Summary

This morning we tried connecting to our SharePoint Online using PowerShell and ended up with the below error:

 Connect-SPOService : Identity Client Runtime Library (IDCRL) could not look up the realm information for a federated sign-in. At line:1 char:1 + Connect-SPOService -Url 'https:\\xxxxxxx-admin.SharePoint.com' -Credentia ... +

CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Connect-SPOService], IdcrlException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.IdcrlException,Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell.ConnectSPOService

Background

  • Many web sites and forum post states that issue due to missing DLL import or incorrect versions of DLL
  • We tried from PowerShell ISE - Failed
  • We tried from SharePoint Online Management Shell - Success

Solution

The issue is due to incorrect credentials passed as parameter.



Justification

  • The issue may be due to improper DLL's but before you commit any changes check the parameters and inputs.
  • The error message is not really helpful.
  • Ideally it should throw credential error rather than "Identity Client Runtime Library (IDCRL)"