Dialog off screen, cannot bring it back onto screen RRS feed

• Question

• Apparently there is a "cool" feature for bringing rogue windows (displaying off your screens in dual screen mode) back into view.

This "cool" feature doesn't appear to work with dialogs.

I have a dialog that is chopped off so that the bottom 3/4 is showing and I cannot get to the top bar.  No amount of clicking on it or other "cool" windoze 7 tricks I have tried works.

I have gone into the config files for the software to see if it persists the dialog location - no luck.

Scanning the registry finds the entry for the application but no persistence stored.

Any ideas?  The application is java based, is that the problem?

Saturday, February 4, 2012 1:00 AM

Answers

• By nature, dialog boxes are modal to the application--meaning that they don't have a separate GUI/process in which to move , resize, etc.  Unfortunately, this is a "windows-ism" that cannot be avoided--at least not that I know of.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:17 AM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:02 AM
  • You're right, there's no good way to get "hold" of a dialog if is has no system menu (i.e., the Alt-Spacebar, M trick won't invoke "Move").  There is no restriction that a dialog not have such a menu, but most designers don't include one.

Well-behaved dialogs are expected to watch the desktop metrics and make sure they fit on the desktop.

As a possibility that this dialog is doing at least some of that, try changing your screen resolution temporarily.  It may move itself.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, February 4, 2012 2:40 PM clarified wording
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 2:39 PM

All replies

• By nature, dialog boxes are modal to the application--meaning that they don't have a separate GUI/process in which to move , resize, etc.  Unfortunately, this is a "windows-ism" that cannot be avoided--at least not that I know of.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:02 AM
  • You're right, there's no good way to get "hold" of a dialog if is has no system menu (i.e., the Alt-Spacebar, M trick won't invoke "Move").  There is no restriction that a dialog not have such a menu, but most designers don't include one.

Well-behaved dialogs are expected to watch the desktop metrics and make sure they fit on the desktop.

As a possibility that this dialog is doing at least some of that, try changing your screen resolution temporarily.  It may move itself.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, February 4, 2012 2:40 PM clarified wording
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 2:39 PM

-Noel

Noel, you hit the nail on the head.  I'm in Windows 10 running Solidworks, and I had a dialog box off the edge of the screen that I couldn't get back to with the old alt+space, "m" trick.  I switched the screen resolution and Windows pulled the dialog box back onto the screen.  WOOHOO!!!!  Thanks so much for the good idea!

-Rodney

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:59 AM