Applies to:

SharePoint server 2010, Windows Server 2008, Fore front Identity manager.


 FIM synchronization services in our one of the SharePoint environment stops or doesn’t start every time our servers are patched and rebooted.



 We have many loges reported in event viewer of the servers. Event ID 3, Event ID 6324, Event ID 3760

EventID 3

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Forefront Identity Manager

Date:          29/06/2014 03:16:04

Event ID:      3

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Server Name.


The TryGetSetting function in SettingsProvider.dll returned an empty set of supported parameters for property, SQLConnectionString.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="">


    <Provider Name="Forefront Identity Manager" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="0">3</EventID>




    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-29T02:16:04.000000000Z" />



    <Computer> Server Name</Computer>

    <Security />



    <Data>The TryGetSetting function in SettingsProvider.dll returned an empty set of supported parameters for property, SQLConnectionString.</Data>



EventID 6324

Log Name:      Application

Source:        FIMSynchronizationService

Date:          29/06/2014 03:18:05

Event ID:      6324

Task Category: Server

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Server Name.


The server encountered an unexpected error and stopped.

EventID 3760

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation

Date:          29/06/2014 03:18:38

Event ID:      3760

Task Category: Database

Level:         Critical


User:          Farm account.

Computer:      Server Name.


SQL Database ‘DB Name; on SQL Server instance ‘SQL Server Instances Name,14331' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Cannot open database "DB Name" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user ‘Farm account name’.




There are different approaches towards troubleshooting this issue as reason for its occurrence is unknown.




Different people had suggested different things:



Such as adding service account into three groups on local machine:

FIMSyncOperator, FIMSyncJoiners and FIMSyncBrowse and errors should go.

But this is essentialy not required for the service to run. These groups essentially do not have the power required to manage FIM.



FIM Sync service should start before FIM service. However it may not be happening. Currently the service is set to Automatic and can be changed to Automatic (Delayed Start).

WWe could deploy a script which will check for the service every 60 seconds, and if it is not running, sends an email to the administrator

  • while ((Get-Service "FIM").status -eq "Running")
  • {Start-Sleep -Seconds 60}
  • Send-MailMessage -From FIM@ps.local -To admin@ps.local -Body "FIM Stopped" -SmtpServer server1

Alternatively, you can put a .cmd file in your Recovery Tab of the service,  and use the following command: Powershell Send-MailMessage



In our case we had also found there were several SQL related error and in further investigation we found that server hosting FIM service were rebooted before the SQL server and once the SQL servers were re-booted FIM services always failed to find it reference to connect to SQL.

Rebooting SQL servers after server hosting FIM services had let FIM sync Services in Start state and resolved our issue.


Read at my Blog: