none
ADMP - No alerts

Question

• Hi,

I have SCOM 2012 running. I will be using SCOM to monitor Domain Controllers (W2K3 SP2). Presently all DCs are being monitored with MOM 2000.

I have uninstalled the MOM 2000 agent on the DCs.

I installed the Active Directory Management Pack in SCOM 2012.

Next I installed the SCOM Agent on the DCs from the Operations Manager Console. All Agents running under the Local System account.

I have noticed that quite a few Alerts are not reported to the console. For example, Event ID: 1419 Directory service: The local domain controller is both a global catalog and the infrastructure operations master = Alert: DC is both a global Catalog . . . . . .

Does this have to do with the fact that I installed the ADMP, THEN the agents on the DCs? Reading the ADMP documentation mentions that I should verify that all Agents are installed before importingt the ADMP. I find this rather annoying as I have over 500 DCs and I would need to install all 500 Agents before I install the ADMP. As this takes time, it means my DCs will not be monitored for several days.

How can I correct this without having to re-install the SCOM environment? Would it be enough to simply delete the ADMP and reinstall it after all DCs have the Agent installed? Woud I need to wait a specific amount of time after the removal of ADMP before reinstalling it so that all Agents are aware of it being removd?

Anyone have any suggestions?

dave

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:40 PM

All replies

• hi Dave,

I don't think it has anything to do with the order. This particular alert is generated because the DC which is holding the Infrastructure Master FSMO role is also a Global catalog. I'm not an AD engineer, but I believe Infrastructure Master cannot be configured as Global Catalog server, unless ALL of your DCs are configured as Global Catalog.

Please check below articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223346/en-us

http://msmvps.com/blogs/ulfbsimonweidner/archive/2005/03/08/37975.aspx

Friday, February 22, 2013 1:02 PM
  • hi Tao,

All DCs are configured as GLobal Catalog.

Event 1419 is present in the Directory Service event log and thus I should be receiving an Alert.

dave

Friday, February 22, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Are you talking about this rule? "DC is both a Global Catalog and the Infrastructure Update master"

If all your DCs are Global Catalog and it is not an issue, I'd suggest you to disable this rule via an override.

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:18 PM
  • This I know !

I am asking why I do not receive an Alert.

dave

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Step 1: We need to find which Rule is configured to monitor Event id: 1419. (By using some Issu related text, you can find the Rule and can check the ule configuration)

Step 2: If you have found the Rule, check if the Rule is "Enabled" and ALSO check if "Alert Generation" is also enabled. Check box should be enabled in Rule Properties.

Once these two are verified, try to trigger an Event 1419 in Event Viewer and see if you receive alerts.

Note: For few Rules and Monitors, it is not mandatory that it will be configured for Alerting though it is Enabled.

Regards, Suresh

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:15 AM