none
Virtual Machine Manager 2007 Workgroup Edition - Questions

Question

•  

I currently have System Center 2007 Essentials.

I am interested in Virtual Machine Manager 2007 Workgroup Edition

I am planning on having 4 Host that I will need to manage with around 18 virtual server across the 4 Host.

I am unable to find out any information about how  the Workgroup edition will work with Essentials other then it only suppots 5 host.  Here are some of my questions.

How does Reporting work?     Will I point it to my System Center Essentials machine because the Web only mentions Operations Manager 2007  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb740969.aspx.    

Since System Center 2007 Essentials is base on OSE model but the Virtual Machine Manager Workgroup Edition is based on a Host Model how do I reconcile the two. 

Since Virtual Machine Manager 2007 requires Operations Manager 2007 to run because it is a plug-in, will the Virtual Machine Manager 2007 Workgroup Edition have a special install of Operations Manager 2007 that will allow me to report on ALL 18 of my Virtual Servers and basiclly make it so that I do not need the System Center 2007 Essentials.

I would have been nice for Microsoft to provide a little more documentation then "It will allow management of 5 host" due to the nature of how all of the software is setup in a stack.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:49 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Sam,

So the first part of your question is referring to SCVMM: Workgroup Edition.  The only thing about this is that you will only be able to have 5 hosts.  A host is any machine that has Virtual Server on it that can host "guest" machines.  Based on this you will need to think about your future growth.  If virtualization will grow in your organization getting Workgroup now may end up costing more later (replacing existing boxes with bigger, etc).

I do not know alot of System Center Essentials, but from what I can ascertain it appears to be kind of and Operations Manager and a Configurations Manager all rolled into one box.  That being said...  You should have no problem reporting on your VMM environment as long as you have installed the "Server Virtualization Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007" which you can find in the links below.

Reporting for both System Center Operations Manager and System Center Essentials both function the same, by relying on SQL Server Reporting Services for the reporting.

SCVMM does not require Operations Manager to function, that is only for the Reporting aspect of the product, also this requirement should be fulfilled by System Center Essentials (since it is basically OM and CM).

Another thing is that you are not going to install the SCE/OM agents on all of the Guests that you have running on your hosts and report on them that way.  You will simply install the agent on the VMM server to pull VMM data.  Then in addition to that if you want reporting on all the Virtual Host Servers as well then you would install it on your 5 hosts.  But not all of your VMs will have it installed (only if it is something you want to pull more specific information on like exchange, sql, etc).

As to the lack of documentation with this product you are 100% correct there is very little documentation on this product, but this is simply because this product is a 1.0 in other words brand new.  Any software company is going to have weak documentation on a 1.0 product, but when the new version comes out (beta starts soon) the documentation will start to fall together and make sense to people who have not had any experience with the product.

I have also included a link at the bottom to the System Center Essentials Forum.  They will be much better versed in this and you may want to post there for a more detailed explanation...

Server Virtualization Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=27342759-e9d6-4073-918c-e9dff77d0206&DisplayLang=en&hash=b2zUpSGA%2fKhcrNwGLALD2zp6J%2bt6rVtdKLBsR%2bTuILDJrJRp7BWEsv4JvmerHLNo1OCGTjRvpuPKx01DO3UmjQ%3d%3d#filelist

System Center Essentials Forum:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1558&SiteID=17

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:14 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Sam,

So the first part of your question is referring to SCVMM: Workgroup Edition.  The only thing about this is that you will only be able to have 5 hosts.  A host is any machine that has Virtual Server on it that can host "guest" machines.  Based on this you will need to think about your future growth.  If virtualization will grow in your organization getting Workgroup now may end up costing more later (replacing existing boxes with bigger, etc).

I do not know alot of System Center Essentials, but from what I can ascertain it appears to be kind of and Operations Manager and a Configurations Manager all rolled into one box.  That being said...  You should have no problem reporting on your VMM environment as long as you have installed the "Server Virtualization Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007" which you can find in the links below.

Reporting for both System Center Operations Manager and System Center Essentials both function the same, by relying on SQL Server Reporting Services for the reporting.

SCVMM does not require Operations Manager to function, that is only for the Reporting aspect of the product, also this requirement should be fulfilled by System Center Essentials (since it is basically OM and CM).

Another thing is that you are not going to install the SCE/OM agents on all of the Guests that you have running on your hosts and report on them that way.  You will simply install the agent on the VMM server to pull VMM data.  Then in addition to that if you want reporting on all the Virtual Host Servers as well then you would install it on your 5 hosts.  But not all of your VMs will have it installed (only if it is something you want to pull more specific information on like exchange, sql, etc).

As to the lack of documentation with this product you are 100% correct there is very little documentation on this product, but this is simply because this product is a 1.0 in other words brand new.  Any software company is going to have weak documentation on a 1.0 product, but when the new version comes out (beta starts soon) the documentation will start to fall together and make sense to people who have not had any experience with the product.

I have also included a link at the bottom to the System Center Essentials Forum.  They will be much better versed in this and you may want to post there for a more detailed explanation...

Server Virtualization Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=27342759-e9d6-4073-918c-e9dff77d0206&DisplayLang=en&hash=b2zUpSGA%2fKhcrNwGLALD2zp6J%2bt6rVtdKLBsR%2bTuILDJrJRp7BWEsv4JvmerHLNo1OCGTjRvpuPKx01DO3UmjQ%3d%3d#filelist

System Center Essentials Forum:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1558&SiteID=17

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Thanks for the comments. I just posted in the System Center Essentials Group.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3094332&SiteID=17

Sam Brooks

Monday, March 31, 2008 10:53 PM