Want to replace citrix with Win08 R2, Questions. RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to replace citrix in my environment with Win2008 R2.

Our Citrix current infrastructure is as follows:

Main data center -
    8 Citrix app servers
    1 Citrix data collector (dedicated)
    1 Licensing server (TS & Citrix)
    1 Citrix Web interface

DR site -
    2 Citrix app servers
    1 Citrix Web interface

Remote sites - (3 remote sites total)
    1 Citrix app server

Would the following be a suitable RDS infrastructure?

Main data center -
    8 RDS host app servers
    1 RDS session broker
    1 RDS licensing server
    1 Web Access server (in local LAN)
    1 Web Access server (in DMZ)
    1 Web Gateway (in DMZ)

DR site -  (these servers would go into use only when a disaster is declared or during an annual DR test)
    2 RDS host app servers
    1 Web access/Web Gateway/Licensing server/Session broker

Remote sites -
    2 RDS host app servers

Session broker, Web Access & Licensing  - would be designated in the various locations as CNAMES, and during a DR the CNAMES would be changed to point to the server at DR which hosts those services. Would that work as expected?

Some additional questions -

Could the Web Access & Web Gateway in our DMZ host both services? Or would I want them on separate servers?

Would each remote site be a separate farm? I would imagine so, because they would not be hosting the same applications as the other farms.

All servers in a remote app farm need to host the same applications - correct?

If each site is a farm, then the session broker will read the appropriate applications for a given user from each farm and present those in the Web Access to the user. Correct?

Are there any best practices guides which cover the above information??? Or how to build a enterprise class multi-site RDS implementation?

THANKS!!
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Eric,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

I understand that you want to replace the original Citrix system with Remote Desktop Services environment. You have several questions on the topology of the RDS farm and need suggestions from us.

Here are some information based on my experience:

·          Session broker, Web Access & Licensing  - would be designated in the various locations as CNAMES, and during a DR the CNAMES would be changed to point to the server at DR which hosts those services. Would that work as expected?

Yes. The pre-condition is that the DR farm is correctly configured. Before the production farm is really in downtime, please test the DR farm by using another CName, which ensure that the DR farm is running fine.

·          Could the Web Access & Web Gateway in our DMZ host both services? Or would I want them on separate servers?

What do you mean by Web Gateway? Is it a Website that can guide you to the Web Access page? If so, both the separate server plan or standalone server plan are OK. You can make the decision based on the workload of each server.

·          Would each remote site be a separate farm? I would imagine so, because they would not be hosting the same applications as the other farms.

What do you mean by “separate farm”? If it means RDS Connection Broker farm, these severs shouldn’t be included into the existing farms, because it doesn’t provide the same functions. In such a case, please create a new RDS Connection Broker farm for them.

·          All servers in a remote app farm need to host the same applications - correct?

I don’t think it’s necessary. The RemoteApp servers in the same Connection Broker farm can host different applications.

·          If each site is a farm, then the session broker will read the appropriate applications for a given user from each farm and present those in the Web Access to the user. Correct?

Yes. It also provide other functions including session reconnection and load-balancing.

·          Are there any best practices guides which cover the above information??? Or how to build a enterprise class multi-site RDS implementation?

Currently, there is no official documents focusing on RDS topology design, but the guides for each roles are listed in the following TechNet library:

Getting Started: Terminal Services
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770702(WS.10).aspx

·          Would the following be a suitable RDS infrastructure?

In conclusion, your plan of the topology is available to achieve the business purpose as described. Please also consider the performance and high-availability factors to improve the topology in future use. Take the following whitepaper as a reference:

Whitepaper: Remote Desktop Connection Performance
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/d/9/4d9ae285-3431-4335-a86e-969e7a146d1b/RDP_Performance_WhitePaper.docx

Hope the information above helps. Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hello Eric,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

I understand that you want to replace the original Citrix system with Remote Desktop Services environment. You have several questions on the topology of the RDS farm and need suggestions from us.

Here are some information based on my experience:

·          Session broker, Web Access & Licensing  - would be designated in the various locations as CNAMES, and during a DR the CNAMES would be changed to point to the server at DR which hosts those services. Would that work as expected?

Yes. The pre-condition is that the DR farm is correctly configured. Before the production farm is really in downtime, please test the DR farm by using another CName, which ensure that the DR farm is running fine.

·          Could the Web Access & Web Gateway in our DMZ host both services? Or would I want them on separate servers?

What do you mean by Web Gateway? Is it a Website that can guide you to the Web Access page? If so, both the separate server plan or standalone server plan are OK. You can make the decision based on the workload of each server.

·          Would each remote site be a separate farm? I would imagine so, because they would not be hosting the same applications as the other farms.

What do you mean by “separate farm”? If it means RDS Connection Broker farm, these severs shouldn’t be included into the existing farms, because it doesn’t provide the same functions. In such a case, please create a new RDS Connection Broker farm for them.

·          All servers in a remote app farm need to host the same applications - correct?

I don’t think it’s necessary. The RemoteApp servers in the same Connection Broker farm can host different applications.

·          If each site is a farm, then the session broker will read the appropriate applications for a given user from each farm and present those in the Web Access to the user. Correct?

Yes. It also provide other functions including session reconnection and load-balancing.

·          Are there any best practices guides which cover the above information??? Or how to build a enterprise class multi-site RDS implementation?

Currently, there is no official documents focusing on RDS topology design, but the guides for each roles are listed in the following TechNet library:

Getting Started: Terminal Services
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770702(WS.10).aspx

·          Would the following be a suitable RDS infrastructure?

In conclusion, your plan of the topology is available to achieve the business purpose as described. Please also consider the performance and high-availability factors to improve the topology in future use. Take the following whitepaper as a reference:

Whitepaper: Remote Desktop Connection Performance
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/d/9/4d9ae285-3431-4335-a86e-969e7a146d1b/RDP_Performance_WhitePaper.docx

Hope the information above helps. Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Lionel Chen

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Hi Eric,

As I haven't seen you for a while, please let me know if I can provide any further assistance on this case.

Feel free to follow up here please.

Lionel Chen

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact EMAIL REMOVED

Friday, October 2, 2009 5:00 AM