none
No video playback on Windows 8 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to play vídeos on my Windows 8 and all I can see is a black screen and I can only hear the sound.

This happens everywhere. Youtube, video apps, media player. I can't understand why.

I've installed already the K-Lite Codec pack and I've upgraded my AMD video card. But still no luck.

Only sound , no video.

Also, if it helps, I have a Vaio J Series (all-in-one) also know as VPCJ215FB.

Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hey guys,
    This might sound stupid but I came up with a solution,

I've installed DirectX  and it came back to life. No more vídeo problems.

Thanks for your attention anyway and I hope this helps someone in the future.

Monday, November 5, 2012 9:19 PM

All replies

• Same problem. Vaio VPCEB2S1E. ATI Radeon 5660
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect the issue is caused by incompatible driver. Please uninstall the driver from Device Manager, then download and install it from manufacturer's website.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:00 AM
  • I have a similar problem.  None of the  metro style apps that play videos (video, hulu+, netflix, etc.) work.  They all stall before playback.  I also have an ATI video card so I suspect it could be a driver issue.  I am using their latest catalyst drivers as well and uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.  I guess we will have to wait until AMD fixes this problem.  On the plus side, video works within desktop apps.  Windows media player and web browser based (youtube, hulu, and netflix) all work just fine.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect the issue is caused by incompatible driver. Please uninstall the driver from Device Manager, then download and install it from manufacturer's website.

Unfortunatelly it doesnt work. Ive tried to update from the device manager, from the Sony e-support website and from ATI website, none of them solved this problem :C

@trackbully
    My case is a little bit worse. No vídeo format Works.

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hey guys,
    This might sound stupid but I came up with a solution,

I've installed DirectX  and it came back to life. No more vídeo problems.

Thanks for your attention anyway and I hope this helps someone in the future.

Monday, November 5, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Same problem Vaio VPCEB16FG. ATI Radeon  HD 5xxx series graphic card. Latest catalyst drivers from ATI site. Videos working fine on desktop apps (like youtube on chrome, firefox , IE, windows media player, VLC, etc.). But can't play videos on any Metro/Modern UI apps. IE and video apps only play sound whereas  other apps  cannot play the video at all.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Notebook Acer 4810gt with Windows 7 home udated to Windows 8 pro can't play video on any modern ui apps. What is the problem? News? The graphic card is an ati mobility hd 4xxx series.

• Edited by pako_kr Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:58 PM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:54 PM
  • the notebook go on with the intel integrated graphic card, the problem is the amd driver for mobility!! BYE ALL!!
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:57 PM
  • the ati graphic card go on with the Microsoft driver wdm1.1.

the amd driver don't play the videos on all modern ui apps.

bye!

Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:12 PM
  • i solved this problem in my vaio VPCEB26FG

initially, my camera app not working, no video playback but with audio.

1. downloaded windows 7 64bit driver package from sony vaio website support page.(just original driver not patc)

2. extract out

3. right click and go for properties under compatabilty select run in windows 7 compatability mode and as administrator.

4. start installer and select custom installation in that select only ATI display driver while installation your PC will run into blue screen error and while restarting it will again run in to blue screen error. and restarts normally.

5. you wont see any update on drivers and version number in device manager

but your camera app will start detecting camera and video playback error will also solve video app will also works perfect xbox live games video cutscenes will also work

thanks,

thulasiram

• Proposed as answer by bobbyram1 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:32 AM
  • It works!
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:55 AM
  • It works!
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:56 AM
  • WOW you are genius dude =))))

I would restore my windows 8 pro to win 7, but it's cool now :)

Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Great!!!!!.....Your solution worked out....I was searching for a solution for this problem for a long time.....thank u....My PC VAIO VPCEB16FG
    • Proposed as answer by Bijo George Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:39 AM
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:38 AM
  • i solved this problem in my vaio VPCEB26FG

initially, my camera app not working, no video playback but with audio.

1. downloaded windows 7 64bit driver package from sony vaio website support page.(just original driver not patc)

2. extract out

3. right click and go for properties under compatabilty select run in windows 7 compatability mode and as administrator.

4. start installer and select custom installation in that select only ATI display driver while installation your PC will run into blue screen error and while restarting it will again run in to blue screen error. and restarts normally.

5. you wont see any update on drivers and version number in device manager

but your camera app will start detecting camera and video playback error will also solve video app will also works perfect xbox live games video cutscenes will also work

thanks,

thulasiram

I have the same issue. I see the recommended fix is to downloaded windows 7 64bit driver package from sony vaio website support page.(just original driver not patc)

Where it says to download the W7 64bit driver package, is that a package of all drivers or just video? Sony tells me there is not a link to a single file that contains all original drivers. Please clarify. Thanks

Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Thanks alot it worked on my lappy.

VPCEB16FG....

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:33 PM
  • That was the solution to the same problem on my VPCEB1Z1E Vaio!

Thanks a lot !

Dimitris Missiris Dynacom Ltd Greece

Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:05 AM
  • bobbyram1, your solution works also in VPCCA1S1E

Thank you so much!

Saturday, October 5, 2013 9:00 AM
  • This solution worked for me too, many thanks.. downloaded the ATI drivers from here sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCEB4X0E_BQ/updates
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:51 PM
  • SOLVED, well atleast for me.

@bobbyram1 , your solution did work for me but partly. I could use metro video app, youtube player started working, but I couldn't get my cs softwares like premiere pro run. it was because your solution doesn't exactly installs ati driver, rather it removes installed display driver and replaces with Microsoft basic display adapter driver that doesn't fully utilize the hardware. maybe it had worked fine for many users, but I have a simple solution to install radeon graphics on windows 8 without blue screen theory.

@all, I am using a windows 7 based sony vpceb44en notebook, upgraded to windows 8.1. it's got ati radeon hd 5470 graphics, HD 5000 series.

I downloaded original graphics driver for windows 7 from sony vaio website. started the exe file that displayed sony branded window highlighting "installation in progress". after a few seconds when the setup file is extracted in temp folders, ati catalyst install manager app will pop up. don't do anything with the setup file, instead open tast manager (from contextual menu, 'window key' + 'x'). right click on catalyst insall manager and select open file location. once the explorer window opens, go one step back and select and copy the following folders to wherever u like: Bin64 (or maybe 86), Config, Images, Packages.

go to device manager through windows key + x contextual menu. go to display adapters and select the graphics hardware, double click. go to driver tab, select update driver. next, select browse my computer. select let me pick from a list of device drivers. select have disk. browse to the extracted saved folders of ati graphics --> ur folder name/Packages/Drivers/Display/W76A_INF. select the inf file from the folder.

afterwards you'll get your driver listed in the have disk window, select it, click next and install, and restart. later if you browse to device manager you will see your display graphics hardware name. later on you can install catalyst manager software through setup.

if in case it doesn't work download amd cleanup utility from amd site. run it, let it flash display driver and restart the pc. go to device manager and select Microsoft basic display adapter from display adapters, and follow the same above "have disk" installation procedure.

hope I have helped you all.

NOTE: before you do all this, make sure you create a restore point. it shall help you if anything goes wrong with the os.
    • Edited by kalpeshmistry Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:15 AM note added
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Your solution worked perfect in VPCEB26FG. Thanks a lot. :-)
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:05 AM