Windows 2008 Standard printing to Client shared printer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows 2008 R2 server installed on my network and all I want to do is to print to a printer installed on another printer but I have run into some issues.

The Windows 2008 server is x64 and is a member server in the domain, the pc is Windows 7 x64 and is part of the domain because of the software we are using I need to print to the printer using a basic name in this case aacounts-label so i have added the printer by using a local port of \\computername\printername.

The printer is there and looks okay we are using a Generic Text driver for both printers so there should not be a problem there the only thing I can think of that is different is the server uses a custom form type whereas the client is just using the default A4.

The problem I have is when anything hits the server queue it errors but if I reboot the printer spooler on the server the document prints okay until the next document is sent.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Alamb200

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:42 PM

Answers

• Install the LPD service on the XP machine  (Print Services for Unix).  Change the LPD start up type to Automatic. Make sure your sharename of the XP printer is one word.

On the server , create a Standard TCP port using the XP machine name (give the UI 90 seconds to timeout the SNMP query) , click Custom, LPR mode using the sharename as the queue name. Check LPR byte counting, verify SNMP unchecked.

This is just a security issue.  When you restart the spooler the user token is lost so the SMB service on the XP machine does not block the job. 

Notepad jobs initiated on the server should work, however.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:44 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• what error did you receve?
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:28 PM
  • You are hitting a security issue.   You will need to allow delegation on the print server so it can write data from the client machine sending print data to the last machine using the print server for unauthenticated access.  I'm not sure how to do this.  If I want to bounce jobs from one machine to another I setup the LPD service installed on the last machine.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I have just had a look and there are no error messages it just sits in the print queue saying "Error - Printing". If I restart the spooler on the server it prints but if I try restarting the spooler on the client pc it makes no difference.

The only thing I have noticed is if I load the client pc into the print management console on the server and compare the drivers the server says Generic Text x64 and the client Generic Text x86. I have tried adding the x64 driver from the server console but it asks me for a location to get the file from and I cannot find it.

Interestingly if I send a Windows Test page from the server it works but if I send an actual document from the server then it errors.

Can you help?

Thanks,

alamb200

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Install the LPD service on the XP machine  (Print Services for Unix).  Change the LPD start up type to Automatic. Make sure your sharename of the XP printer is one word.

On the server , create a Standard TCP port using the XP machine name (give the UI 90 seconds to timeout the SNMP query) , click Custom, LPR mode using the sharename as the queue name. Check LPR byte counting, verify SNMP unchecked.

This is just a security issue.  When you restart the spooler the user token is lost so the SMB service on the XP machine does not block the job. 

Notepad jobs initiated on the server should work, however.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Alan,

that worked a treat so you are officially a god in my eyes.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Great, thanks for the update.  I'll inform my son on his new status :)
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:46 PM
    Answerer