Using Group Policy to Set Windows Font DPI size RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was in need of a way to change the Windows 7 user interface to use the Font size of 100% (vs the default of 125%) for custom applications on our network.

Many searches on the net did not provide an easy way to accomplish this via Group Policy. The font size is PER USER and not PER MACHINE.

I found a method using Group policy preferences (GPP) to configure the Font DPI size and wanted to share it for others who might need to do the same...

I created a new GPO for the users needing this font size and linked it to their OU. Then configured the following:

User Configuration \ Preferences \ Registry (Right click and select NEW \ Registry Wizard)

Configure the following DWORD key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\LogPixels

Use the values as needed:

00000060 (Small Font Size 100%)

00000090 (Medium Font Size 125%)

00000144 (Large Font Size 150%)

I used 00000060 to set the Small Font Size of 100%. Gpupdate /force a test client machine, then logoff/logon and see the setting take effect.

When users try to change the font size in via the control panel, the value will be overwritten the next time the group policy updates. Id even recommend preventing users from being able to change the font dpi with another GPO setting:

User Configuration \ Policies \ Administrative Templates \ Control Panel \ Personalization \ Prohibit selection of visual style font size = Enable

Just wanted to share this for anyone needing to change the Windows 7 default font DPI size en mass using Group Policy. We can thank Microsoft for not giving us a ADMX template for this issue!!!!

Drumgod

me

• Changed type tracycai Monday, May 20, 2013 7:49 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members who will use this.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Thank you! This is exactly what I needed - I just received a large amount of 10 inch screens with 1080p resolution, nobody could read a thing on those screens. Its really a oversight of Windows to not adjust the scale automatically, Mac's look amazing even at the 24inch 4k resolutions.
    Friday, June 7, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Thank you!  This is very helpful.

Warfy, you're an idiot if you think that the reason a 24 inch 4k display looks good is because it's a mac.

Friday, June 14, 2013 3:36 PM
  • User Configuration \ Policies \ Administrative Templates \ Control Panel \ Personalization \ Prohibit selection of visual style font size = Enable

This policy setting states that it is supported on Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 operating systems only. 

The description on this setting says that it disables the "Font size" drop-down list on the Appearance tab in Display Properties. This does not exist in Windows 7. I don't think the DPI setting you are talking about is the equivalent.

The other setting is good to have enough. Thanks for the tip!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:34 PM
  • is that a hex value?  Its not working for me..(screenshot)?
    Friday, December 27, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Thanks a lot for this!! Made my client happy!

However, and I'm surprised nobody discovered this, your hex convertions are wrong :) I tried to set 125% and I entered 90h as such, but that was way too big. After some checking, I discovered the hex value is simply a conversion of the percentage in decimal. So, it's sufficient to select Decimal and enter "125"; regedit will convert to the correct hex value automatically.

So the correct values actually are:

100% 00000060
    125% 0000007D
    150% 00000096

And it seems you can even set custom values!

Also, I can confirm this is working on WS 2012 R2.

Thanks again!

Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:40 PM
  • frederic1 - while, generally this is true, when setting values in the registry you can set them to the decimal value that way (IE: 96 in HEX = 150 in DEC), this is not the case for the LogPixels registry key:

LogPixels is based on the number of pixels in an inch. The 100% setting corresponds with 96 (decimal). Thus, in order to come up with the decimal values for other percentages, you simply multiple by 0.96:

100% = 100*0.96 = 96 (decimal) = 60 (HEX)
    125% = 125*0.96 = 120 (decimal) = 78 (HEX)
    150% = 150*0.96 = 144 (decimal) = 90 (HEX)

Friday, June 20, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Darn. I just spent more than an hour troubleshooting a GPO with the wrong values from the original post, did not scroll down to here!

So thats also how I figured out that the intemediate values don't work, at least not in a RDS session host setting.. <o:p></o:p>

In this context only the values 96, 120, 144 work.<o:p></o:p>

Originally these were DPI values.<o:p></o:p>

I also tried good old 72, did not work.

I was wrong - it does work to use a smaller or intermediate number - however the correct value does not show up in the CPL panel Microsoft.Display.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:45 PM
  • You rather torture your short sighted employees then fixing your in custom software?
    Friday, February 24, 2017 7:06 AM