Blue Screen Reboot Loop, 0x00000024 Error Message RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, just today, my PC froze during an ( online ) video game. Ctrl alt del didn't work nor alt tab so I turned off by the power button and restarted.

Now I get a constant restart after the windows screen, after a bit of googling ( not tech savvy at all lol ) I found out how to stop it to see what the blue screen said, it is a 0x00000024 error with the message

"Disable or uninstall any anti-virus , disk fragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for and updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer."

I only know how to do half of those things anyway, but I can't get past the windows screen to do them even in the safe modes.

I have no windows XP disc, btw, so if there is a way to sort this without, that would be much preferred, but if I need one, how much are they to come by roughly, in the UK, anyone?

I only got home today after a week away. Any help, pretty please : ) ?

• Edited by Philotas Friday, May 11, 2012 4:23 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies

• STOP: 0x00000024 NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

In most cases STOP: 0x00000024 error goes together with NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error code which  points to a problem with in ntfs.sys file, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS drives.

These are the most common causes for STOP: 0x00000024:

• Driver conflicts
    • NTFS file system damage
    • damaged SCSI or IDE drivers
    • damaged portions of your hard disk
    • file system driver Ntfs.sys incorrectly accesses the invalid volume control block (VCB) that is being unmounted

If you cannot resolve it based on any of the information, then I suggest you boot from the install and select a Repair install when you are almost to the end of the install screen and prompts.  Do not select Repair at the first screen that has that option.  You will not lose any data or installed programs using the XP repair install.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Hmm, I'm really not good with these things. I would need an XP disc to do a repair right? I don't have one unfortunately.

Another user suggested an XP SP2 trial;

[Unauthorized software]

would be enough to boot, get in and resolve the issue, without having to get a new disc. What do you think? I will need to wait till tomorrow to try it though, this PC has no drive to burn a disc with the xp thing on it. 

What do you think, anyone? Thanks in advance : )

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:37 PM
  • The use of any unauthorized copy of Windows XP will render your current system as invalid and may deny you access to the system.

The best approach is to use a genuine Microsoft disc with Windows XP w/SP3.  It will also need to be the same type, Retail or OEM, as your current installation.

Just getting into the system may not allow you to affect what ever actions you are thinking of doing.

A Repair Install will fix the system and install or replace any missing or corrupted system files.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:47 PM
  • I agree, if I had the funds at the mo I would absolutely just go and get a genuine XP disc, for future use as well, but I don't see me being able to buy one for a few weeks at least : ( So this is kinda my only hope at the moment.

I'm told it should be alright as I'm not using it to install XP altogether, just to boot from, or get into the recovery console? It's a 120 day trial version, SP2.

It's been suggested I boot from the disc to enter the recovery console, use FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands, and if I can get it to boot after, use CHKDSK /R  so that's the plan at the mo. A little concerned that it's SP2 when my own is SP3 though, hoping it will be ok, can't hurt to try, can it lol ?

Thank you for your replies so far : )

• Edited by Philotas Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:57 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:55 PM