replies

• My understanding is that there will not be a Search Server Express 2013 as the SharePoint search model is being changes quite significantly.

• Proposed as answer by Pradeep Hegde Saturday, November 03, 2012 2:07 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Thanks. Sorry for returning that late, simply forgot it :(

I wonder what free product will MS offer instead when support for SSE2010 will run out some day. Any info about plans available?
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:41 AM
  • I doubt there will be any replacement. All solutions are now enterprise level. On Premise that means Enterprise SharePoint with Enterprise Search. For SMB the option will be Office 365 all in the cloud. I doubt that much emphasis will be provided for any SharePoint Foundation 2013 products.

Hopefully I am wrong but I doubt there is any benefit to Microsoft in providing Search Server Express any more.

• Marked as answer by Ronald Schilf Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:56 AM
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Thanks.
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Hi!

As of this link, providing information about changes in SharePoint 2013 from 2010, it seems like all the search functionality are availible in SharePoint Foundation 2013. Scroll down about one third of text to "SharePoint Foundation 2010 deprecated search features"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607742(v=office.15).aspx#section1

A Quota from the page

"The search capabilities of SharePoint Foundation 2013 have changed, and are now based on the same search implementation as SharePoint Server. This provides many improvements, but also means that the search configuration is very different."

I only have the Server Version of 2013 so far. Anyone tried the search in SharePoint Foundation 2013 and can confirm if you have the same functionality as in Server, or if there are some things missing?

• Proposed as answer by AlexanderZirl Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:40 PM
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Good to know, Marcus. Have not tried foundation yet, will do sometime in the future. Thanks.
    Monday, November 05, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Yes, Markus is right. As far as I have seen, SharePoint foundation 2013 has a lot more features than foundation 2010. even the managed properties, refinements on the left and the like are included. I have read that it is possible to hook up Office web apps for the previews, because reading is free, just editing documents via Office web apps is to be paid. Hence, I would say it does not make sense to release a separate search server express, since all the stuff (and more) you know from search server express 2010 is included in foundation 2013. I believe that is great, especially for SMEs.

ECSpand Services for your SharePoint - Find out more at www.ecspand.com

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Basically what you will find is that SharePoint foundation 2013 already includes search server express now built in. Thus, there is no need for an additional product. In fact it includes native indexing of PDFs now even without ifilters. Beware though, office web apps must live on separate hardware in SharePoint 2013 it must have its own dedicated server.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Search Server Express 2010 is my last W2K8 machine.  I'm tasked with getting it updated.  SSE cannot be installed on Server 2016 as it demand the Application Server Role which no longer exists.  So SSE is now completely dead.

We used it to index PDF files (scanned in by copiers) and this was our entire document solution (upgraded from Ricoh eCabinet).  So based on this thread, if we want to continue to use Microsoft's search engine, we have to buy, install and maintain Sharepoint 2016 so we can search PDFs with a web interface?  That's insane.

So basically Microsoft has thumbed their nose at small businesses and is telling us to go find something else.
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:56 PM
  • Hi JEmlay, yes, it looks like you're right. Best solution might be to go online, I.e. SharePoint online or look for something else. If you need some directions, mail me at Alexander.zirl@d-velop.de

ECSpand Services for your SharePoint - Find out more at www.ecspand.com

Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:29 PM