Replace Dead Raid-5 Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Good day everyone,

a drive in my Raid-5 array has bitten the dust. I use Microsoft Software Raid-5 (Windows Server 2008 R2), and now that I have returned the dead drive and procured a new one, I need to know how to add it into my array. In disk management, I see a "Missing Disk" row at the bottom of the table of drives. When I right-click on my volume, "Repair Volume" is grayed out.

My question to the fine professionals here on this forum, is how the heck do I turn my RAID back on? I tip my hat to the gentleman whom may solve this problem.

Thank you very much!

Taylor

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:25 AM

All replies

• This article may help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938528.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Thank you,

However I cannot put the dying drive as offline. It has been totally removed, and I cannot reactivate the Raid-5 volume due to a missing disk error. Any thoughts?

Taylor

IT Manager and CEO of Fringe Communications.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Believe we're talking dynamic volume here right? So you'll need to right-click the disk and initialize it. Once initialized you'll need to right-click and convert dynamic. Then you'll right-click the missing disk and repair volume. New disk should then be listed as replacement. Should then go to resyncing state. Once complete you can right-click and remove missing disk that's no longer part of volume.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:08 AM
  • unfortunately, when i right click, repir volume is grayed out. to be clear. this is a dynamic raid 5 array, with 1 disk replaced. 
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:17 AM
  • i have rried offline and online, set to dynamic and basic, and repair volume is still grayed out. the volume will not go online.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:09 AM
  • 1) Convert the new disk to dynamic.

diskpart> lis dis

// Get new Disk Index

diskpart> lis vol

// Get Raid-5 volume index

diskpart> sel vol <raid-5>

diskpart> repair disk=<new-disk>

Let me know if it helps

Regards

Satish

Friday, September 30, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Thank you for your help, however the issue has just gotten severly worse.

To repeat myself one again, I cannot repair the volume as it must be in the healthy or rebuilding state. The volume would not come online due to the missing disk.

Using information found in Microsoft's article,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

I selected the missing disk (Disk M0) in this case and ran delete disk override to rid myself of that bad drive, hoping to finally repair and add the spare harddrive.

Unfortunately, this action destroyed the volume. Being a computer technician, I know that many don't have pity for the guy who didn't back up his data and accidentally destroyed all of it. In fact, in someway, I know I deserve this, however Raid-5 was supposed to solve this issue. Oh well. Anyways, this is why I would like to thank you all for your current advice and any I may recieve in the future from yourselves and other users.

At this point, I'm guessing I need a data recovery software or perhaps a version of linux that can temporarily access these drives. Honestly, I'm not sure where to go from here. I have a few ideas but I don't want to write to the drives until I know I won't cause further data loss.

Thanks,

Taylor

Saturday, October 1, 2011 1:09 AM
  • That's unfortunate. There must have been other issues that aggravated this problem. Recovery services are probably going to run over $1000 rather easy. There is do-it-yourself sofware for less but no experience here with any of it.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 1:20 AM
  • I'm actually testing out iRecover right now and may be able to get the whole thing back up and running. The thing is, the Data is still there; I just need to point that out to the operating system.

To be honest, I've been doing this whole array the wrong way from the start. This whole thing was meant to be a challenge/experiment for my home. I would NEVER do anything the way I just did this on a client's computer, and would never apply my methods to a business.

The good news is, I keep most of my important stuff synchronised across multiple computers and backed up AS I SHOULD.

The bad news is, my five terabytes of movies, TechNet ISOs and the first Visual Basic 6.0 program I ever made are now lost in a vast sea of ones and zeros.

If I do fix this uh-oh, I will be sure to share it, however I am still unsatisfied not knowing why I was unable to repair the volume... I will see what I can find.

Saturday, October 1, 2011 1:29 AM
  • I feel like I'm talking to a wall. The repair disk button is greyed outt for some reason.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:31 PM
  • I feel like I'm talking to a wall. The repair disk button is greyed outt for some reason.

I know his is an old topic, but I just thought I'd chime in and say, I feel your pain!

I'm in the same boat, the array will state 'failed redundancy' when all the original disks are present, so naturally you replace the 'failed' disk and then you should be able to repair.

However once the disk is replaced, the array goes into 'Failed' mode with a 'missing' disk and cannot be activated to allow 'repair' to function (It is greyed out, as the array is 'Offline').

From what I've been able to deduce, the issue is due to errors across the entire array which means it will never be able to be repaired. It is certainly most frustrating and gives me zero confidence in Windows Server Raid-5 going forward. I know it should only ever be a last resort, but the fact the last resort is unusable means it's never an option now.

Apparently it was fine in Windows Server 2003, and has only become a known issue in 2008/R2 which is disappointing (From my reading across various forums).

Fortunately for myself, I can still bring the 'failed redundancy' back online to copy the data off and then blow the entire array away and start again, however like you said Raid-5 is supposed to protect against this!

Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:32 PM
  • I recently ran into this problem myself. The "Repair Volume" option was not available (grayed out).

I read many posts on forums and none of them really helped until I read one that suggested that instead of pulling the bad hard drive out and putting in the new one before trying to rebuild, put the new drive in the computer WITH the bad drive still plugged in. Then when the "Repair Volume" option should be there and when you select it is asks which disk you would like to use to repair the volume. You may need to initialize the disk and or change it to dynamic or basic, but this finally allowed me to repair my RAID 5 volume!

So, to list the steps.

1. Drive errors or Failed Redundancy detected.

2. Add new hard drive to computer (you must have an available SATA or whatever connector available to do this).

3. Run "Repair Volume" and select the new drive as the replacement drive to fix the volume.

4. When the system is done "Resyncing" you can remove bad hard drive.

At this point if you want to or need to, you can unplug the new drive (which will cause your array to fault) and then plug it into the old drive's spot. This is only necessaryfor "housekeeping" if you have your drives in specific spots.  When you plug the new drive back in, your volume will resync an all will be good again.

One last thing, because Window Server doesn't offer a nice way to see which drive is actually "Drive4" or what ever, here is a command line you can run that will display all your drives and their serial number. Open a command prompt and type in...

wmic DISKDRIVE GET DeviceID, SerialNumber

If you want to output that to a text file add this to the end of that (without the curly brackets) { >> "c:\drive list.txt"}

The >> tells your DOS command to output to a file. You can name the file anything you want (within reason of course).

I hope this helps at least one person.

Randy

• Proposed as answer by Randy Shanks Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:01 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:01 PM
  • I had the same issue.  You must use a basic disk to repair a basic RAID-5 volume, you cannot use a dynamic disk.  I had to delete the volume on the new drive (I created one as dynamic) and then I could "Repair Volume". 
    • Proposed as answer by doctori Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:20 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

The same issue.

I have Windows Server 2012R2 and RAID5 with 4x disk 3TB each.

One of them became bad (bad sectors) and i get new one. The SAME model!

Create GPT Dynamic but repair volume menu is not available....

From diskpart utility i get error: Virtual Disk Service error: To repair a volume, both the volume and plex must be online, and must not be healthy or rebuilding.

How to repair my RAID5  or at least get data from it???? And why did replacing broken disk in RAID-5 is so complicated I thought it should be easy :(

I don't have broken disk already as it replaced by warranty in the shop.

---------------

UPD:  looks like i found a source of my problem. Just after create RAID-5 volume goes to "resynching" state and during this process I start copy data to RAID5 and reboot system several times... After resynching finished I got an message that one of disk has bad sectors and state of RAID5 was not healthy. And replacing disk in this scenario is not a way to 'repair' volume (as i understand). In my case after disk replaced i get a state 'error' (not redundancy failed) and in this situation repairing is not possible.

Using data recovery tool I was able to get required data back (volume was displayed and accessible for reading so its mean that RAID is working... maybe not all data was valid but required for me files are OK) and recreate RAID.

Pavel Asedovski

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 11:00 PM
  • Thanks Randy.  This was very helpful.

--Dan

Sunday, January 3, 2016 7:37 PM