none
"Remote Desktop connection has stopped working." problem in Windows 7 RRS feed

  • Question

  • When I try to connect to any of my Windows 2003 Servers from my Windows 7 Ultimate pc I get an error:
    "Remote Desktop connection has stopped working". It has something to do with the NLAapi.dll. If I rename this dll, TS works fine. I used the dll from another computer running Windows 7 RC and it also works, but in either one of these two cases, while it fixes the TS connection, it causes other errors, maily with the Network and Sharing center. Long story short, I think there is a bug with nlaapi.dll. I can connect fine to the servers from my Windows XP SP3 boxes. I ran all the updates on my 2k3 box, but still does not work.

    Here is the log from the Event Viewer:

    Faulting application name: mstsc.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bce80
    Faulting module name: NLAapi.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfc9
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000c138
    Faulting process id: 0xf90
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca55cc39bf05f0
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\mstsc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\NLAapi.dll
    Report Id: 7772b4f0-c1bf-11de-bfa2-001d60a28de8
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:09 AM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Dekopolis,

     

    I suggest you try System File Checker to repair the system files.

     

    If it does not work, I suggest you replace the NLAapi.dll file after renaming the old one. I have uploaded them to SkyDrive, you may download them directly.

     

    NLAapi.dll for Windows 7 32-bit

    NLAapi.dll for Windows 7 64-bit

     

    Good luck!

     

     

     


    Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:35 AM
    Moderator
  • I know this is an old thread but am having same issue and struggling to find solution.

    The downloads quoted by Arthur_Li look questionable, they both contain csrss.exe and not nlaapi.dll ?

    Anyone able to shed any light?

     

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:42 PM
  • I was recently having this problem after upgrading a Dell Latitude D820 to Windows 7 (the machine does not support Win 7 according to Dell).

     I found that after running Windows update on my Win 7 machine, there were a few hardware updates (modem, etc.) which were available to select under the optional updates tab. After selecting the additional "optional" updates which applied to my machine (didn't install the Windows Live updates) and installing them with a reboot afterwords, the problem has disappeared.

     It should be noted that no matter how many times I rebooted the machine prior to installing the updates, the Remote Desktop continued to crash. Additionally, there were also a host of updates available for my Windows Server 2008R2 machine. I installed those after the problem disappeared and the problem has not returned.

    From my reading about this issue throughout all of the posts, it seems as though legacy hardware drivers from a host of items (graphics cards, modems, etc.) seems to be causing this problem.

    As with your situation, when my system was initially having problems connecting to my Win 2K8 R2 server I could log on to the other servers in my domain running Win 2K3. Hopefully this helps. Thanks.

    • Proposed as answer by trevlyan_006 Friday, January 28, 2011 4:14 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Hi.

    I know this is an old thread, but it happened to me today as well, and this page came up first on Google...

    I ran all updates on my Windows 7, and on the RDP servers (gateway and apllication servers) whom reside on Windows 2k8 R2 standard and enterprise as Hyper-V's but still had crashes.

    Would any of you by any chance have an DataCard printer installed on your Windows 7?
    Both unchecking the printers for the remote connection, and uninstalling the DataCard printer driver solved my problem.

    Tarras


    Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:44 PM
  • I just had the same issue with Windows 7 home and a local HP HP1606DN printer that was being connected through RDP. I deleted the printer, added it back, updated the firmware and drivers and the crashing issue went away. 
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:30 PM
  • This solution worked for us as well:

    More correctly, the app crash for us was also printer-mapping related.  

    This also explained why it 'came on suddenly', and why the problem seemed to be specific to the local RDP client (and its uniquely high number of printers), not the remote host.  In our case, we just disabled 'printers' under "Show options, Local Resources, Local Devices and Resources, Printers".  From here, we can isolate the specific issue (whether it's a specific printer/driver or just an issue of the high printer count).

    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:36 PM