none
eTrust AntiVirus & Pest Patrol not downloading definitions

Question

• I'm using eTrust AntiVirus & Pest Patrol Build 8.1.655.0.  We have an internal ITM Server which I manage.  I allow clients to download definitions from either the internal server or directly from CA.  My Windows 7 box has successfully licensed itself using the Phone Home policy and I have been able to add it to my ITM Organization with no problem.  However, it is not succeeding in downloading the latest definitions.  If I right click on the icon and choose "Download Updates Now" and then monitor the updates it seems to bomb when trying to download the file "masteritm_81.xml".  I get no event logs or errors.  According to Winver my version is 6.1 Build 7100.  I have tried the following:

1 - Set compat on exe's to Windows Vista SP1
    2 - Checked Windows Firewall to allow proper ports and protocols
    3 - Manually copied from update server vet.dat & vete.dll as well as masteritm_81.xml

Still the ITM console reports no updates.  Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Heffner
    • Edited by jeffhef Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:50 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff

I'm getting the same issue and can't figure it out either.  Have you had any success at your end?

Regards
    John

Friday, August 07, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Hey Guys..

I had the Same problem, The Update fails on Masteritm_81.xml.

So I have a solution for eTrust 8.1 on Win7. Go to the eTrustITM program directory:
    c:\program files\ca\etrustitm

For the following files, right click, select Properties, then Compatibility, then Change Settings for All Users. Select Wnidows Vista and Run This program as an administrator.

AVWmi
    InoRPC
    InoTask
    InoRT

Reboot your PC.

You might see the Action Center (white flag in notification area) flag an error that eTrust needs to be updated. Click on it and allow the process.

It went out and updated without issue.

We had the same problem On windows 2008 R2, Did the same, and it also work 100%.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Mant thanks Chaddyboy as CA are totally useless in helping with Windows 7, they said they'll have a look once Win7 is released to the public???
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Hello all,

Since 10/21/2009, a patch is now available from ComputerAssociates for Windows 7 x86 and x64:

http://support.ca.com/irj/portal/anonymous/phpsupcontent?contentID=220003

It seems to work on my win 2008 R2 also !
    • Edited by Jb VERNEJOUX Monday, October 26, 2009 1:52 PM add w2008 r2 support
    • Proposed as answer by Networkjoe Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:32 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:50 PM
  • I just tried the patch and it still won't download the updates.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I just followed chadboy's instructions and that worked (and I couldn't even find the avwmi file.)
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Ok, well, it worked on 1 machine. I can't get this to work on my other machines.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Thanks.  I used this on an existing installation and was able to download updates.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Thanks for the link.

Using the instructions and files they provided, I was able to modify my install package for Windows 7 (x86) so that I can download updates.

(they also provide for x64, but I'm not in a position to test that yet.)

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:32 PM
  • It works fine on x64 I've been testing that fo a while now :) but I have the same problem as you guys on my x86

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Thx for the link of CA => http://support.ca.com/irj/portal/anonymous/phpsupcontent?contentID=220003

Worked fine, downloaded, extracted and installed (as administrator) for a Windows 7 32bits machine and did no other configuration, installed " after starting "download signatures" no problem any more

thx  Georges

other sollution is:

1) Stop the eTrust ITM Services:
     CA Pest Patrol Realtime Protection Service (If present)
     eTrust Antivirus Realtime Service
     eTrust ITM Job Service
     eTrust ITM RPC Service  
    2) Rename the current C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CAUpdate\CAUpdate.dll to CAUpdate.old
    3) Copy the appropriate file from the attached zip (x86 or x64) to the SharedComponents\CAUpdate folder and rename to CAUpdate.dll
    4) Restart all of the stopped eTrust ITM services

*Note, after ITM Agent machine updates to ITMCommon version 8.1.664 it will overwrite the CAUpdate.dll that was replaced.

You will need to replace the CAUpdate.dll (again) by following steps 1-4.  Once it's replaced the second time, user intervention is no longer needed.
    If you do NOT want to replace the CAUpdate.dll file twice, then after you following steps 1-4 (for the first time), go to the update components list and deselect "eTrust ITM Common" from updating.

Please note if the ITM Agent machine is managed by a policy pushed out from the Console, you might not be able edit the Update policy.  if that is the case the you will need to apply the attached CAUpdate.dll twice.

You can download both .dll's here (windows7 32bits and 64 bits)and 100% guaranteed virus free!!!:

http://rapidshare.com/files/401319651/Win-7-And-Win2008-R2.zip.html

georges

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:57 AM
  • thanks mate, your fix is working. just fixed my updates problem on W2008 r2 virtual server
    Monday, May 31, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Hey Chaddyboy,

Thanks for posting this!  Your instructions worked like a charm...

Duke111

Thursday, December 09, 2010 3:42 PM