none
Dioes Hierarchical storage management exist for Longhorn? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just received the RC1 client but am still working with the RC0 system for several software tests. I am currently looking into Hierarchical storage management to be used with Windows server 2008. Our current solution does backup to a tape solution and will as the tertiary storage use optical disks (not in an optical array for testing)

Does the Hierarchical storage facility still exist under Windows server 2008? I have been unable to find anything under the remote storage management which is how I believe it used to be managed, the only tool I can find similar to this is the removable storage manager which does allow multiple Pools to be created on one server which I assume is an enhancement of the Remote storage which existed previously.

While looking into this I believe that I read that the Windows Server Backup would not support writing to tape

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/75e4c12a-a541-4b0f-9fbe-a2ca5a3dbe961033.mspx?mfr=true

Are there any special considerations?

You must be a member of the Administrators group or Backup Operators group to use Backup.

In Windows Server 2008, the firewall has been enabled by default. If you are managing the backups of another computer using the Windows Server Backup Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in, you may be affected. When working on the local computer, you are not affected.

Also, if you are a current user of Windows Backup (Ntbackup.exe) and plan to switch to the new Windows Server Backup, you might be impacted by the following issues and changes:

Backup settings will not be upgraded when you upgrade to Windows Server 2008. You will need to reconfigure settings.

You will need a separate, dedicated disk for running scheduled backups.

You can no longer back up to tape.

You cannot recover backups that you created with Ntbackup.exe by using Windows Server Backup. However, a version of Ntbackup.exe is available as a download to Windows Server 2008 users who want to recover data from backups created by using NTBackup. The downloadable version of Ntbackup.exe is only for performing recoveries of legacy backups and cannot be used to create new backups on Windows Server 2008. To download Ntbackup.exe, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=82917 .

If this is the case how is existing Hierarchical storage expected to be maintained? Is it Microsoft’s intention to only support SAN / NAS and optical array solutions? Or is their expected to be a patch to resolve this and allow existing infrastructures to work? I would rather I did not have to use multiple technologies if possible but I suspect that this will force  several people to use other Hierarchical storage solutions

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:56 AM

Answers

• Hello,

So, by parts...

-          Remote Storage (also known as HSM, or Hierarchical Storage Manager) does not ship anymore with Windows Server 2008 – this is true. Customers who use this component on Windows Server 2003 should not upgrade before they recall back their data or if they wish to continue using the service.

-          Yes, Windows Server Backup (in-box) does not support tape.

-          Windows Server 2008 DOES support tape and RSM (Removable Storage Manager) is still there.

Please post if you have more questions regarding this!

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:44 PM

All replies

• I'm also interested in knowing what Microsoft's plan is for the Remote Storage service.  We are relunctant to deploy it on the existing Windows Server 2003 OS if it will not be available on Windows Server 2008.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Hello,

So, by parts...

-          Remote Storage (also known as HSM, or Hierarchical Storage Manager) does not ship anymore with Windows Server 2008 – this is true. Customers who use this component on Windows Server 2003 should not upgrade before they recall back their data or if they wish to continue using the service.

-          Yes, Windows Server Backup (in-box) does not support tape.

-          Windows Server 2008 DOES support tape and RSM (Removable Storage Manager) is still there.

Please post if you have more questions regarding this!

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:44 PM