none
Cluster-Aware Updating DNS configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've got a simple 2 node Server 2012 cluster and have configured CAU. It actually runs the updates just fine, but something is not quite right. 

When I run Server Manager, it lists the "entity" (I don't know what to call this thing - it's not a server, but it's listed here) that was created when I enabled CAU with the name CAUhvcluxc4 with an error of "Target name resolution error." I tried adding a CNAME DNS entry for CAUhvcluxc4 to point to the name of my cluster, and that caused the error to go away, but it started generating errors in the FCM saying "dns rr set that ought not exist does exist."

I'm sure there's something simple I'm doing wrong here, but I can't figure it out.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:12 PM

Answers

• Use the Update-ClusterNetworkNameResource PowerShell cmdlet to regsiter with DNS. So in your case it would be -

Get-ClusterResource 'CAUhvcluxc4' | Update-ClusterNetworkNameResource

Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Windows 8 Beta Engineer Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Should be able do, just keep in mind there will be multiple entries equating to the # of nodes in the cluster and the IP addresses will be the cluster node IP addresses.

Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Windows 8 Beta Engineer Microsoft Corporation

• Marked as answer by JakesterPDX Monday, February 25, 2013 4:51 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:03 PM
  • Cool.

I manually populated them, but, yes I think they're correct now.

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:12 PM

All replies

• If the CAU role is HA in the cluster (the resources cannot be seen in Failover Cluster Manager but only by using PowerShell), CAU role uses a Distributed Network Name resource which will register the CAU Name (CAUhvcluxc4) in DNS.  There should be two A-Records each with the IP address of one of the nodes in the cluster)

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:42 PM
  • I don't see any DNS records (A NAME or otherwise) listed for the CAU role. Should I manually create these records? What happens when I add another node to the cluster? Do I have to manually update DNS?
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

This is a known issue in Windows Server 2012.

Issue:

After you create a failover cluster or configure high availability for a role in Failover Cluster Manager (for example the File Server role), you notice the following:

1. The new server name of the failover cluster or the high availability role does not immediately appear in Server Manager when you click File and Storage Services, and then click Servers. If you right-click one of the cluster nodes, and then click Add other servers in the cluster to the server pool, nothing appears to happen.
    2. If you then click All Servers in Server Manager, the new server name of the cluster or the high availability role is listed. However, the Manageability column displays a status of Target name resolution error.

Cause:

This behavior occurs because of delays that are associated with Domain Name System (DNS) replication. For the new object to appear on the Servers page in File and Storage Services, Server Manager must complete a successful inventory. To do this, Server Manager must wait for the new server name to register and resolve in DNS. Depending on the size of your environment, this can take some time.

Resolution:
    Wait until DNS replication completes and the status in the Manageability column on the All Servers page changes to Online. When Server Manager can successfully resolve the server name, the name of the cluster or of the high availability role will automatically appear in the Servers page of File and Storage Services.

Tip   Server Manager completes an inventory pass every 10 minutes. If you can successfully ping the DNS name of the cluster or the high availability role, you can click Refresh to force an immediate inventory.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Known Issues: Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13590.known-issues-windows-server-2012-failover-clustering.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Can you confirm that you made the CAU Role highly available and that you see the resoruces in the cluster by running the Get-ClusterResource PowerShell cmdlet?

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Thanks, Chuck-

I ran the powershell command as administrator and got back two results for CAUhvcluxv4:

Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Exactly, and that is what you are supposed to get.  You will note that one of the resource types is a new one in  WS 2012 and that is a Distributed Netwrok Name.  This is the same resource that is used with Scale-Out File servers.  Then I inspect my DNS Forward Lookup zone and I see two A-Records with the name of the CAU Role (in your example it would be CAUhvcluxc4) and each record has the IP address of one of the nodes in the cluster.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:20 PM
  • I don't have those A Name records. Should I manually create them?
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Use the Update-ClusterNetworkNameResource PowerShell cmdlet to regsiter with DNS. So in your case it would be -

Get-ClusterResource 'CAUhvcluxc4' | Update-ClusterNetworkNameResource

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Thanks again for all of your help with this. I ran that command, and I didn't get any errors, but I don't see any new DNS entries. I checked the DNS Events log and didn't see anything logged recently, either.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:42 PM
  • You refreshed the DNS zone display and no registrations?  That is strange.  It registers fine in my environment.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Yes, that's right, no registrations, even after refresh. Nothing in the event logs, either on the DNS servers or on the node where I ran the powershell script. Can I just manually add the A Name records?
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Should be able do, just keep in mind there will be multiple entries equating to the # of nodes in the cluster and the IP addresses will be the cluster node IP addresses.

• Marked as answer by JakesterPDX Monday, February 25, 2013 4:51 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:03 PM
  • Ok, when I do that the error for CAUhvcluxc4 changes to "Kerberos security error."

Does that help explain what's going on?

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Not really.  This occurred becasue you creating static A-records in a DNS zone?

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:12 AM
  • There are A-Records in DNS for the cluster nodes, the cluster name, and any other Client Access Points you may have configured in the cluster?

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:08 PM
  • When I went to grab a screenshot of the security error I reported yesterday, the error was gone. Here's how it looks now:

Is it ok that CAUhvcluxc4 is only pointing to one of my nodes at the moment? I've got A Name records pointing to each of my 2 nodes, so maybe it just picks one?

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Yep, that is fine.  It is the same in my environment.  So, are you now saying teh DNS records are correctly populated?

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Cool.

I manually populated them, but, yes I think they're correct now.

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:12 PM