Question

• SharePoint 2013 Issue with Org Chart 

Problem:

User performs a People Search

Goes to a Person’s Profile

Sees the Org Chart

Navigates to their own Profile via the Org Chart

Profile page does not display the Org Chart web part

But Org Chart web part displays on everyone else’s Profile Page.

Why is this and how can we fix it?

Thanks in advance

Friday, February 01, 2013 2:28 PM

All replies

• I am seeing the exact same behavior. This must be a bug as I can't imagine this being the intended behavior.  Is anyone else seeing this or know how to fix it?
    Monday, February 18, 2013 8:37 PM
  • We also have the same problem and would like to know the answer when found.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Same problem on our environment. If you have any updates, please post here. Thanks
    Friday, March 15, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Thanks for your interest in SharePoint 2013.  We did in fact make an intentional change to hide the Org Chart web part when viewing your own profile.  Fetching org data adds extra time before the page can be completely loaded, and we concluded that in the case of viewing your own profile, the benefit you get from seeing your own place in the org chart isn't worth the extra time it takes to load your profile page.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Is it possible to add that web part to a separate page and link it?
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Jeremy,

Thanks for responding to my post!

Is it possible for us to change that behavior? When people migrate from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, they think it is broken because suddenly they lost functionality they had. It is somewhat inconvienent to have to go to someone elses profile to see the org chart.

Thanks!

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:12 PM
  • As Jeremy had mentioned it's by design behavior.  Check this post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chandru/archive/2013/04/01/sp15-organization-chart-in-mysites.aspx

Chandrasekar Natarajan

Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Older post, but we are just now looking at 2013.

I chuckled out load when I read the reasoning behind your decision to auto hide the Org Chart on personal profile pages.

To show or not to show should be our choice. It wouldn't be the first time a performance benefit was sacrificed for additional, usable information.

As a programmer (since mid 70's), your reasoning completely escapes me. It, in fact, creates a disconnect.

Please consider remedying this in a future patch.

Work Hard! Play Harder!!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:58 PM
  • I agree that it should be there to have a unique user experience.

But there is a work around, another webpart called "Organization Browser" gives similar output. If you remove default one and add this. It will appear on every user's profile page.

You need to edit its properties so it does not render in silverlight:

under "Default Values"

check "Only show HTML view"

This will produce roughly the same output as default "Org Chart"

Cheers

Akbar

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hi 

I am seeing some really inconsistent behaviour with this. I was setting up the manager / team hierarchy yesterday and straight way when  I clicked on the director's profile page

However, this now not working. I spent a few hours trawling through the ULS logs and fixing anything that looked like an exception but still no luck

Ok, plan B I add the org browser to a team page and test with me. I added the workaround fix code to the embed code ( under the org web part) - Org chart workaround

- perfect I am above my BI consultant who for test purposes "I manage" - this issue here I want to render more info such as email and phone number here.

Now the weird bit, I tested the same page on some of the new users for the team site and 

Oh great ... no looking at permissions including IE settings....

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:22 PM
  • I have this problem too.

The organisational browser looks fine in html view

However it's hit and miss in silverlight, some times it won't load, some times it loads off centre, some time it looks like it is blank but when you scroll up the information is there, and some times half the picture/info is showing

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Friday, June 26, 2015 12:10 PM