Server 2012 NTP Setup

• I am setting up a new Server 2012 Forest and looking for info on setting up our PDC emulator to sync with an external time source. I have set up our current domain to sync but was wondering if there were any changes in 2012.

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the NTP setup in Windows Server 2012 is similar as the previous server editions.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

Configuring a time source for the forest

Synchronize the Time Server for the Domain Controller with an External Source

How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Arthur,

Thank you for your reply. Based on your advice I did set it up as I did in previous editions and it seems to be working just great.

I have just 1 more question I hope you can answer for me.

We have a business need to have 2 DC's in the same Forest retrieve NTP info from an external source. I have set up 1 DC based on the information above and I need to set up the second DC to do the same.

Is there any issue with doing this if I set the AnnounceFlag on the PDC Emulator to 5 and the AnnounceFlag on the other to 10.

Also, do I need to Disable the Windows Time service on the PDC emulator since it is synching externally?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

You’d better to use the PDCEmulator configured to an external time source and let the rest be done by the domain hierarchy. You can use multiple time servers to have redundancy.

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:PEERS /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

With "PEERS" you can set the time source, either DNS name ( or an ip address from a reliable time source.

Here you can find some of them:

it is good practice to configure a Group Policy to track your PDCE and configure the time settings:

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 27, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Sorry to take so long to reply but i have been waiting to have some Firewall ports opened. your advice was spot on. All is working grat. Thanks for the help.

Monday, June 03, 2013 2:08 AM
  • hi Arthur, 

it helped me a lot to raed your article!

i still have one q..

i need my 2012 servers to sync with NTP every hour..

ia there a way to do so?

thanks a lot!!

Monday, September 15, 2014 2:02 PM
  • possibly run this in powershell (or set it to run hourly via script)

w32tm /config / /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

I was able to get a server to sync up to Microsofts time automatically. Initially it will take (up to) 30 minutes for it to sync, but in one case it happened in less than ten minutes. I didn't need to do anything else.

remember to run this in powershell (as admin).

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:44 PM