none
managed metadata column vs dropdown column RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Can someone clarify me what is the difference between Managed Metadata Column vs Dropdown Column in a SharePoint 2010 List?

Both are same? if so, why MMC is introduced?

Thanks

Like Cricket

Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:43 PM

Answers

• I'm assuming your "dropdown column" is a Choice column.

There are several ways of giving a user a "choice":

• A Choice column
    • A Lookup column
    • A Managed Metadata column
    • Business Connectivity Services (BCS)
    • A dropdown list defined in an InfoPath form

A Choice column is a manually created list of options. If you need the same list in 10 different lists you will need to enter the choices 10 times. If you need to add one more choice you will need to edit 10 different lists/columns.

A Lookup column lets the user select from a list of choices stored in a separate list. If you have 10 different lists in a site they can all have a Lookup column referencing the same list of choices. If you need to add one more choice you only need to edit the list of choices, not all 10 lists/columns. The restriction for Lookups is that the lookup only works within a single site. You cannot "lookup" into a list in another site or site collection.

The data for Managed Metadata is stored in a central location in the SharePoint farm and is available to every web application, Site Collection and Site (with proper setup and permissions). The "choices" are entered and updated in one place. You can have many lists "lookup" data from this single source. (Also, this managed metadata is typically a subset of the organization's formal taxonomy and not just a list of options invented by the site owner.)

BCS would be used when the data is stored and maintained outside of SharePoint; for example in a SQL database.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com my SP customization book

Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:00 PM

All replies

• I'm assuming your "dropdown column" is a Choice column.

There are several ways of giving a user a "choice":

• A Choice column
    • A Lookup column
    • A Managed Metadata column
    • Business Connectivity Services (BCS)
    • A dropdown list defined in an InfoPath form

A Choice column is a manually created list of options. If you need the same list in 10 different lists you will need to enter the choices 10 times. If you need to add one more choice you will need to edit 10 different lists/columns.

A Lookup column lets the user select from a list of choices stored in a separate list. If you have 10 different lists in a site they can all have a Lookup column referencing the same list of choices. If you need to add one more choice you only need to edit the list of choices, not all 10 lists/columns. The restriction for Lookups is that the lookup only works within a single site. You cannot "lookup" into a list in another site or site collection.

The data for Managed Metadata is stored in a central location in the SharePoint farm and is available to every web application, Site Collection and Site (with proper setup and permissions). The "choices" are entered and updated in one place. You can have many lists "lookup" data from this single source. (Also, this managed metadata is typically a subset of the organization's formal taxonomy and not just a list of options invented by the site owner.)

BCS would be used when the data is stored and maintained outside of SharePoint; for example in a SQL database.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com my SP customization book

Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Thank you Mike for the value suggestions .I would like to add a point here.

Displaying maximum (suppose 300) choices in a Choice Column becomes cumbersome .Such kind of things can be overcome by using MMCs

Like Cricket

Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:17 PM